Things You'd like to bring back to our game.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 17 stone giant said:

Wow, that's it. Awesome! Thank you. ?

Just a shame there's no Ray French commentary. Or the co-commentator saying about the "fancy jig" as he dived over the line. Great try though.

I saw Offiah at Widnes run round the outside of the Wigan team when he was at Widnes, running from his right to the left. Going past I think Hampson who was as good and quick a fullback as any.  Just drew men from the midfield and just went past and over in the corner. An unbelievable try. Sick as a parrot but had to applaud it. 

My memory is that we should have got a penalty for something before it got going. C'est la vie.

Edit... PS, yes I think it's there at the end. Definitely a hard man to line up and nab.

The shoulder charge

Part time Referees

Lions/Kiwis/Kangaroo tours

The 5m rule

County of Origin/War of the Roses

A Teams

Top 8 Premiership Play Off ending with a GF 

Challenge Cup back to traditional weekend

Apart from that I’m happy with the game as it is

- Not sure we ever had it but I'd like to see the all Rugby League nations playing to the same laws - and ideally the same interpretation (the primary example for interpretation is the play the ball but I am starting to sound like a broken record on this one).

- The game to continue for minor injuries.  If a player is stood up and a trainer is wiping a bloody nose there is no reason why all the rest of the players and fans have to wait around.  If the injury is serious the trainer can alert the ref.

- and if I had a magic wand.... I would bring back Central Park, the Rugby League heart of Wigan.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 8/4/2018 at 9:55 AM, scotchy1 said:

No id bring them back and do them better. 

You can't bring them back if they never previously existed, as you have been told.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Winter RL

Open terraces

Snow and sleet

No internet forums

No team news until you got inside the grounds

Being told "it's none of your business by club committee members"

The River Caves

Steam rising behind the long stand at Crown Flatt at half time

Aussies in the team being an exotic rarity

The Rugby Leaguer

Knees that don't creak

Travelling everywhere by bus

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

10 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I would have thought a Superfan like you would remember that all those things have existed

Good old scotchy - never knowingly wrong.

9's series - no can't remember that.

better beer at stadiums - all I remember is it was always rubbish

heritage round - sorry, I've forgotten that one too

...a million other things: where's the list?

4 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Good old scotchy - never knowingly wrong.

9's series - no can't remember that.

better beer at stadiums - all I remember is it was always rubbish

heritage round - sorry, I've forgotten that one too

...a million other things: where's the list?

There was a British Coal 9s series back in the late 1980s IIRC. It was even televised on BBC Sportsnight 

On 8/4/2018 at 2:02 PM, Rupert Prince said:

Ah yes, the heady days of the Isle of Man and hotels designed for hairy bikers. And seasickness.

Although in my case it was flying there in a Ford Transit on wings.

Shorts 360 by any chance? ?

Signing current Aussie / NZ  test players on short term deals in their off season

Striking at the play the ball

Proper programmes at a reasonable price - not just glossy pages with the same stuff churned out each week

Sunday afternoon games and large away support

Standing up

Transfer fees / rumours / cross code signings

Tour games against NZ and Australia and tours that lasted a couple of weeks

The smell of aftershave, alcohol and tobacco at Boxing Day derbies 

Boxing Day derbies

Tough away games in Cumbria

2 hours ago, headtackle said:

Signing current Aussie / NZ  test players on short term deals in their off season

Striking at the play the ball

Proper programmes at a reasonable price - not just glossy pages with the same stuff churned out each week

Sunday afternoon games and large away support

Standing up

Transfer fees / rumours / cross code signings

Tour games against NZ and Australia and tours that lasted a couple of weeks

The smell of aftershave, alcohol and tobacco at Boxing Day derbies 

Boxing Day derbies

Tough away games in Cumbria

I take it as read from that we’re changing the season again to winter ! Last one never changes ( usually )

Archived