New Stadium for Workington

Rango

6 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Who is Mark Jenkinson? 

Doesn't seem happy anyway, maybe invite him to first home game next season to get him on side?

I am onside, I want what’s best for both clubs, the comets and taxpayers.

I fear that people get carried away with promises of shiny new stadiums without considering all of the cold, hard facts.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Mark Jenkinson said:

I fear that people get carried away with promises of shiny new stadiums without considering all of the cold, hard facts.

So what are the facts

13 minutes ago, Mark Jenkinson said:

Still don't know who you are marra. Something to do with the Reds?

1 minute ago, Mark Jenkinson said:

The first one is that it has to be paid for. If the council borrow for it, they want income to match the payments - c.£900k/year on £15m according to ABCs figures. 

£17,000/ week before you’ve turned on the floodlights or paid a steward.

mark did you ever consider music events etc. Added interest and possible new fans for town and the reds. The  RL world cup game. Improved facilities for kids?  

If MJ ( im asuming he is a Reds fan) cares about both clubs and the speedway maybe the best way would be for Reds to move in with town and redeveloped DP together so the speedy can continue - 3 clubs in one stadium...

Would prefer a shiny new stadium with a joint club shop and improved bars and food outlets though.

1 minute ago, town4me said:

mark did you ever consider music events etc. Added interest and possible new fans for town and the reds. The  RL world cup game. Improved facilities for kids?  

I’ve considered it all. And then I consider the £17k per week, 52 weeks of the year again.

With regards to facilities for kids, who are hardly going to see the new pitch with two (possibly three with Koukash?) semi-pro  teams playing and training, Id rather see money spent on grassroots - https://www.facebook.com/711227022228907/posts/2095256317159297/

3 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

If MJ ( im asuming he is a Reds fan) cares about both clubs and the speedway maybe the best way would be for Reds to move in with town and redeveloped DP together so the speedy can continue - 3 clubs in one stadium...

Would prefer a shiny new stadium with a joint club shop and improved bars and food outlets though.

I would have thought that the incremental redevelopment of either stadium would be more sustainable in the long term.

1 hour ago, Mark Jenkinson said:

I have never said that anyone was paid £800k for the training pitch. I’m well aware of what was paid. If I had, I would have been £625k out.

Your apology is accepted.

I've just read it again and you said £800k + if I knew how to do it i would attach your post onto here. You know what you posted so no apology required from me.

3 minutes ago, unicorn106 said:

I've just read it again and you said £800k + if I knew how to do it i would attach your post onto here. You know what you posted so no apology required from me.

A link to it would be fine.

What I actually said was that it could be as much as £800k if the training pitch payout was a yardstick. A rough area calculation on google maps suggests the training pitch was 18% of the leased land.

(£175k/18)*82=£797k

The previous payout for the Tesco land was c.£450k

8 minutes ago, unicorn106 said:

Facebook I th

Just now, Mark Jenkinson said:

A link to it would be fine.

What I actually said was that it could be as much as £800k if the training pitch payout was a yardstick. A rough area calculation on google maps suggests the training pitch was 18% of the leased land.

(£175k/18)*82=£797k

The previous payout for the Tesco land was c.£450k

As I said in an earlier post Town wouldn't be expecting hardly anything for moving to a new stadium they probably would just surrender the lease and you know that.

8 hours ago, Mark Jenkinson said:

The first one is that it has to be paid for. If the council borrow for it, they want income to match the payments - c.£900k/year on £15m according to ABCs figures. 

£17,000/ week before you’ve turned on the floodlights or paid a steward.

How much of the borrowing would be offset by the sale of the Derwent Park land footprint ?

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

5 minutes ago, Derwent said:

How much of the borrowing would be offset by the sale of the Derwent Park land footprint ?

Who knows? It had a gross book value of £45k in 2014 according to ABC. Current access is only via the little bridge, as ABC sold off the only other access to Tesco. There is the possibility of an access road over the training pitch site, but that is in the hands of the AIP and whoever they sell it to now that Marstons won't be building it.

Should DP become available for sale, there is an obligation to offer it to the AIP first, and so far they don't have a great track record delivering land values, with even less back to the council.

8 hours ago, Mark Jenkinson said:

Wouldn’t you think?

Only time will tell.

Yes it will but don't let what will probably happen get in the way of you trying to rile the Reds fans by telling them they will be the poor relations in the deal. It's not about just getting a WC game either, it's about securing the future of both clubs.

Just now, unicorn106 said:

Yes it will but don't let what will probably happen get in the way of you trying to rile the Reds fans by telling them they will be the poor relations in the deal. It's not about just getting a WC game either, it's about securing the future of both clubs.

If that future isn't sustainable, then there is no future.

1 minute ago, unicorn106 said:

Not having to maintain 2 crumbling stadiums makes it more sustainable.

The amount spent on maintenance by both clubs in a year is less than 5 weeks worth of interest payments on £15m.

I'm not saying either club can carry on as they are, but the incremental development of one stadium is a more sustainable option all round.

As ever Mr Jenkinson is highlighting the negatives and ignoring the positives, he has no interest in either club but more just in being the loudest in the room to enhance his "political career". Plucking figures out of the air like the land being worth £800k to Workington town is laughable and he knows it, its all about winding up the Reds fans to cause friction. Quite pathetic really.

6 minutes ago, Mark Jenkinson said:

The amount spent on maintenance by both clubs in a year is less than 5 weeks worth of interest payments on £15m.

I'm not saying either club can carry on as they are, but the incremental development of one stadium is a more sustainable option all round.

No it isnt, its completely wasted money to do a staged redevelopment of any old ground like the 2 in our town, considering both will need the entirety of the stadium rebuilt to meet current regulations etc. The majority of money spent on any large project is on Management, procurement and mobilisation, all of which are better done in one go rather than multiple efforts, obviously.

2 minutes ago, dkw said:

No it isnt, its completely wasted money to do a staged redevelopment of any old ground like the 2 in our town, considering both will need the entirety of the stadium rebuilt to meet current regulations etc. The majority of money spent on any large project is on Management, procurement and mobilisation, all of which are better done in one go rather than multiple efforts, obviously.

I never said it was the cheapest option, but to build new capacity as required is more sustainable, especially when the money is borrowed.

On the same note, there's no requirement for a £15m 8000 capacity stadium. The Peninsula Stadium redevelopment was £5m,, with much shorter timescales and still has 28,000 sq. ft of office space for additional income streams.

Archived