New Stadium for Workington

Rango

13 minutes ago, Mark Jenkinson said:

I’d have exactly the same opinion. I’m not against a new stadium, perhaps you missed all the times I made my position clear. 

But while we’re on the subject of the AIP, that would be the same AIP that has identified Borough Park and Lonsdale Park for retail development? Is it going to be the site of a new stadium? It can’t be both.

E17474CD-3382-417E-AAEB-567F3F31C546.jpeg

Why cant it be both? Borough park and lonsdale park must cover a massive area, leaving plenty of room for retail developments, wether that is contained within the new stadium or on the remaining land around the stadium. 

I still get the impression all of this is over an access road across the road from the new stadium and not the new stadium itself. 

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Mark Jenkinson said:

Members loans are the loan notes issued to ABC for the land and to the S.á.r.l. For the equivalent cash.

The initial agreement was that 12% interest was paid on loan notes, so the council would see a ‘return’ on their input until profits were realised. The interest rate was reduced to 0% last year.

C0A200E0-5FEA-4382-8E1D-0033C2EC61A9.jpeg

How did they get that approved?

Despite it's opposition by some.,  Workington Leisure Centre was built. I am a member, great facility. 2 Hours free parking and more. Nip into town after a work out. If you intend to work out longer park at Hag Hill, free all day. A few minutes walk, count it as part of your workout.

The new stadium,  will overcome any opposition,  will be built and be magnificent. . "Build it and they will come" I said that.

Perfect size !! - Really !!

I would much rather have a nice compact 5,000 capacity stadium, which in reality is still too big for both clubs to come anywhere near filling!

In the last 20 years, how many of Town's crowds have been over 5k?  and in the last 40 years how many of Reds crowds has been over 2k?

Even under the successful Peter Walsh years, Towns average attendance was around the 3-3500k mark.

Seems a bit over the top to me, I know the World Cup is looming, but is the additional cost of the larger capacity really worth it for 1 or 2 representative games every few years? 

It would make more financial sense to have a reduced capacity stadium in Workington and play the bigger rep games at Carlisle's Brunton Park which has a 12k capacity for the odd occasion the County will get.

Another option would be to alter the design to allow for temporary stands behind the goals for big games such as the World Cup, then after the competition the capacity resorts to a more manageable size. This system has been used countless times before in big tournaments so obviously works

I think 8k is about right. One of the reason for new stadia is to attract more fans and also it may be used for events as well as matches.  You're  right on.the crowd figures of the past  but room  and scope for improvement is needed too. IMO.

The design looks good,says a mix of seats and standing which is excellent news,now just got to get it past those that aren't happy with progress in the area and the speedway lot who are starting to kick up a fuss.Let's give the sporting public rugby/football a facility to be proud of.

Anything less than 8k would preclude the ground from an opportunity to host sports, music and other events, I think its a pretty good level. Looks fantastic too. Didnt the first design show the ground on the ol greyhound track and reds ground as a car park? I think this one looks much better.

1 minute ago, Route66 said:

The design looks good,says a mix of seats and standing which is excellent news,now just got to get it past those that aren't happy with progress in the area and the speedway lot who are starting to kick up a fuss.Let's give the sporting public rugby/football a facility to be proud of.

regarding speedway owner is constantly threatening to pull the plug and the council don't want to take that risk 

10 minutes ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

spectator sports are a declining market, live streaming will see a continued decline in crowds , so I stand by my opinion that an 8k capacity stadium in Workington is more than double what both clubs need 

Thats your opinion fair enough.  But it isn't just a facility for town and reds. Multi-purpose  stadiums are common now.

I'm all for the stadium in principal and multipurpose stadia are the way forward, but how many events will see the stadium full to capacity or even at 50% capacity?

The area needs a modern stadium, but I'm questioning the size of the ground not the concept.

I read a while ago that lower league football clubs developing new stadiums were told not to have a capacity more than 3 times their average crowd over the previous 10 years if they wanted to maintain an atmosphere in the ground on a matchday.   

Reds - 500 species in an 8k would be 7% of the capacity, even if Town could get up to 1000 species that would only be 1/8th of the capacity

3 minutes ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

I'm all for the stadium in principal and multipurpose stadia are the way forward, but how many events will see the stadium full to capacity or even at 50% capacity?

The area needs a modern stadium, but I'm questioning the size of the ground not the concept.

I read a while ago that lower league football clubs developing new stadiums were told not to have a capacity more than 3 times their average crowd over the previous 10 years if they wanted to maintain an atmosphere in the ground on a matchday.   

Reds - 500 species in an 8k would be 7% of the capacity, even if Town could get up to 1000 species that would only be 1/8th of the capacity

If it was solely for town and reds to play on i would agree but i dont think that's the idea mate.  A 5k stadium used once a week with little scope to attract events wouldn't be good. 

2 hours ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

Looking at the design all the ground covered in,bound to have a better atmosphere than derwent park which is essentially a 10000 capacity bowl with open ends,get it built asap

Looks great and just what is needed for both teams to get the next generation of supporters coming and also better facilities for sponsors.However did the RFL not change the rules for staging World Cup games to a minimum 10,000 capacity stadium after the Kiwis complained about Derwent Park after the Scotland game.

I also think that with a shared stadium both clubs could look at a shared season ticket offer for people like myself who follow both teams.

Archived