Golden Point ?

DavidM

Golden point is fine for knock-out games. Keep it simple.

It's rubbish for league games. I enjoy a draw.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

5 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

On the flip side (ish), I am fed up of the 'he gets a minute' when someone takes a conversion or wins a penalty and decides to kick a goal.

As a speccy, I haven't paid my money to watch a bloke deliberately and legally stand around and run a minute off the clock. The ref should call time off when the penalty is awarded, with say 15 seconds to decide what to do and 45 seconds to take it - but with the clock stopped until the kick is taken.

If we go to the video ref they should only get 30 secs. 

Some of the actions of the players and coaches really do need to be questioned. They are the first to moan about the authorities, but most of the negative tactics come from them.

6 hours ago, Dave T said:

Clocks to speed up the game are a must. I don't mean speed up the play etc. but the games take longer because we stop for everything right now. I'd have clocks for drop-outs, kick offs after scores, scrums, and more where necessary.

Many players are taking the pee at the moment.

My dad calls it “The LMS”

16 hours ago, Dave T said:

If we go to the video ref they should only get 30 secs. 

Why? I can’t think of one good thing that would come from that. 

The referees are too quick to use the video ref, I’m sure that some referees try and go to the screen when their loved ones ask what they want for tea, but that’s not the video referees fault. 

Ultimately, like many areas of the game, investment is needed there. Maybe in goal officials at all games could be a step in the right direction. 

32 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Why? I can’t think of one good thing that would come from that. 

The referees are too quick to use the video ref, I’m sure that some referees try and go to the screen when their loved ones ask what they want for tea, but that’s not the video referees fault. 

Ultimately, like many areas of the game, investment is needed there. Maybe in goal officials at all games could be a step in the right direction. 

I realised that on its own that my point doesn't read right. I meant the kickers. They should get a minute, but if it has gone to the VR it should be half that, as they can have the ball lined up. At the moment we can see 2 or 3 minutes with the VR, the try being awarded and then a kicker using up another minute and a half or so.

Agree that we shouldn't limit the time for VR's, there is a process to go through.

14 hours ago, DavidM said:

Wonder if the radical idea of playing the ball with the foot was proposed . Not difficult to bring in , or to do 

My feeling on this to stop any further differences in the game. We (SL) should agree to align our game to the NRL adopting all their interpretations. I would even bring some sort of referee exchange through the season were refs are asked to spend a month in each comp. I’d do this on the understanding that further rule changes would be agreed by the game as a whole rather than just one branch of it. 

1 hour ago, bobbruce said:

My feeling on this to stop any further differences in the game. We (SL) should agree to align our game to the NRL adopting all their interpretations. I would even bring some sort of referee exchange through the season were refs are asked to spend a month in each comp. I’d do this on the understanding that further rule changes would be agreed by the game as a whole rather than just one branch of it. 

Well this is a great point . As I was watching the games yesterday I was thinking about us playing the ANZACS in international games and thinking how bizarre it will be with both teams used to different play the ball rulings among others 

On 9/19/2018 at 3:57 PM, DavidM said:

Reports in the Sun that a rules meeting discussed shot clocks for scrums and drop outs , with more complaints about the length of games .... and the introduction of golden point 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/7281322/rugby-league-considering-bringing-in-golden-point-extra-time-for-all-matches/

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 6:12 PM, DavidM said:

Wonder if the radical idea of playing the ball with the foot was proposed . Not difficult to bring in , or to do 

Steady on, DM; that's a bit radical!

3 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Steady on, DM; that's a bit radical!

Can you imagine if someone put their hand up and quietly suggested it ... everyone else looks down , shuffles papers and said person leaves room in total embarrassment 

Like many on here, I see nothing wrong with a draw after 80 minutes, unless there is a practical factor, like the need to determine a winner in a knock-out competition.

I sense that sport worldwide is becoming increasingly influenced by North American (and possibly Australian) practice.  Even there, it was not always like that. For instance, those of us who are both ice hockey fans and 'of a certain age' (i.e. me!) can recall when the NHL was perfectly content to have draws (or 'ties' as they were known) in regulation season matches.

If there was to be a change, then I cannot see the logic of giving one point each for a draw after 80 minutes, and then an extra point to the ultimate winner, as this means that some games are contested for three points, but the majority only for two.  Surely more logical would be to give a winner after 80 minutes 3 points (and the loser none) and split the three points 2-1 for a match which went to overtime/extra time/call it what you will!

But as I say, I am happy with a draw (incidentally, I wonder what our North American correspondents [or those from closer at hand, come to that] make of the notion that in test match cricket it is possible to play for 30 hours and then agree that it is a draw, shake hands and head for the pavilion bar!)

I don't like the notion of a clock limiting the time taken to restart.  I suspect the consequence will be that teams magically adjust to take the maximum time allowed - no more, no less! - to get the ball back in play.  We need to go back to the notion that an injury - other than a probable head injury - doesn't stop play.  If the team due to restart prevaricate, penalise them for unsportsmanlike conduct.  If the in-goal official or touch judge sees a defending player kick the ball away instead of gathering it up and getting it to the player who will restart, penalise them for unsportsmanlike conduct.  For instance, a team delaying a drop-out from their own goal line will soon wise up when they have handed their opponents a couple of 'gift wrapped' penalties, ten yards out, dead straight in front of the posts!  We just don't need nonsense like ticking clocks!  use the laws we already have!

13 hours ago, bobbruce said:

I think in principle this is just plain wrong and is not the way things should be done. Rule changes should be made by the RLIF with input from the governing bodies.

However in practice the NRL seem to have no appetite for this. Also as we always seem to ultimately copy the NRL your idea of alignment certainly has a lot of merit. I am torn though because in principle this just seems completely wrong. For the reasons in my first paragraph I also can't see the NRL then agreeing with your game changes by the game as a whole idea because if they would then they would already be doing it.

On 9/19/2018 at 9:57 AM, DavidM said:

Reports in the Sun that a rules meeting discussed shot clocks for scrums and drop outs , with more complaints about the length of games .... and the introduction of golden point 

I listened to Dave Wood's podcast where he talked about proposed changes and a lot of these make sense to stop teams slowing down play but was he talking seriously about "5 yards at the play the ball" being in that discussion or just him winding up the journalist?

Playing the ball has to be one of the worst ways that teams slow the game down and no two referees seem to measure the delay the same way. Even when they do blow up the attacking teams seem to have come off worse because the defending side get back into formation as they intended!

I don't get it.  GP in tournaments? Sure.

I don't think there are enough draws for this to be an issue worth changing.  I mean it's not football, every time I see a draw in RL I think to my self "wow what are the chances!". (for those wondering the chances, the bookies i use normally have it around 20/1)

On 9/19/2018 at 9:57 AM, DavidM said:

Shot clocks to make the game shorter and golden point to make the game longer...

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

On 9/19/2018 at 1:18 PM, Manxmanc said:

A draw acknowledges the efforts of both sides over 80 minutes and I think most UK audiences, in particular, see 1point each as a fair reward.

If it was decided that a Golden Point be introduced, then each side should perhaps receive a point each after 80 minutes, with an additional point for the final victor.

Some of us non-Brits see 1 point each as the right result in league matches too.

Archived