Toronto...the next Heartlands?

11 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

Or or..now hang on tight because i know that might be a hard concept...this will help attract more big sponsorship?! Not your local Nigel's corner pub kinda stuff but actual major corporations...you know the kind relevant sports get?  Also in a country where RL wasn't on the radar for the vast majority of the population how is bringing  a proper test match not seen as a significant step towards growing rugby league? The English fans moan all the freaking time about not having enough test matches in the UK and were already planning on having some here.

Step aside moaners and groaners...step aside

I'm sure a test between NZ and Eng will be a decent day out in Toronto and much craft beer will be supped by the tourists. It will do ###### all to grow Canadian RL though. 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Gluedo said:

I'm sure a test between NZ and Eng will be a decent day out in Toronto and much craft beer will be supped by the tourists. It will do ###### all to grow Canadian RL though. 

That's the spirit!!!

But sorry to disappoint, BMO is all crapwiser beers so no craft brews.

26 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

You are being very difficult, you know that it is a work in progress, no one has ever pretended any different.  More fair to ask your questions in a few years...and you know it.

The long term plans have been made quite clear...and you also know that.

No,

I know little about the game in Canada that is why I asked you those questions.

I see the "Hype" and that is ok but where is the substance, is it forbidden to ask?

Could you run me past the long term plans again, I did not see them the first time they were put out there.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

3 minutes ago, Allora said:

No,

I know little about the game in Canada that is why I asked you those questions.

I see the "Hype" and that is ok but where is the substance, is it forbidden to ask?

Could you run me past the long term plans again, I did not see them the first time they were put out there.

Everything is public (and you know it), from the developmental partnership with Manchester University et. al.  Its all out there...quit trying to have me on.  You know its a 5 Year Plan....quit trying to waste my time.

44 minutes ago, Gluedo said:

At least more people will become aware of RL. If it is continued (unlike the Denver test) then it is likely it will grow Canadian RL.

34 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Everything is public (and you know it), from the developmental partnership with Manchester University et. al.  Its all out there...quit trying to have me on.  You know its a 5 Year Plan....quit trying to waste my time.

You keep saying I know it. Out where?

I have told you I don't.

Lets leave it here, smoke and mirrors and a heavy dose of BS is all I smell.

Enjoy your weekend. 

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

1 minute ago, Allora said:

I have told you I don't.

Enjoy your weekend. 

Ever hear of google?  No BS whatsoever on this end.....just google it.

P.S. You have a good weekend too...I'll be doing some sea kayaking and then some cliff hiking....maybe even a round of golf.   Hopefully the Wolfpack wins ....that would be the icing on the cake!

Have a good weekend.

31 minutes ago, c0c0nutz said:

At least more people will become aware of RL. If it is continued (unlike the Denver test) then it is likely it will grow Canadian RL.

How many British kids do you think will grow up to play American Football in the NFL in 10 years time because they play a match at Wembley once or twice a year?

This is the point being made. Toronto will get into the Super League but no Canadians will get into Super League. 

3 hours ago, Gluedo said:

How many British kids do you think will grow up to play American Football in the NFL in 10 years time because they play a match at Wembley once or twice a year?

This is the point being made. Toronto will get into the Super League but no Canadians will get into Super League. 

I think it will mostly be the Wolfpack that gradually get more kids playing RL here, both by drawing people in, and by the work they do on the ground supporting amateur rugby league. But an international match once in a while would also help raise the profile. I think we will see a few Canadians playing in Super League in years to come, but it will take many years, and will be a trickle at first.

Twp don't have any Canadian players,history,away fans etc,yep,all true and I'm quite sure their fans need reminding of this on a daily basis,no matter what the op in a thread may be.Once again,they haven't really won anything yet so therefore the Toronto project is a dismal failure and one can only hope that a certain north Korean points his alleged nuclear weapons in their general direction.However,before we get TOO trigger happy,may I please point out that in their 2 year history (pathetic,I know right)? They have certainly captured our imagination and are currently knocking on the sl trapdoor.Ok,they aren't the second coming of Christ as a few of their supporters claim they are but by definition they are already the heartland of rugby league in North America and will continue to be so. 

Dunno, but how much money does the NFL make out of Britain? There's more to it than players. 

Currently atleast 5

https://www.keithprowse.co.uk/news-and-blog/2017/03/17/five-british-players-to-watch-in-the-nfl-this-year/

4 hours ago, Gluedo said:

Currently atleast 5

https://www.keithprowse.co.uk/news-and-blog/2017/03/17/five-british-players-to-watch-in-the-nfl-this-year/

12 hours ago, Gluedo said:

Quite a few Australians play in the NFL or US college competitions because they were inspired by seeing the NFL on TV.

In fact, just the other day a South Sydney junior was signed by an NFL team. 

9 hours ago, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

Twp don't have any Canadian players,history,away fans etc,yep,all true 

Some interviews with Wolfpack fans in the UK. One couple made their first ever trip to the uk to see the game.

17 hours ago, Allora said:

I have told you I don't.

Enjoy your weekend. 

Go and do some research. Have a look at the Canadian RL page. Like TWP on Facebook. Read their webpage. It’s not BS. They’ve been together two years and have achieved beyond anyone’s wildest dreams so far. Yes foundations are weak but give them a chance... RL clubs aren’t built in a day.

Toronto remind me of what London promised to do in creating a great match day experience, London failed to deliver but I really see Toronto re writing the rule book for what is required for a modern day match experience.

Im looking forward to seeing the growth of the club and the much needed expansion of clubs and ideas that will take the game forward once again

All I gotta say is there are some angry old timers on this thread.  

Toronto have done amazingly. Proud of our team.  They have earned it on the field, and in the stands (whether or not they have to play in the mpg)

19 minutes ago, TboneFromTO said:

Toronto have done amazingly. Proud of our team.  They have earned it on the field, and in the stands (whether or not they have to play in the mpg)

It disappoints me to hear anything negative about RL especially about astonishing stories such as Toronto   We need them as well as the likes of Red Star , Toulouse etc . We need the overall RL world to be strong to inspire generations of players to take up the game wether that is in the traditional heartland of the game or new areas

17 hours ago, iangidds said:

It disappoints me to hear anything negative about RL especially about astonishing stories such as Toronto   We need them as well as the likes of Red Star , Toulouse etc . We need the overall RL world to be strong to inspire generations of players to take up the game wether that is in the traditional heartland of the game or new areas

You need youth cocker. Or you have nothing.

On 9/29/2018 at 8:54 AM, TboneFromTO said:

They have done well at marketing.

What if a Roman Abramovich type wanted to start a Moscow RL team and decided to buy the Wigan team to do it - chicken feed in monetary terms compared to the cost of a EPL team. Would that help or hinder British RL?

13 minutes ago, Gluedo said:

They have done well at marketing.

What if a Roman Abramovich type wanted to start a Moscow RL team and decided to buy the Wigan team to do it - chicken feed in monetary terms compared to the cost of a EPL team. Would that help or hinder British RL?

Would a competition with some of the best talent on the pitch be attractive to fans, sponsors and kids? Your view on this is your answer to your question.

11 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

Would a competition with some of the best talent on the pitch be attractive to fans, sponsors and kids? Your view on this is your answer to your question.

Played in Wigan it is good for British RL, played in Moscow I am less sure to be honest. 

Archived