2021 World Cup Format

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/2021-world-cup-format-revealed/?fbclid=IwAR17HDshczrjSh7z18tD_Mv6nCYYw_a5jFBdfdAHFrRkoMkJv_R4FDRnlvk

Four Groups of 4 with 2 to go through from each group

Pot 1: England, Australia, New Zealand an Tonga

Pot 2: Lebanon, Samoa, PNG and Fiji

Pot 3: France, Wales plus 6 others

Looks like they are moving this away from a skewed draw where its fixed England and Australia play in the first game. I must say I was hoping this would happen, makes it more conventional and gives all the Pot 2 and 3 nations a real chance of making the Q/F

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m never quite on top of the whole qualifying scenario . It seems a bit convoluted , and with the home nations teams and France it appears you’re gonna get there anyway it may just take a bit longer . You’d think there’d be a simpler format ?

16 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I’m never quite on top of the whole qualifying scenario . It seems a bit convoluted , and with the home nations teams and France it appears you’re gonna get there anyway it may just take a bit longer . You’d think there’d be a simpler format ?

Well yes the strongest teams are likely to qualify, that is how sport tends to work..

Nice to see a more conventional format. Yes, we may get some big scores from the 'big' teams in the group stages but I don't know why we should be afraid of that... It just create a a highlight reel of great tries.

According to the form provided by the pots the quarters would be some combination of pots 1 and 2 but I would expect some of the so called smaller nations ( France in particular) to ensure that doesn't happen.

Again, form would suggest an Australia, New Zealand, England and Tonga semi final line up but that is also not guaranteed. 

The only problem with all this is it seems far too far away!

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 minutes ago, Evil Homer said:

Well yes the strongest teams are likely to qualify, that is how sport tends to work..

Not always in something like football . My point is they draw out this process in RL but we don’t really have the strength in depth as we go on beyond these sides . I guess the point is do we have enough when we get there to justify 16 teams  at the WC ? 

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Not always in something like football . My point is they draw out this process in RL but we don’t really have the strength in depth as we go on beyond these sides . I guess the point is do we have enough when we get there to justify 16 teams  at the WC ? 

I'm not sure what your point is at all, are you trying to say that nations shouldn't have to qualify for the RLWC?

10 minutes ago, Evil Homer said:

I'm not sure what your point is at all, are you trying to say that nations shouldn't have to qualify for the RLWC?

No , but I’m wondering about the justification and viability of having 16 teams at the WC .  The qualification process is not that challenging to get there , which says at least it’s an area of debate .As I see Ireland and Scotland play next year with Italy , Spain , Greece and Russia i think and four teams make the WC ? 

4 minutes ago, DavidM said:

No , but I’m wondering about the justification and viability of having 16 teams at the WC .  The qualification process is not that challenging to get there , which says at least it’s an area of debate .As I see Ireland and Scotland play next year with Italy , Spain , Greece and Russia i think and four teams make the WC ? 

The only issue for 2021 is that they are giving too many direct places to Europe, it would've been better to have only three direct European qualifiers and the fourth team in the repechage with Cook Islands, SA and the American runner-up.

1 minute ago, Evil Homer said:

The only issue for 2021 is that they are giving too many direct places to Europe, it would've been better to have only three direct European qualifiers and the fourth team in the repechage with Cook Islands, SA and the American runner-up.

I was wondering about the Cook Islands . I watched them in 2013 and they seem to have gone off the radar 

OK guys, I think we've got used to 'fixed' draws with all the top teams in one group

If I understand this correctly, this is going to be a traditional draw. One team from each pot in each of four groups. So England, Australia, NZ and Tonga will be in separate groups, each with a team from Pot 2, Pot 3 and Pot 4

2 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

OK guys, I think we've got used to 'fixed' draws with all the top teams in one group

If I understand this correctly, this is going to be a traditional draw. One team from each pot in each of four groups. So England, Australia, NZ and Tonga will be in separate groups, each with a team from Pot 2, Pot 3 and Pot 4

Correct.

rldfsignature.jpg

1 minute ago, paulwalker71 said:

That's exactly how I read it

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

1 minute ago, paulwalker71 said:

Yes . Or one group is unbelievably loaded and the rest will be doing handstands and thinking ‘ hey we can get to the final ‘ 

Great idea gives the minnows. The.  Chance to play the big boys as well as teams in the second tier 

I think its about time the skewed draw was dropped - odds are against the big 4 failing to make the quarters but there really could be the odd surprise package by 2021 and i am not sure all the 4 are guaranteed semi appearances 

You cannot get away deform the top 4 and that’s OK but its really good that at long last a World Cup will show what strength in depth all 4 now have in the group stages as they play teams that will be desperate to knock them down a peg or two and prove a point

Looking froward to it

Archived