Public Meeting at the Vestacare Stadium

Dave Naylor

22 hours ago, eclecticsheep said:

First  lets be able to see the game on the Whitebank road side eh Dave?

The monorail will run down the side of Whitebank Road, and stop for the duration of the match.....love these modern times.

QUIS CUSTODIAT IPSOS CUSTODES

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The club should  be applauded for this initiative.

I would like to think that on the night there will be lots of positive input and suggestions from supporters. I would then hope that the club takes note and then does everything possible to implement them.

I really hope Rugby Oldham will be represented at the meeting.

My suggestions to help the club reengage with the towns Rugby community and lapsed fans. 

Stop referring to "the new and old club"

Recognise and celebrate our full history.

Rugby Oldham do a fantastic feature on facebook highlighting players from all eras. Id love to see this showcased to a wider audience via the club and these players invited to be part of the clubs future.

Regarding engaging with amateur clubs.

We have the advantage of a great weather proof surface.

The club could host local derbies at different age groups as curtain raisers with discounted tickets available to family and friends of the players.

During school summer holidays when the amateur clubs have a break a 9s competition could be held at the ground before home fixtures. Maybe get some of the players to take some coaching sessions.

Whilst conversation between the club and the fans is greatly appreciated,why now? When a few fans attempted to meet with the chairman a few seasons ago it all came to nothing causing more resentment. I'm not anti anyone but this has come as a bit of a bolt out of the blue. Hmm.

36 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

Whilst conversation between the club and the fans is greatly appreciated,why now? When a few fans attempted to meet with the chairman a few seasons ago it all came to nothing causing more resentment. I'm not anti anyone but this has come as a bit of a bolt out of the blue. Hmm.

Isn't it maybe the enforced temporary change of management that has brought about the change? Whatever the reason, surely no-one wants to be looking a gift horse in the mouth.

1 hour ago, moorside roughyed said:

When a few fans attempted to meet with the chairman a few seasons ago it all came to nothing causing more resentment. 

I was one of the fans, and I think that with one other we are still attending. 

I never felt any resentment from any fans and if anyone asked me a question I would answer but there was elements of the meetings which was confidential. I can't remember what they were. 

Hopefully tomorrow will be more fruitful 

1 hour ago, clifford said:

I was one of the fans, and I think that with one other we are still attending. 

I never felt any resentment from any fans and if anyone asked me a question I would answer but there was elements of the meetings which was confidential. I can't remember what they were. 

Hopefully tomorrow will be more fruitful 

I meant resentment towards the club mate. I know you were one of the fans who took time out to try and make a difference and I applauded you all for that. Can't make it tomorrow (family stuff) but I'm sure they'll be something on the website at some stage. I do hope it bears at least something. 

21 hours ago, herbie said:

Stop referring to "the new and old club"

Recognise and celebrate our full history.

I second that, does my head that pre-1997 the town didn't seem to have a club!

Was planning on attending but now sadly can't, hopefully we will get to hear one way or another what went on.

The thing that strikes me about this thread is the amount of time volunteering is mentioned. I know that there are many who would, and will, volunteer and the hope is that the club accepts the help. What has gone before in terms of other meetings needs to be left behind. Learn from history dont replicate it. I do think this is a genuine move from the club probably prompted by Anne being more among the fans than Mr Hamilton is.

Open minds and positive thoughts all. Enjoy the meeting. I only wish we could be there.

On 12/3/2018 at 10:13 AM, herbie said:

The club should  be applauded for this initiative.

I would like to think that on the night there will be lots of positive input and suggestions from supporters. I would then hope that the club takes note and then does everything possible to implement them.

I really hope Rugby Oldham will be represented at the meeting. 

Rugby Oldham will be well represented this evening!

I agree with Herbie, we must get away from old Club / New Club. There is just one club. You never hear other clubs saying this. I think a lot of this goes back to CH and his views in years gone by, but we must embrace the past to go forward. We have been one of the leading clubs throughout the history of the sport.  We may have had a lesser few years, but we will rise again!

The problem is that the present day team has been celebrating 10,15 & 20 years anniversaries and thus drawing a massive line in the sand. 

There lies the problem. 1876 is the starting point and therefore rugby in Oldham is 142 years young. 

IMHO there could be a celebration of 145 years in 2021 and thus bringing both versions of professional rugby teams which represent the town of Oldham. 

The tag line

one town one team onwards together 

Hopefully that will bring people back together and forget the mess of the bears watersheddings and playing out of town 

OK, let's try and put this to bed for good.

The dictionary describes a club thus "A club is an organization of people interested in a particular activity or subject who usually meet on a regular basis."

Notice that there is no mention of a business!!!

It is an old cliché in any sport that "the club is the fans" which bears out the above.

In other words there was a business called Oldham RLFC (or something along those lines)which acted as a vehicle for the Rugby club, in 1997 that business went bankrupt, so another vehicle was introduced for the club to run on. Unless everybody who supported ORLFC in 1997 stopped supporting them at that point, and a whole new bunch of people started supporting them for the following season, then by definition IT IS the same club.

Can't be there tonight, but wait with baited breath to hear the outcomes.

Some positive posts on twitter, at least ideas of where we are and where we need to go.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

There are quite a few tweets so best to read them there!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Looks like we have hired some marketing and PR help.  

Very good and seemingly productive meeting, some great ideas floated. 

Really positive vibe overall from both fans and the club representatives. Many topics discussed which I'm sure will be relayed in detail over the coming days. 

Scott Naylor, honest as ever on the playing side of things, told it as it is for sure. 

Was glad I went, thought it might have been a bit of a bun fight but I was wrong, credit to the club for doing this, I think more positives were gained over the evening than negatives, and I tell you if the passion showed from those present tonight in some animated discussions could have been bottled, we would be top of SL! 

A great night overall. Fair play ?

7 hours ago, roughyed34 said:

Very good and seemingly productive meeting, some great ideas floated. 

Really positive vibe overall from both fans and the club representatives. Many topics discussed which I'm sure will be relayed in detail over the coming days. 

Scott Naylor, honest as ever on the playing side of things, told it as it is for sure. 

Was glad I went, thought it might have been a bit of a bun fight but I was wrong, credit to the club for doing this, I think more positives were gained over the evening than negatives, and I tell you if the passion showed from those present tonight in some animated discussions could have been bottled, we would be top of SL! 

A great night overall. Fair play ?

I just hope that all this sudden change of tack from the club regarding communication between club and fans hasn't come too late. Fingers crossed. The news of this meeting came as a big surprise to myself,a welcome surprise but a big surprise nonetheless. Let's see if the club keep its side of the bargain. I remember sponsoring a square metre of white bank turf a few seasons ago as did others,I wonder where this "ringfenced"money went? a bit of a con really.

The chair was really honest in respect of debt etc in that she was unaware of the historical debt and was unable to make comment when pressed. 

It was good to hear that Chris was making good but slow progress. 

I think she mentioned that 44 fans turned up. This was more than I thought some good ideas to get the kids back. 

I did notice that the average age of the 44 would be 55 - 60 hence why the kids are important. 

All in all I'm really pleased, finally all fans down load our league app and make Oldham as your team this helps with central funding going forward 

Archived