London Broncos/Ealing new stand

8 minutes ago, Manx RL said:

No goalposts moved. But comparing saracens playing a local derby doesn’t compare with  the Broncos who don’t have that derby to leverage.

Oh. that's another addition to  this.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Can someone help please I'm still a bit confused. They're putting up a 3000 capacity stand where? On the sides or behind the sticks?

They are putting up a stand behind the sticks.

Whether it’s 3000 capacity remains to be seen. I rather doubt that. I expect it’ll be around 1,000 to meet the minimum Super League  requirement of 2,000 seats.

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

I think that's exactly how Saracens market their Wembley games. That's why They only get around 80k there.

And you know how much they lose each time they do it? And their overall debt now?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

13 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

And you know how much they lose each time they do it? And their overall debt now?

Of course. But that has nothing to do with avoiding creating an 'event game' because the regular games would be at a smaller ground and less of an event.

Maybe a better example if the Catalans game on the road in Barcelona

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Of course. But that has nothing to do with avoiding creating an 'event game' because the regular games would be at a smaller ground and less of an event.

Maybe a better example if the Catalans game on the road in Barcelona

I have an automatic trigger reflex whenever anyone sets Saracens up as an example of anything.

The Broncos are threadbare. Let's not add more things beyond running a club through a season of Super League to the list of things we expect them to do. I wish that weren't the case but it is.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

I have an automatic trigger reflex whenever anyone sets Saracens up as an example of anything.

The Broncos are threadbare. Let's not add more things beyond running a club through a season of Super League to the list of things we expect them to do. I wish that weren't the case but it is.

Aye, two points.

Firstly, using Saracens was always a silly example :D I should have used Catalans and Barcelona in the first instance.

Secondly, I am not necessarily supporting this approach for London, they will do what is right for them commercially, and getting people into their home ground and surviving this year may be their challenge here. As per one of my subsequent posts, the bigger challenge, and more immediate success for London is getting a 6k sellout every week where they are.

But, the point I picked up on was the silliness of not staging 'events' because the regular games are smaller events. Nowt to do with financials, or derbies, which have now been thrown in. It's a little like not bothering with Magic Weekend because if somebody then wanted to watch Wakey they would have to watch the other games at Belle Vue. 

Event games can be a good thing, but they need to be done sensibly and within a club's means. It's where I think Magic works, as the risk is spread, but I do think SL can do more.

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Aye, two points.

Firstly, using Saracens was always a silly example :D I should have used Catalans and Barcelona in the first instance.

Secondly, I am not necessarily supporting this approach for London, they will do what is right for them commercially, and getting people into their home ground and surviving this year may be their challenge here. As per one of my subsequent posts, the bigger challenge, and more immediate success for London is getting a 6k sellout every week where they are.

But, the point I picked up on was the silliness of not staging 'events' because the regular games are smaller events. Nowt to do with financials, or derbies, which have now been thrown in. It's a little like not bothering with Magic Weekend because if somebody then wanted to watch Wakey they would have to watch the other games at Belle Vue. 

Event games can be a good thing, but they need to be done sensibly and within a club's means. It's where I think Magic works, as the risk is spread, but I do think SL can do more.

No one mentioned staging  ‘events’.Your moving the goal posts ?

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

4 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I think the Broncos should look to take one game a season to a bigger ground, even if just a Griffin Park, and market the hell out of it.

4 hours ago, Manx RL said:

‘Hey come to this game! We won’t be playing here again anytime soon but if you enjoy it come along to our much smaller venue and have a completely different experience...’

2 minutes ago, Manx RL said:

Taking one game a year to a bigger ground and marketing the hell out of it is absolutely staging an event.

Broncos need to add to their core support beyond 2019. Attendances are going to go up because of away support and the odd “floating fan” but they need to be able to maintain/add to the number of their fans from 2019 into 2020. 

One way may well be to take a game elsewhere but this comes at a cost and I don’t know how financially viable this is. I can’t imagine that renting a Football ground out of season would be that cheap given the fact that clubs may be relaying playing surfaces, for example. 

1 hour ago, Manx RL said:

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Taking one game a year to a bigger ground and marketing the hell out of it is absolutely staging an event.

Well, I've been pretty busy and not had chance to come been and see the "uproar" my small and often repeated suggestion has caused, but it's good to know I've got someone to argue my point for me (even if they don't necessarily agree with it), so thanks Dave T.

ManxRL, seriously? These are very weak points you've made about moving the game. You make it sound like no one has ever moved a game to a bigger stadium to create an event. You've cited different sports (even though it's been done in ours on plenty of occasions successfully). You've cited finance (with no source). You've cited that is a derby (yet not every big game taken to Wembley has been a derby, and Catalans have never had a true derby in SL).

Anything else? Why don't you tell us the real reason you don't like this because these really can't be it.

I don't mind the reason of "London need to concentrate on building at Ealing." That's a fair opinion, although not necessarily one I agree with as I'm not sure they have an long term future there, and an event game around the corner at Griffin Park wouldn't harm that IMO. 

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

1 minute ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Broncos need to add to their core support beyond 2019. Attendances are going to go up because of away support and the odd “floating fan” but they need to be able to maintain/add to the number of their fans from 2019 into 2020. 

One way may well be to take a game elsewhere but this comes at a cost and I don’t know how financially viable this is. I can’t imagine that renting a Football ground out of season would be that cheap given the fact that clubs may be relaying playing surfaces, for example. 

Obviously you weigh the pros against the cons, but usually these events aren't necessarily about making money and more about getting their name out there more in the area. Would be a good time to hold a community event that ties in the schools, etc, that you wouldn't be able to do at Trailfinders because it's too small.

Just now, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Obviously you weigh the pros against the cons, but usually these events aren't necessarily about making money and more about getting their name out there more in the area. Would be a good time to hold a community event that ties in the schools, etc, that you wouldn't be able to do at Trailfinders because it's too small.

Finances will ultimately play a part. That’s why we’re not going back to Denver, The RFL want bonds for the Challenge Cup etc. 

4 hours ago, westlondonfan said:

With a new stand we don’t need to.

We should market the hell out  of the matches as Trailfinders now.

We should also ensure that we can stay there for a long period  so that we can reap the rewards of long-term marketing work. 

I wouldn't say you don't need to just because you have a new stand, but perhaps I'm thinking too much of the Broncos at the moment.

Your last part is essential though. You need a base. You need your fans to know "we're staying here and this is how we plan to build here" otherwise they won't want to invest. 

2 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Finances will ultimately play a part. That’s why we’re not going back to Denver, The RFL want bonds for the Challenge Cup etc. 

Well yes obviously you'd need to have the money to do it, but considering that the Broncos have had a long history of taking one game at least on the road in SL, and it's the same guy that owns them, I can't see it being a financial issue.

I tend to agree that a new stand behind the sticks is unlikely to add 3,000 capacity. Such a stand would dwarf the other three sides. If they added 1,200 or so at that end it would be great.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 hour ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Well, I've been pretty busy and not had chance to come been and see the "uproar" my small and often repeated suggestion has caused, but it's good to know I've got someone to argue my point for me (even if they don't necessarily agree with it), so thanks Dave T.

ManxRL, seriously? These are very weak points you've made about moving the game. You make it sound like no one has ever moved a game to a bigger stadium to create an event. You've cited different sports (even though it's been done in ours on plenty of occasions successfully). You've cited finance (with no source). You've cited that is a derby (yet not every big game taken to Wembley has been a derby, and Catalans have never had a true derby in SL).

Anything else? Why don't you tell us the real reason you don't like this because these really can't be it.

I don't mind the reason of "London need to concentrate on building at Ealing." That's a fair opinion, although not necessarily one I agree with as I'm not sure they have an long term future there, and an event game around the corner at Griffin Park wouldn't harm that IMO. 

Actually I didn’t cite other sports, that was Dave’s introduction.

Cheers!

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

Archived