Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
The Grinder

2019 Championship Predictions

Recommended Posts

So as Haskey has mentioned on another thread in the League Express this week that Garry Schofield has predicted that Fev will inish 7th next season. And as the squads are starting to come together (Fax and Bulls anouching their 30+ man squads this last week) I therefore thought I'd start a new tread to discuss next years predictions.

Schofield has Leigh 2nd and Bradford 8th BTW, which seem a bit random to me. I suspect that he has to put in ones that are contraversal to justify himself.

So I'll have a go here at a prediction

  1. Toronto
  2. Toulouse
  3. Halifax
  4. Widnes
  5. Bradford
  6. Leigh
  7. Fev
  8. York
  9. Batley
  10. Sheffield
  11. Barrow
  12. Dewsbury
  13. Swinton
  14. Rochdale

I think the league is likely to be in two halfs again with the top 7 pulling away from the bottom 7. I think that Toronto should win the leauge hands down with Toulouse/Fax/Widnes fighting it out for the next three places, I have chosen Toulouse here to come 2nd again, but this is dependent on them geting results away from home). Then Fev/Leigh/Bradford fighting it out for the last spot in the top 5 but suspect that Bradford will get better as the season goes on, with their main players being full time, so just pipping it for 5th. We can do better but have to hit the road running at the start of the season and get at least 6 points out of a tough set of opening fixtures (Bulls(A), Batley(H), Leigh(A), Fax(H) and Widnes(A)) if we are going to make the top 5.

 

Whats your predictions?

Edited by The Grinder

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

       Why are FAX so high in the above list?

Because that's what the Grinder thinks their finishing position will be. My prediction is we will make the top 5, not bothered where others finish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That list looks pretty much where I would have every team to be honest. The only thing I'd say is that there are some teams that are harder to assess than others - us, Leigh and the two promoted teams being the two obvious examples. If the Boas brothers prove to be a sensation and our new coach is a success, or if either of Leigh's young SL loanees at half back gel really well with Ridyard, than top 5 isn't out of the question for either team.

To answer the question that followed as to why Fax are so high on the list, they have retained most of the squad that made the top 4 on the list (think Tangata is the only significant loss and he often seemed to be injured anyway) and added QLT who made a huge difference when he played for them last year, we would almost certainly have beaten them at Blackpool if he hadn't played. They have 2 or 3 other additions too, I still don't see them being serious challengers for the top spot or promotion but it will be surprising if they aren't contenders for top 5.

It's hard not to see Toronto and Toulouse being very good again, Widnes look to have retained enough quality players to be up there too (Gelling and Inu should be a destructive centre pairing at this level in theory though it doesn't always work out like that).

It looks like Bradford have spent a lot more money than us or Leigh, they have a huge squad that includes lot of full-time players and Kear is a proven coach at this level so there will be some questions asked if they aren't at least contenders for the top 5.

York might lack a bit of quality at this level but will surprise a few I'm sure, especially at home. Sheffield's squad looks massively improved on the last couple of years (Thackeray, Brad Knowles, Guzdek, Aaron Brown, , plus 2 or 3 useful Batley players) and that should keep them clear of the relegation battle. Barrow have also been a bit more flamboyant in their recruitment with Hock (assuming he's still going there) and a sprinkling of PNG recruits, definitely a team you don't want to be visiting away in the early months of the season as Toronto and Leigh found out last year.

Swinton haven't recruited badly and seem to be on the up but success for them and Rochdale will again be measured by avoiding relegation you'd think. Dewsbury have signed a lot of players that are unknown quantities, so they're hard to assess on that basis but they have lost some of their better players such as Guzdek and Brown and their new coach will need to have pulled a few rabbits from hats if they are to avoid a relegation battle.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still think we need more players to cover for our usual crop of injuries., to move up from predicted 5/7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The Grinder said:

So as Haskey has mentioned on another thread in the League Express this week that Garry Schofield has predicted that Fev will inish 7th next season. And as the squads are starting to come together (Fax and Bulls anouching their 30+ man squads this last week) I therefore thought I'd start a new tread to discuss next years predictions.

Schofield has Leigh 2nd and Bradford 8th BTW, which seem a bit random to me. I suspect that he has to put in ones that are contraversal to justify himself.

So I'll have a go here at a prediction

  1. Toronto
  2. Toulouse
  3. Halifax
  4. Widnes
  5. Bradford
  6. Leigh
  7. Fev
  8. York
  9. Batley
  10. Sheffield
  11. Barrow
  12. Dewsbury
  13. Swinton
  14. Rochdale

I think the league is likely to be in two halfs again with the top 7 pulling away from the bottom 7. I think that Toronto should win the leauge hands down with Toulouse/Fax/Widnes fighting it out for the next three places, I have chosen Toulouse here to come 2nd again, but this is dependent on them geting results away from home). Then Fev/Leigh/Bradford fighting it out for the last spot in the top 5 but suspect that Bradford will get better as the season goes on, with their main players being full time, so just pipping it for 5th. We can do better but have to hit the road running at the start of the season and get at least 6 points out of a tough set of opening fixtures (Bulls(A), Batley(H), Leigh(A), Fax(H) and Widnes(A)) if we are going to make the top 5.

 

Whats your predictions?

It pains me to say it but bradford will defo finish top 4 with kear at the helm

For fev  its a case of sink or swim depending on how much farting about we do with constant changes in the squad resulting in decent players being dropped for leeds second string thus alienating our own players but here’s hoping we finish up with a decent first team squad as at the mo we need some additions.

So its top or bottom 4 for me hopefully the 3rd or 4th

By the way Schofield predicted London would finish 10th last season so by that reckoning get your money on Sheffield

Edited by eltel
more info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

       Why are FAX so high in the above list?

They finished 4th last year, have only really lost Tangata, and have been strengthen with signings such as QLT and Kevin Larroyer, comming in. Also though Murrell is again one year older they have a couple of young halfs coming in who will be the better for working/training along side Murrell. THen I would expect to see an improvement in some of their youngsters with the likes of SIon Jones  becoming permanante fixutres in their first team. So overall they look like a better squad/team than last year, which should mean that they are compeating for 2nd, 3rd, 4th this year as they did last year.

Noting this is just my opinion.

  • Like 2

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

That list looks pretty much where I would have every team to be honest. The only thing I'd say is that there are some teams that are harder to assess than others - us, Leigh and the two promoted teams being the two obvious examples. If the Boas brothers prove to be a sensation and our new coach is a success, or if either of Leigh's young SL loanees at half back gel really well with Ridyard, than top 5 isn't out of the question for either team.

To answer the question that followed as to why Fax are so high on the list, they have retained most of the squad that made the top 4 on the list (think Tangata is the only significant loss and he often seemed to be injured anyway) and added QLT who made a huge difference when he played for them last year, we would almost certainly have beaten them at Blackpool if he hadn't played. They have 2 or 3 other additions too, I still don't see them being serious challengers for the top spot or promotion but it will be surprising if they aren't contenders for top 5.

It's hard not to see Toronto and Toulouse being very good again, Widnes look to have retained enough quality players to be up there too (Gelling and Inu should be a destructive centre pairing at this level in theory though it doesn't always work out like that).

It looks like Bradford have spent a lot more money than us or Leigh, they have a huge squad that includes lot of full-time players and Kear is a proven coach at this level so there will be some questions asked if they aren't at least contenders for the top 5.

York might lack a bit of quality at this level but will surprise a few I'm sure, especially at home. Sheffield's squad looks massively improved on the last couple of years (Thackeray, Brad Knowles, Guzdek, Aaron Brown, , plus 2 or 3 useful Batley players) and that should keep them clear of the relegation battle. Barrow have also been a bit more flamboyant in their recruitment with Hock (assuming he's still going there) and a sprinkling of PNG recruits, definitely a team you don't want to be visiting away in the early months of the season as Toronto and Leigh found out last year.

Swinton haven't recruited badly and seem to be on the up but success for them and Rochdale will again be measured by avoiding relegation you'd think. Dewsbury have signed a lot of players that are unknown quantities, so they're hard to assess on that basis but they have lost some of their better players such as Guzdek and Brown and their new coach will need to have pulled a few rabbits from hats if they are to avoid a relegation battle.

 

This just about sums up my thoughts and is where my predictions come from.


I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not certain that I agree with 7th place. We haven't finished recruiting and don't know what standard at DR we will get. If we recruit some useful players and have a good input from DR then we could be pressing for a top five place. When the uncertainty about what our full squad will look like then I will pass judgement from my point of view.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where we finish will depend on how well we gel. The entire spine of the team has changed with new 1, 6, 7 and 9 and we will have to see how they go. Add in a new coach with new ideas and it will go one of two ways, if we click we could cause a few problems if not we may struggle. I think we will finish just outside top 5 but wouldn’t be shocked if we sneak in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

That list looks pretty much where I would have every team to be honest. The only thing I'd say is that there are some teams that are harder to assess than others - us, Leigh and the two promoted teams being the two obvious examples. If the Boas brothers prove to be a sensation and our new coach is a success, or if either of Leigh's young SL loanees at half back gel really well with Ridyard, than top 5 isn't out of the question for either team.

To answer the question that followed as to why Fax are so high on the list, they have retained most of the squad that made the top 4 on the list (think Tangata is the only significant loss and he often seemed to be injured anyway) and added QLT who made a huge difference when he played for them last year, we would almost certainly have beaten them at Blackpool if he hadn't played. They have 2 or 3 other additions too, I still don't see them being serious challengers for the top spot or promotion but it will be surprising if they aren't contenders for top 5.

It's hard not to see Toronto and Toulouse being very good again, Widnes look to have retained enough quality players to be up there too (Gelling and Inu should be a destructive centre pairing at this level in theory though it doesn't always work out like that).

It looks like Bradford have spent a lot more money than us or Leigh, they have a huge squad that includes lot of full-time players and Kear is a proven coach at this level so there will be some questions asked if they aren't at least contenders for the top 5.

York might lack a bit of quality at this level but will surprise a few I'm sure, especially at home. Sheffield's squad looks massively improved on the last couple of years (Thackeray, Brad Knowles, Guzdek, Aaron Brown, , plus 2 or 3 useful Batley players) and that should keep them clear of the relegation battle. Barrow have also been a bit more flamboyant in their recruitment with Hock (assuming he's still going there) and a sprinkling of PNG recruits, definitely a team you don't want to be visiting away in the early months of the season as Toronto and Leigh found out last year.

Swinton haven't recruited badly and seem to be on the up but success for them and Rochdale will again be measured by avoiding relegation you'd think. Dewsbury have signed a lot of players that are unknown quantities, so they're hard to assess on that basis but they have lost some of their better players such as Guzdek and Brown and their new coach will need to have pulled a few rabbits from hats if they are to avoid a relegation battle.

 

Excellent post,  I think there will be a few surprises in there hopefully when the front runners fall over :) but with such large squads it hard to discount Fax and Bradford.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very very difficult to call. I think it's going to be a fascinating season.

No reason to presume Toronto and Toulouse won't be strong again. Top 4 for mine.

Widnes have kept some players and will be handy at this level. Top 4.

Fax went well last year and will again this. Top 6.

Both Fev and Leigh have had quite a turnover of players, but both will fancy Top 6 too. Leigh may be aiming higher, they appear to have more brass.

Bradford must be in the mix too with the recruitment they've done. Top 4?

York look very confident too. It is a step up though. Top half?

Sheffield, Batley and Dewsbury will all compete, but I can see a top half finish for them, with the Rams perhaps the weakest of those three.

Barrow will have their day, but will be happy just to stay up.

Most people will have Rochdale and Swinton to go down, but they won't be that bad either.

Cracking league that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im not sure my predictions have changed too much from what I have put elsewhere but it is worth noting that outside of Toronto who can sign some real quality, teams that seem to do well in this division are ones that do not have large turnovers of players in the off season, it is very difficult for any team to almost start from scratch and go well. Who were the last team to do that without loads of cash to spend? Thats why I think it will be difficult for either Leigh or Fev to do anything better than fighting for 5th spot.

I expect Bradford to go well as they have a good squad and a good coach but its probably a year too early for them to make the top 4. Widnes are pretty hard to predict as they are going to be the first SL team to come down and not be able to keep a lot of their squad so its really hard to say how they will fair although I would be surprised to see them outside the top 4 come the end of the season. Personally for Fax I hope we can go one better than last season and be out and out 2nd place but in reality given what has happened at other teams and the signings we have made, anything other than top 4 I would see as a very poor season as we look stronger throughout the squad than last year. My worry is the last time RM had a big squad to work with he struggled and we failed to make the top 4. Im just gutted that Toronto didn't go up instead of London as we could have had a real shot this season but next year Im expecting the quality of the league to be spread more evenly than this season making it even harder.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, haskey said:

Top 2 Oxy you are having a laugh !!!

Top 2 makes it sound like I have visions of us finishing top which I dont. Natural progression for us this season after finishing joint 2nd last year would be to clinch 2nd spot for ourselves but out side of that I think anything worse than 4th for us looks like a disaster of a season.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Top 2 makes it sound like I have visions of us finishing top which I dont. Natural progression for us this season after finishing joint 2nd last year would be to clinch 2nd spot for ourselves but out side of that I think anything worse than 4th for us looks like a disaster of a season.

Last time I looked at the end of (regular) season table for 2018 'fax were 4th, definitely not joint 2nd...........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Last time I looked at the end of (regular) season table for 2018 'fax were 4th, definitely not joint 2nd...........

It depends on your outlook really but finishing on the same points as the 2 teams above us, im claiming it.  ;)

 

Edited by The Blues Ox
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Toronto

Widnes

Toulouse

Fev

Fax

Leigh

Bradford

York

Batley

Barrow

Sheffield

Dewsbury

Swindon

Rochdale

 

my prediction, willing to put my money to it, £100 that every team will finish within 3 places of my table, so Toronto have to finish in top 3, Rochdale have to finish in bottom 3, Fev between 1st and 7th and so on. UTR

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Fev1983 said:

my prediction, willing to put my money to it, £100 that every team will finish within 3 places of my table, so Toronto have to finish in top 3, Rochdale have to finish in bottom 3, Fev between 1st and 7th and so on. UTR

 

Too much leeway in that for me but Im willing to do the normal Fax V Fev wager with anyone, I think to make it maybe appealing to someone I will offer Fev 4 points start over us. It doesn't have to be large amounts and will go up to a max of £100 so can be multiple people if you wish and all money goes to a charity of the winners choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I predict in 12 months time, there will be a thread called "2020 Championship predictions" on this forum, as we'll still be in the same division. 

  • Like 2

Please view my photos.

 

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

 

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

 

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 11/22/2018 at 10:31 AM, The Blues Ox said:

Can I get in early and offer Fev 6 points start on Fax? That has to be a steal right?

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

Too much leeway in that for me but Im willing to do the normal Fax V Fev wager with anyone, I think to make it maybe appealing to someone I will offer Fev 4 points start over us. It doesn't have to be large amounts and will go up to a max of £100 so can be multiple people if you wish and all money goes to a charity of the winners choice.

Come on Oxy I'd have thought you'd have gone the other way and offered us 8 points start rather than going the other way given how good the FAX squad is in comparison to the Fev squad. ?


I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Grinder said:

 

Come on Oxy I'd have thought you'd have gone the other way and offered us 8 points start rather than going the other way given how good the FAX squad is in comparison to the Fev squad. ?

I think you look stronger than at that point ;) Still nobody took me up on it and defo not going 8 points. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Makes interesting reading here revisiting, some posting doom and gloom after the friendlies and I said I’d await towards the end of the season to comment, well I think we can safely say, “we did alright” 

  • Like 3

Im Fev and im proud

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...