• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Col81 said:

My final thoughts are Johnson 11s betfred £100 e/w

Makinson 16s £50 e/w

Farimino 40s £40 e/w

Decent imo.

Unless Johnstone gets injured pre season I'll be joining you on him.

Fariamo I've already had a bit on, looks good value.

I wouldn't put you off Makinson.  Concern for me is spread of tries amongst the team.  Top 3 Saints scorers last year were the FB, Centre and Stand off.

I'm thinking:

Charnley, Johnstone EW, Fariamo EW

at the moment, but will wait and see.

Did a double on Johnstone to be Wakeys top try scorer and Charnley to be Wires at 3/1.  Only let me put 12.50 on though!

Charnley is to short for my liking. I just think saints never used the right last year and naquima has been brought to feed makinson. Best finisher in league stood taking the ball out of defence is a huge waste look what he did v new zealand.

Have a small liking for James Clare at cas if Eden gets injured he's the main winger 66s. I was thinking of leaving makinson and lowering stake onto Claire but being a saints fan I want to follow Tommy. Some of bookies got Adam swift at 25s he will be lucky to play any games!! Let alone top scorer. They are clueless which is why they panic

19 minutes ago, Col81 said:

Charnley is to short for my liking. I just think saints never used the right last year and naquima has been brought to feed makinson. Best finisher in league stood taking the ball out of defence is a huge waste look what he did v new zealand.

Have a small liking for James Clare at cas if Eden gets injured he's the main winger 66s. I was thinking of leaving makinson and lowering stake onto Claire but being a saints fan I want to follow Tommy. Some of bookies got Adam swift at 25s he will be lucky to play any games!! Let alone top scorer. They are clueless which is why they panic

Get you point with Makinson, it's just the amount of quality strike players in that back line, not ruled it out though.

On 12/30/2018 at 8:04 PM, Futtocks said:

Astounding pace, and learned to read the game well as the years went by. Not an all-rounder by modern standards, but a thriller of a player.

Still, he finished half a metre behind Parramatta's Lee Oudenryn when they had a 100m race in 1992. 

Actually he didn’t have a sounding pace though he was very fast. There were faster wingers before and since and a fair few at the time.

in a foot race I’d back most of the wingers in the current list to beat him. Pace alone was not what made him great. What made him great was that he was in by far and away the best team in the UK at the time and he knew how to exploit and that is a very rare skill, he was simply a winner.

6 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Actually he didn’t have a sounding pace though he was very fast. There were faster wingers before and since and a fair few at the time.

in a foot race I’d back most of the wingers in the current list to beat him. Pace alone was not what made him great. What made him great was that he was in by far and away the best team in the UK at the time and he knew how to exploit and that is a very rare skill, he was simply a winner.

Yep. I bet Alan Tait, and all the others he made look like they were standing still were thinking "God, this guy plays in a great team" as he flew past them.

In case you hadn't noticed, he was also making people look slow when he played for Widnes, and Great Britain.

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 8:04 PM, Futtocks said:

Astounding pace, and learned to read the game well as the years went by. Not an all-rounder by modern standards, but a thriller of a player.

Still, he finished half a metre behind Parramatta's Lee Oudenryn when they had a 100m race in 1992. 

Offiah was coasting and certainly wasn't taking that seriously. There were very strong rumours that the GB squad won an awful lot of money on Oudenryn winning, who was the outsider with the bookies.

8 minutes ago, Damien said:

Offiah was coasting and certainly wasn't taking that seriously. There were very strong rumours that the GB squad won an awful lot of money on Oudenryn winning, who was the outsider with the bookies.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

20 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

Yep. I bet Alan Tait, and all the others he made look like they were standing still were thinking "God, this guy plays in a great team" as he flew past them.

In case you hadn't noticed, he was also making people look slow when he played for Widnes, and Great Britain.

Don’t be a wally and don’t be over sensitive in fact try growing up. I said in a foot race but that’s not how rl tries are scored. To score as many as Offiah you need to be smart and know how to exploit your team mate, you realise it’s a team game?

a lot of the time he made people look slow because he’d already beaten them by being where they wernt. I’ve never seen a winger anticipate play better than Offiah.

he was fast but that was not what made him and to say so is a bit insulting, there are plenty of fast runners on this world doesn’t make the great RL wingers does it.

Of course how good a team your in makes a difference to argue otherwise is idiocy.

iI remember David Jones at Wakefield running Offiah down and stopping a certain try. He was faster than Martin that day but that doesn’t mean he was better, you need to learne context.

I've managed to get a double up with saints for the regular season staked £250 horse and saints in a double returns £1400 so I've got just shy of 5/1 for saints that my main bet done just need to finalize my top try scorer bet

20 minutes ago, Col81 said:

I've managed to get a double up with saints for the regular season staked £250 horse and saints in a double returns £1400 so I've got just shy of 5/1 for saints that my main bet done just need to finalize my top try scorer bet

Nice bet. 

I noticed Betvictor have some decent team try scorer markets the other day, ever used them so got a few free bets too.  (annoyingly singles only) but Eden to be Cas top try scorer at 11/10 is bonkers when you consider it's 2/5 with sky bet.  Charnley is 7/4 too (evens with sky).

I only use skybet or betfred in shop. Otherwise I can get carried away very easily. I'm sitting back with my main bet on (saints are my team) so will be happy on all fronts if win regular season. 

I'm definaty doing Johnson so can follow wakey matches. I'm doing 1 more top try scorer at bigger prices then I'm content. If win saints bet Xmas is paid for.

Just now, Col81 said:

I only use skybet or betfred in shop. Otherwise I can get carried away very easily. I'm sitting back with my main bet on (saints are my team) so will be happy on all fronts if win regular season. 

I'm definaty doing Johnson so can follow wakey matches. I'm doing 1 more top try scorer at bigger prices then I'm content. If win saints bet Xmas is paid for.

Good luck Pal (except I want Cas to win it obviously).

I've ruled Claire out as a big price option with Rankin signing (can cover full back and wing, if he made either position his own Claire would be pushed to been a back up, injuries aside)

I did know you were a cas fan! I've ne we been to cas away but I'm going this year just like knowsley road I've heard. You must know a lot about edens chances? Faraimo is a good price but I think hull will be poor. Nearly fainted when they signed Matty Dawson! 

21 minutes ago, Col81 said:

Make sure you select Tom JohnStone rather than Greg Johnson, although he is a tempting 66/1

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

2 hours ago, Col81 said:

I did know you were a cas fan! I've ne we been to cas away but I'm going this year just like knowsley road I've heard. You must know a lot about edens chances? Faraimo is a good price but I think hull will be poor. Nearly fainted when they signed Matty Dawson! 

I love Wheldon Road personally.  No one can deny it's archaic and and I get the critisims entirely.  But I go there to watch a game of rugby, with a decent atmosphere and a couple of pints before hand.  With that in mind it's a compact stadium, species close to the field, when full it's bouncing and theirs plenty of pubs within walking distance.

I'm not convinced Cas will be the free scoring team their were in Solomon's and Eden TTS years.  Also not sure if our attack will focus on the left as much as recent years.  Gales injury makes it harder to work out.  Friendly vs Leeds could be informative, I'll be watching which side Trueman favours in attack with interest and how often we favour the left generally.  

Considering the above I'm not convinced by Eden as top try scorer in SL, especially bearing in mind he isn't a reasonable each way price.

That been  said, unless he spends a lot of the season injured or injuries force him to play FB (extremely doubtful now we have Matauti, Rankin and young Turner who can play there), he will score more tries than any other Cas player.

On 12/31/2018 at 8:30 PM, MZH said:

Bureta Faraimo was the 4th top scorer amongst wingers last year and 7th overall, that despite Hull being awful for half the year. Jake Connor will likely be his centre and he is 40/1 to be top scorer. Not a bad outside bet. 

Not to mention his missing several games due to either knocking himself or somebody else out.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

On 12/30/2018 at 12:16 AM, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

If Briscoe didn't have Kirk Yeaman inside of him for several seasons he'd have at another 50 tries on his tally. I predicted TB was going to score loads at Leeds but think he lost a bit of confidence at times and really has not learnt/improved upon his defensive game since he left Hull, not helped when Leeds have been so wildly up and down. I'd still have him back at Hull (most our fans say he's garbage!) but he'd be wasted with the way we play.

Johnston won't be top try scorer next season, I'm going to go with an outside bet in Tom Lineham

Johnstone strolled in for three today without breaking sweat. Still you know best and if Lineham is your man go for it

?

Archived