Obituary Thread

David Soul from Starsky and Hutch, 80.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

4 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

David Soul from Starsky and Hutch, 80.

Was genuinely saddened to hear that on the news.

• Like 1

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

One hell of a player.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Someone posted elsewhere that he was the first German that his dad's generation felt it was okay to like (post-WW2).

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Welsh Rugby Union player John (J.P.R.) Williams aged 74.

One that got away, from a RL perspective. He'd have done alright.

• Like 2

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pretty sure we missed quite a lot of these deaths during last year. R.I.P.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Cindy Morgan, aged 69. Mainly known for Tron and playing Lacey Underall (fnarr!) in Caddyshack.

4f213a78560e5b0224e142606c7c66bd

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 08/01/2024 at 20:47, Futtocks said:

Welsh Rugby Union player John (J.P.R.) Williams aged 74.

One that got away, from a RL perspective. He'd have done alright.

I recall reading somewhere that he was all set to sign for Hull FC in the early 80's, they'd even line a job up at a local hospital,  but it fell through for some reason.  Who knows? Union players presumably would spread rumours about signing RL to get a better deal from their clubs, and RL teams spread them to sell season tickets.  In those days when if was all cloak and dagger, there's no way of telling.

• Like 2

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

23 hours ago, Trojan said:

I recall reading somewhere that he was all set to sign for Hull FC in the early 80's, they'd even line a job up at a local hospital,  but it fell through for some reason.  Who knows? Union players presumably would spread rumours about signing RL to get a better deal from their clubs, and RL teams spread them to sell season tickets.  In those days when if was all cloak and dagger, there's no way of telling.

He would have been an outstanding Rugby League player, and surely your not suggesting that union clubs were paying their players before their game went honest in 1995? 🤣

6 hours ago, The Future is League said:

He would have been an outstanding Rugby League player, and surely your not suggesting that union clubs were paying their players before their game went honest in 1995? 🤣

As Tony Collins says in "The Codebreakers,"   the WRFU pretended they weren't paying the players and the RFU pretended to believe them, otherwise the whole home nations thing would have fallen apart.

• Like 1

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

On 10/01/2024 at 09:41, Trojan said:

It was actually 1976 and word had got around that he'd got a job at Hull Royal (my mate's dad worked in the hospital works department and he told me Williams was on his way). In Vince Groak's excellent book "Last One Out...", former Hull director Mike Page confirmed it was a "done deal" but when Williams was on his way up to sign the contract he stopped and called his dad. Whatever was said was enough to get him to change his mind and head for home.

• Like 1

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

3 hours ago, Ullman said:

It was actually 1976 and word had got around that he'd got a job at Hull Royal (my mate's dad worked in the hospital works department and he told me Williams was on his way). In Vince Groak's excellent book "Last One Out...", former Hull director Mike Page confirmed it was a "done deal" but when Williams was on his way up to sign the contract he stopped and called his dad. Whatever was said was enough to get him to change his mind and head for

home.

Bumped into Vince before the 2017 RL Cup Final.

I asked him "Is it true that if you can find an unsigned copy of your book, it's probably worth a fortune?"

His mates enjoyed his uncomfortable moment.

• Haha 2
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

11 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Bumped into Vince before the 2017 RL Cup Final.

I asked him "Is it true that if you can find an unsigned copy of your book, it's probably worth a fortune?"

His mates enjoyed his uncomfortable moment.

I must admit, after reading through two hundred pages I was disappointed with the ending.

• Haha 1

DJ Annie Nightingale, aged 83.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Ralph Waldo Emerson