Millom Vs Red Star live on the Beeb

23 hours ago, CanaBull said:

Really looking forward to this, I hope it draws good viewing numbers.

I'm really up for this one too...how can we watch it in Canada live....is the BBC live stream free?  Do you know?

12 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

I'm really up for this one too...how can we watch it in Canada live....is the BBC live stream free?  Do you know?

Previous years' BBC streaming of the Cup's early rounds has been available (mostly) without geo-blocking. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, fevtom said:

Does anyone know what level Red Star are at? I literally have no idea what to expect from them.

I've watched a few Serbian games, and the style of play is a bit naive, but that's what playing regularly in the Cup can help with a bit.

Loads of enthusiasm and a fair bit of physicality, but I really don't know how they'll do against Millom. That's what is so intriguing.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Previous years' BBC streaming of the Cup's early rounds has been available (mostly) without geo-blocking. 

Yep streamed in the Netherlands and Norway without having to use a Vpn in previous years. 

2 minutes ago, yanto said:

Yep streamed in the Netherlands and Norway without having to use a Vpn in previous years. 

I guess we'll have to wait and see, but the chances are good.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

If Red Star win and then draw Barrow away, then they will be scratching their heads!

But remembering a previous thread about a SL team in Cumbria...  we should also remember that there ought to be a number of local clubs who could come together and support a Cumbrian SL outpost.

Does the RFL provide any support for travel? 

1 hour ago, dealwithit said:

Does the RFL provide any support for travel? 

I do not know but (apologies for off topic) it seems plausible for RFL or SL to provide some travel expenses or something to help make Cumbria viable.

6 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

I do not know but (apologies for off topic) it seems plausible for RFL or SL to provide some travel expenses or something to help make Cumbria viable.

Alternatively they'll just make Red Star pay a bond to make up for all the fans they won't bring....

15 hours ago, Kayakman said:

I sure hope I can get it over here.

I watched them last year so hopefully there won’t be any geoblocking this year.  Always alternative routes though, he said in a non-condoning tone of typing ?

6 minutes ago, CanaBull said:

I watched them last year so hopefully there won’t be any geoblocking this year.  Always alternative routes though, he said in a non-condoning tone of typing ?

I remember watching Siddal v TWP and Dave Woods commenting about all the tweets the BBC were getting from around the world by people who were watching the match..

rldfsignature.jpg

14 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

I remember watching Siddal v TWP and Dave Woods commenting about all the tweets the BBC were getting from around the world by people who were watching the match..

A bunch of us were watching that at a mates place.  Let's just say that the Canadians were a little surprised at the conditions at the start but loved the, I guess rawness would be the best word, of the match.  Didn't take them long to understand the passion for the game.

The game has  fantastic public relations potential, oldest amateur rugby league clubs in the world against a new  team carrying the name of one of the greats of European football, let's hope the BBC and the press can really give the tie the coverage it deserves. 

With relation to milloms location, it really is as isolated as people make out but well worth a visit.About 40 Mile from my home in workington, will take a good hour to drive a twisting road,1 hour 10 minutes on the train!

5 hours ago, Route66 said:

The game has  fantastic public relations potential, oldest amateur rugby league clubs in the world against a new  team carrying the name of one of the greats of European football, let's hope the BBC and the press can really give the tie the coverage it deserves. 

With relation to milloms location, it really is as isolated as people make out but well worth a visit.About 40 Mile from my home in workington, will take a good hour to drive a twisting road,1 hour 10 minutes on the train!

We used to have trains like that in Yorkshire. In about 1956.

rldfsignature.jpg

On 1/7/2019 at 8:20 PM, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

You ever tried getting a pound off someone from Millom? you wouldn't be joking if you had to, they make Yorkshiremen look generous to a fault

You've never met my mother, she always forgets to pay me for the groceries I get her because she's 'forgotten' something for dinner - sorry, tea, and that's after I've made the 185 mile journey up and cycled from the station to the city outskirts. She even used to clean out the care home of their leftover food if they had a little buffet do, okay she volunteers there and it was going to be chucked but it's properly tight!

I'm surprised she doesn't take a big flask so she can fill it with boiling water?

As for the game, I remember Hull FC playing Millom in the 1st round of CC in the 79/80 season, my first full season supporting), they gave a very good account of themselves and we won 33-10 at home.

Also that first round saw Ace Amateurs of Hull play against cup kings Widnes losing 5 -22, they were the only two amateur teams that year and both had a bloody good dig, would not get close to SL clubs reserves these days sadly

Archived