World Cup venues announcement

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, langpark said:

Just minutes away...

https://www.bbc.com/sport/live/rugby-league/46908615

Aside from the usual suspects (Wigan, Hull, Huddersfield etc.) any places you are hoping will get a match?

For me it's Newcastle and Sheffield.  I'm quite confident they'll both get at least one match each.

Interested to see what marquee grounds they use.

We will have an indication shortly of how bold they will really be.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Interested to see what marquee grounds they use.

We will have an indication shortly of how bold they will really be.

With the 1 million spectators they seem to have targeted and 31 games they will need to average 32,000 a game, so if the likes of Leigh and Workington are to get a gig, they’ll need some much larger sell outs as well to hit the numbers. You’d hope there would be a few bigger grounds in there. 

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

1 minute ago, The 4 of Us said:

With the 1 million spectators they seem to have targeted and 31 games they will need to average 32,000 a game, so if the likes of Leigh and Workington are to get a gig, they’ll need some much larger sell outs as well to hit the numbers. You’d hope there would be a few bigger grounds in there. 

I saw the number revised down to 750k recently. But that is still substantial growth from 2013.

Just now, Dave T said:

I saw the number revised down to 750k recently. But that is still substantial growth from 2013.

Yes, they knew 1 million was unachievable, I too noticed talk of it died down pretty soon after it was first mentioned.

Even 750k is ambitious, but far more attainable!  Cannot wait for this World Cup!!

Just now, Dave T said:

More than half as many again. Even so that’s still close to 25,000 a game. Makes you wonder how much they think they’re hamstrung by the performance of rugby league generally? 

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

2 minutes ago, The 4 of Us said:

More than half as many again. Even so that’s still close to 25,000 a game. Makes you wonder how much they think they’re hamstrung by the performance of rugby league generally? 

I'm a bit disappointed they won't be giving any matches to France.  I think Avignon, Toulouse etc. could have gotten some massive crowds, much bigger than they will in England.

Just now, philipw said:

Opener at SJP

Took me far too long to realise that was Newcastles and Saint James Park...!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Archived