24 Feb: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

They're still a team very much in transition with new halves again this season. But i see incremental improvements. They're fitter, Leutele adds a lot on the left edge and their defensive structure is excellent.

They still lack cohesion and i expect the player turnover will continue as they look to make additional improvements to the roster

Honestly pre game I expected Leutele to run all over young Costello, he didn't, even when down to 12 men and TWP overloaded left side on 3 occasions Leutele had a 2 on 1 and clear ground he either made a not to telling pass or was run down from the inside, not the form from an ever present NRL player of the last few seasons, in fact quite dissapointing, as for the TWP halves Blake Wallace was perhaps their most influential player on the field, McCrone switched between Hooker and scrum half, he could have also gone off to make half time brew and end of match butties to have a better input.

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Honestly pre game I expected Leutele to run all over young Costello, he didn't, even when down to 12 men and TWP overloaded left side on 3 occasions Leutele had a 2 on 1 and clear ground he either made a not to telling pass or was run down from the inside, not the form from an ever present NRL player of the last few seasons, in fact quite dissapointing, as for the TWP halves Blake Wallace was perhaps their most influential player on the field, McCrone switched between Hooker and scrum half, he could have also gone off to make half time brew and end of match butties to have a better input.

Nah he didn't run all over Costello because he wasn't playing :)

I don't think McCrone will be there past season, as you say he doesn't offer a lot

As a neutral, I thoroughly enjoyed the Swinton-Toulouse game. The visitors were fortunate to edge it 26-24 after leading 18-12 at half-time. I was impressed with Swinton's spirit and enthusiasm. Lions need to cut out the daft penalties, which on several occasions piggy-backed Toulouse to the try line. Given Swinton trailed 0-10 almost before they'd drawn breath, they did well to get 12-10 ahead before the half-hour. Down 12-24, Swinton looked dead and buried but, again, they fought back to trail 24-26 with a few minutes left. Keeping the ball alive after the final hooter had sounded, Lions almost went over in the corner for what would have been the game-clinching score. Not overly impressed with Toulouse. Are they really full-time? Swinton looked the fitter team towards the end. Admission was £18 and a 36-page programme (19 of them ads) sold for £3. The attendance was announced as 601. On a warm, sunny afternoon, this Heywood Road thriller deserved a bigger audience.

7 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

As a neutral, I thoroughly enjoyed the Swinton-Toulouse game. The visitors were fortunate to edge it 26-24 after leading 18-12 at half-time. I was impressed with Swinton's spirit and enthusiasm. Lions need to cut out the daft penalties, which on several occasions piggy-backed Toulouse to the try line. Given Swinton trailed 0-10 almost before they'd drawn breath, they did well to get 12-10 ahead before the half-hour. Down 12-24, Swinton looked dead and buried but, again, they fought back to trail 24-26 with a few minutes left. Keeping the ball alive after the final hooter had sounded, Lions almost went over in the corner for what would have been the game-clinching score. Not overly impressed with Toulouse. Are they really full-time? Swinton looked the fitter team towards the end. Admission was £18 and a 36-page programme (19 of them ads) sold for £3. The attendance was announced as 601. On a warm, sunny afternoon, this Heywood Road thriller deserved a bigger audience.

You were lucky with the weather, pea super at Fev. 

5 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

Thanks for that HM, 

My impression of watching T.O. is that they have quite a soft underbelly, in that if it is not going their way they don't relish the fight, and I think their two stars in Ford and Kerhella are the biggest exponents, your thoughts?

19 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Thanks for that HM, 

My impression of watching T.O. is that they have quite a soft underbelly, in that if it is not going their way they don't relish the fight, and I think their two stars in Ford and Kerhella are the biggest exponents, your thoughts?

Yes, Ford's a big lad to be playing stand-off. A lot comes through him. Kheirallah's (spelling in the programme, I'm no expert!) goalkicking was a bit off this afternoon, and on the whole he seemed happy for team-mates to run the ball back from deep kicks. Toulouse really didn't seem to have any standout players. They did a lot of 'lying on', too. Referee Jack Smith could have been a bit stricter when policing the play-the-ball. Hard to judge a team on one performance - and away from home - but Toulouse didn't look exactly formidable, either going forward or in defence. That said, they did very well to hold off a tremendous late charge from Swinton. It's going to be quite a battle to avoid the bottom two in this division!

18 minutes ago, MADREDNIGE said:

You were lucky with the weather, pea super at Fev. 

Yes, I hit the fog only at Windy Hill coming back - east - over the M62. I picked up BBC Radio Leeds's RL programme as soon as I left Heywood Road, and was surprised to hear talk of terrible visibility at Fev.

1 hour ago, Hopping Mad said:

How did Harry Smith do at stand off for Swinton?

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

You guy's have a lot to learn about Rugby League.

Instead of reading all the hype, I suggest that you go to watch your team at a ground that has high terracing behind the posts,  you get a far different perspective than sitting/standing laterally or veiwing on the small screen from the same vantage point. From behind the posts you can see the angles players take, how they construct and develop moves and the influential players that make things happen, and just as importantly how they are coached, sorry to report TWP are completey devoid of ideas, badly coached and players of influence? In fact your captain (if he still is) McCrone is about as much use as a button on a sock, he is stealing a living.

No sour grapes from me as a Leigh fan re the score, just an observation of being involved in this game for a very very long time, if you do get to SL which I really hope you do, drastic changes to even get a modicum of success of staying in that division will have to take place.

Harry your team played well today and gave it their all...Congrats on the fine effort.

Unfortunately you came up short yet again against Toronto...there is no shame in that since they are a very fine side...now you have got to try and take this hard loss in stride and be gracious in the loss.  Look to the future and not the past trying to settle old issues.

Good effort today from Leigh and their fine fans...but Toronto is just too much Wolf to handle.

"Run With The Pack!"

Toronto 4-0

2 hours ago, dkw said:

It helps when you bring in half a St Helens team. 

Wow...that is bitchy ! We had 4 Saints players today, but only 2 have ever been 1st team regulars. it was only the 4th time this side have played together, credit where it's due. Sorry we didn't get thrashed by Toronto, I can only apologize ! ?

55 minutes ago, clogdance said:

Wow...that is bitchy ! We had 4 Saints players today, but only 2 have ever been 1st team regulars. it was only the 4th time this side have played together, credit where it's due. Sorry we didn't get thrashed by Toronto, I can only apologize ! ?

Cloggy The Wonky fan always has a snide dig at us.Just patronise the goon ;)

We`re on a road to Nowhere.......................

Archived