Sign in to follow this  
Copa

It’s Ottawa in 2020 says Eric Perez

31 minutes ago, themenace said:

My wife and I drive 2 hours each way and have paid full price for tickets to each of the 8 games we've gone to over the past two seasons. Please tell me where these free tickets can be found. My wallet would appreciate it.

Its false news and an outright lie intentionally perpetrated by the Anti Expansionists.  Some tickets have been given to sponsors etc. and they then  latched onto this and then said at times that  'All', 'Most', 'Some', 'A Majority' etc. (ad nauseum) of tickets were free...it is one of the ways that the Anti Expansionists try to undermine the Wolfpack.   

Don't buy into it.. I am also a season ticket holder for all seasons and have paid for my tickets also...as has everyone else.   Sometimes they (TWP) give season ticket holders some breaks etc. Bring a Friend Promotion.  The Anti Expansionists say these are free tickets also.

They have also falsely accused us of fake crowd sizes etc.  They will never quit; they have a deep seated jealousy of our Club.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Sometimes they (TWP) give season ticket holders some breaks etc. Bring a Friend Promotion.  The Anti Expansionists say these are free tickets also.

We do that as well as I'm sure other clubs do. I believe we've even done a 2 friends for a fiver offer before. Personally I don't see that it really matters. Giving away tickets or selling them cheap gets people into the ground that otherwise wouldn't be there. In Toronto it gets potential new fans in and that's surely a good thing. In terms of at Hull, I think we tend to do those kind of deals when it's the Catalans game to make up for the lack of away fans. Might as well give away cheap tickets and get bums on the 14,000 seats that would be empty anyway. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Its false news and an outright lie intentionally perpetrated by the Anti Expansionists.  Some tickets have been given to sponsors etc. and they then  latched onto this and then said at times that  'All', 'Most', 'Some', 'A Majority' etc. (ad nauseum) of tickets were free...it is one of the ways that the Anti Expansionists try to undermine the Wolfpack.   

Don't buy into it.. I am also a season ticket holder for all seasons and have paid for my tickets also...as has everyone else.   Sometimes they (TWP) give season ticket holders some breaks etc. Bring a Friend Promotion.  The Anti Expansionists say these are free tickets also.

They have also falsely accused us of fake crowd sizes etc.  They will never quit; they have a deep seated jealousy of our Club.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-42702631

"Chief executive and club founder Eric Perez secured the use of 10,000-seater Lamport Stadium in Toronto, and last year average home gates were a healthy 7,000 (though half of those attending had complimentary tickets)."

If they're admitting 50% of the tickets are free it probably means 75% of them are free

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, MEXICO WILL PAY said:

"Chief executive and club founder Eric Perez secured the use of 10,000-seater Lamport Stadium in Toronto, and last year average home gates were a healthy 7,000 (though half of those attending had complimentary tickets)."

If they're admitting 50% of the tickets are free it probably means 75% of them are free

They aren't admitting any such thing there, the BBC reporter is asserting that half of the tickets were complimentary which is something altogether different.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

They aren't admitting any such thing there, the BBC reporter is asserting that half of the tickets were complimentary which is something altogether different.

Considering the person who wrote that article clearly spoke to/interviewed the Wolfpack commercial manager, who do you think that he got the figure from?

Just to be clear, I don't think that there's anything wrong with giving away tickets to seats that would otherwise be unsold.

Edited by Chamey
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MEXICO WILL PAY said:

This story has been previously proven as false news reporting....you are repeating and posting false news...hopefully not intentionally.

• Like 2

The line in brackets certainly doesn't seem like Perez said it. It wouldn't be in brackets like that if he had and seems inserted by the journalists.

You are just making things up now. There has been no disproval of that statement.

The onus of proof is on the person who makes the statement, not on those of us who question it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, themenace said:

My wife and I drive 2 hours each way and have paid full price for tickets to each of the 8 games we've gone to over the past two seasons. Please tell me where these free tickets can be found. My wallet would appreciate it.

Yep this will be my 3rd full season. .. whatever number of games that is.
Anyway, I've used 4 bring a friend free ticket in those years.

The old "they're all free tickets" BS is getting really old and almost at the "tin foil hat" level.

Edited by PatrickB
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

The onus of proof is on the person who makes the statement, not on those of us who question it.

You are just making things up now. There has been no disproval of that statement.

Why don't you just tweet Perez and ASK HIM IF HE SAID IT...OR ARE YOU AFRAID OF SOMETHING Amigo?

4 minutes ago, PatrickB said:

Yep this will be my 3rd full season. .. whatever number of games that is.
Anyway, I've used 4 bring a friend free ticket in those years.

The old "they're all free tickets" BS is getting really old and almost at the tin foil hat level.

Its sickening the level that some of them reach down for in the gutter......just get ready for the first home game, if we sell it out they  will say 2 or 3 thousand at most....very troubling.

Edited by Kayakman
  • Like 3

The choice of Ottawa seems a much better one than the small industrial city of Hamilton near Toronto that was previously being considered. On the other hand Montreal would have been better than Ottawa. But there is no reason why Montreal couldn't be added later if Toronto is soon promoted to Super League and Ottawa is soon promoted to the Championship, thereby proving that they are successful. Ottawa is actually closer to Montreal (a 2 hour drive)  than to Toronto  (a 4 and 1/2 hour drive) which would make travel easier for fans of both Ottawa and Montreal when going to away games of the other. After those arrangements are completed all we will be missing is mighty Vancouver in the far west, to one day create a Canadian conference in Super League.

Edited by Manfred Mann
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Dr Tim Whatley said:

Couple of good wind-up tweets on there today.

Oh yeah, they hooked a few people in, then wheeled out the comedy!! Bit like that Liverpool RL page that got loads of traffic when Marwan was talking about a team, then started advertising sex toys or something like that...

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Dr Tim Whatley said:

Couple of good wind-up tweets on there today.

Those are great tweets..I LIKE HOW THEY ARE KEEPING THE STAGS NAME...BET THEY WILL PLAY THEIR EARLY HOME GAMES AT HEMEL; HERES A HOPING FOR A WHOLE NEW RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN THE TWO COMMUNITIES; I SAY TWIN THOSE CITIES!!!!!

Plus this could act as as big boost for the Hemel club...what a unique situation for that Club...exciting/ interesting times indeed!

Parky wrote:

'we have a reality filter on here that blocks out reality'

Over here we call those 'blinders'.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TIWIT said:

Parky wrote:

'we have a reality filter on here that blocks out reality'

Over here we call those 'blinders'.

Over here we call them "Peaky Blinders"

15 hours ago, Kayakman said:

To be fair to anti-expansionists ( Yes I know!) there is some kind of thread pf looking backwards into the past and inwards to being British throughout the UK, and even Brexit is only one example of this.

"It is, by a million miles, a better sport than union. League is 80 minutes of physicality, speed, good handling, good kicking. It’s continuous."

13 hours ago, MEXICO WILL PAY said:

10 hours ago, MEXICO WILL PAY said:

Well there is a simple way here you can read it in English with suffient comprehension to determine which bit is quotes and which bit is the reporter.

What we've forgotten to all our detriment is that there's a lot of lazy reporting, a bunch of bias and a tendency for reporters not to leave their homes and read sites not unlike this one to find out what they should be writing.

TGG is a prime example and candidate for all of these and has been throughout its history.

To put it simply in a protestant country the catholics tend to have the bad press and vice versa.

• Like 1

"It is, by a million miles, a better sport than union. League is 80 minutes of physicality, speed, good handling, good kicking. It’s continuous."

As long as people are watching I don’t see how free tickets are a bad thing. Surely in an ideal world teams could be entirely funded by alternative methods, sponsership, tv rights etc and everyone could watch their team for free, crowds would double over night. The only time it becomes an issue is if the alleged free tickets stop and attendances plummett. 

12 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

The choice of Ottawa seems a much better one than the small industrial city of Hamilton near Toronto that was previously being considered. 

Just wanted to clarify that the city of Hamilton's population is over 500,000, quite a bit more than Hull UK, and more than Leeds or Liverpool. I'd say it's more than a "small city". I think Hamilton is plenty large enough to support a team, but it's too close to Toronto for a new franchise in a sport that is trying to set down roots. I agree Ottawa is a better choice.

3 hours ago, fevtom said:

As long as people are watching I don’t see how free tickets are a bad thing

The Canberra Raiders gives a free season ticket to every local junior player. It works quite well as they have a free ticket and nag their parents to take them to a game. The parents pay and they have to bring the siblings, buy chips in the stadium etc.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, John WP Fan said:

Just wanted to clarify that the city of Hamilton's population is over 500,000, quite a bit more than Hull UK, and more than Leeds or Liverpool. I'd say it's more than a "small city". I think Hamilton is plenty large enough to support a team, but it's too close to Toronto for a new franchise in a sport that is trying to set down roots. I agree Ottawa is a better choice.

Population comparisons between UK and NA are a bit misleading generally due to the physical geography. Cities in NA are more spaced out. because obviously there is more land with a much clearer demarcation but this usually means that a much smaller figure is given for the UK cities as because cities are often packed so close together there is a measure that is just the city centre. The 474k figure given for leeds is literally just the city centre, when you include the suburbs where we are talking only 2,3,4,5 miles outside the city centre you are looking at nigh on 800k. If you compare it to what most NA cities look at which is their metropolitan area you are looking at somewhere between 2.3m and 2.6m. Similar with Liverpool.

If we were in NA "Leeds" would stretch from Harrogate to Barnsley and from Bradford and Calderdale across to Selby and York and "Liverpool" would stretch from Sefton to Knowsley and The Wirrall to St Helens. They are just single continuous Urban developments without any real clear demarcations. Theres no real physical gaps there anymore.

Thats not really the case where somewhere like Hamilton is a city in its own right yet counted also as part of the greater toronto area but geographically its nigh on 40miles away from Toronto. There is a clear physical, geographic gap between them.