Stadium..a sad day

Rango

Reds have 6 years to run on their lease from Allerdale- Town still have decades left on theirs unless some hitherto undisclosed manouevering has taken place. In the face of hostility towards a new stadium from the usual suspects who favour ego massaging over progress I suspect the "Plan B" will be the fall-back position of the ragtag collection of councillors now holding sway. A Rainbow coalition it ain't!  So, a radical upgrade of Derwent Park would seem the way forward in order to accommodate both Clubs, unless that is the New Guard decide to scupper that as well..........?

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, rockerlad said:

speedway folded owing money. it was never stated it was a 12 month break.

more news 

https://www.in-cumbria.com/news/17669151.no-guarantees-for-workingtons-new-stadium-allerdale-council-leader/?ref=twtrec

Yes they did say a possible return in 2020 rockerlad marra.....In January of this year, when announcing their demise, they said they would be applying to the BSPA( Speedway controlling body) to have their licence "put on ice" until 2020.

I fear if the decision is watered down to a refurbishment of derwent park. It wont be done in time for the world cup games? The same process will need to be followed I'd imagine. Consultations, design phase, and appointing an investor/funding?

Politics is a funny old game; one thing I noticed in the local election campaign was that a lot of the Labour opposition parties acknowledged the need for a upgraded sports facilities but questioned the economics behind it. Now the election is over, I think you may see a slight shift in opinions, as like it or not, the stadium was a vote winner/loser respectively for all parties.

At the minute I would imagine there's an awful lot of number crunching and discussions going on with various parties to see if the figures do stack up as insisted by the Labour party reps prior to the election.

If the figures don't add up, then I would guess the logical step would be to look at upgrading Derwent Park for both clubs to share. The current site is huge, and there's still ample room to do a deal with both the NHS and Sellafield to build office space as the site is cleared. one option could be to demolish the popular side and build one modern stand with a mixture of seating and standing with all the facilities you could expect for a modern stadium along the lines of Salfords main grandstand.

Build a couple of covered terracing behind each set of sticks and you would have an 8,000 capacity ground at a fraction of the cost of the proposed new stadium. The current main grandstand at DP is still in decent condition, a single story extension could be added to extend the bars, hospitality, new office space and a modern toilet block.

I'm no expert, but if Derwent Park could be redeveloped for £8-10 million, then surely there would be very little opposition locally?

Alternatively if the figures for the new stadium do stack up, then expect the Independent and Conservatives to come back with an ever so slightly amended design to make sure its a slight variation of the original proposal and take all the glory for the construction of the new stadium

The detailed business case is irresistible, the lease will cost 1/3 of what the anti's were saying before the elections, it will be a 30 year lease with an option for ABC to take a further 20 years. At 2% interest rates, a chance like this will never come again in our lifetimes.

Hearing it's on shaky ground. If the independents pull this I hope that the electorate remembers that they screwed up a once in a lifetime chance. Dinosaurs and will take the area backwards. My grandkids should have the best facilities and this would give them that 

After talking about this with a council member yesterday its very shakey by the sound of it. 

I would say it's only about 20% chance of going through now.

Not good and sums up West Cumbria and West Cumbrians attitude and lack of ambition in general and I did tell the councillor that as well.....

3 hours ago, Chrome Dome said:

Yes they did say a possible return in 2020 rockerlad marra.....In January of this year, when announcing their demise, they said they would be applying to the BSPA( Speedway controlling body) to have their licence "put on ice" until 2020.

The company who ran it has a winding up order against them. And they still owe Town money I believe.

9 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

After talking about this with a council member yesterday its very shakey by the sound of it. 

I would say it's only about 20% chance of going through now.

Not good and sums up West Cumbria and West Cumbrians attitude and lack of ambition in general and I did tell the councillor that as well.....

That’s one of the negatives of living in west cumbriae. Too many dinosaurs.

I don’t have any objection to the redevelopment of DP but something needs to be done.

Unfortunetly the stadium looks dead in the water,the new councillors who were so against the development are at the moment very very quiet,these people were very vocal in there opposition, but now they are in charge what are they gonna do? My guess would be nothing.I cant believe this area is so negative!

2 minutes ago, bigapple said:

Unfortunetly the stadium looks dead in the water,the new councillors who were so against the development are at the moment very very quiet,these people were very vocal in there opposition, but now they are in charge what are they gonna do? My guess would be nothing.I cant believe this area is so negative!

DON'T TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER!!!!!!!  PUSH THEM!!!!!

This is West Cumbria Marra - Peoples ambition in the area extends to trying to finish at midday on a Friday without doing any work then sitting in Wetherspoon's all weekend drinking cheap lager ....... The really ambitious ones go to Benidorm once a year - and sit in a pub like Wetherspoon's drinking cheap lager....??

6 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

This is West Cumbria Marra - Peoples ambition in the area extends to trying to finish at midday on a Friday without doing any work then sitting in Wetherspoon's all weekend drinking cheap larger ....... The really ambitious ones go to Benidorm once a year - and sit in a pub like Wetherspoon's drinking cheap larger....??

THAT COULD ALL BE PARTLY TRUE BUT IT DOES NOT CHANGE THE EQUATION ONE IOTA:  "Don't take no for an answer!  Push them!  You deserve this stadium...you need this stadium...and you will not rest or quit hounding them until it is built....unfortunately its the only language these right wingers seem to understand.   Boo them when they appear in public."

Fight for it!

The independents were all very vocal before the election now in power they say nothing, the Tory deputy leader seems to have gone into hiding full of alternatives a month ago,now nothing. Time is ticking for the world cup

1 hour ago, Kayakman said:

THAT COULD ALL BE PARTLY TRUE BUT IT DOES NOT CHANGE THE EQUATION ONE IOTA:  "Don't take no for an answer!  Push them!  You deserve this stadium...you need this stadium...and you will not rest or quit hounding them until it is built....unfortunately its the only language these right wingers seem to understand.   Boo them when they appear in public."

Fight for it!

You've been larging it on the maple syrup and meths again. The combined gates of both Town and Reds averages 1500 or so on a good day. That's a very small voice in the wilderness that is West Cumbrian politics and the possibility of getting the remainder of the electorate to make a clamour isn't going to happen. The local media are to campaigning journalism what Eddie the Eagle was to record breaking winter sports and their enthusiasm for local sport is equally pathetic. The slim hope is that this latest coterie of political bedfellows won't have the nerve to scrap the whole thing. What any possible compromise might be remains to be seen. 

1 hour ago, Mr Frisky said:

This is West Cumbria Marra - Peoples ambition in the area extends to trying to finish at midday on a Friday without doing any work then sitting in Wetherspoon's all weekend drinking cheap lager ....... The really ambitious ones go to Benidorm once a year - and sit in a pub like Wetherspoon's drinking cheap lager....??

No need to bring Donald into this !

Mr Frisky,  Years ago I had the privilege of working on a major refurbishment job in Whitehaven that lasted 3 or 4 months.I employed about 4 local lads on the site.I have nothing but praise for you Cumbrian guys for the way you worked,never shirked any job,always there each and every day.I used to go out every Thursday around town either in Whitehaven or Worky.Always turned up for work Friday mornings.I trusted them all that much that when I went home on Friday and asked them to work Saturdays or Sundays I would pay them upfront as I knew they would complete the jobs I left them with.Never once did they let me down so I have nothing but praise for them I am sorry to read that maybe times have changed for the worse up there.I ,for one will never hear a wrong word said about the working men of Cumbria.Great people one and all. And this is from a Northern/Bulls supporter.Anyway I hope you get your new ground and prosper on the playing side with it.

3 hours ago, Seaton Sandy said:

You've been larging it on the maple syrup and meths again. The combined gates of both Town and Reds averages 1500 or so on a good day. That's a very small voice in the wilderness that is West Cumbrian politics and the possibility of getting the remainder of the electorate to make a clamour isn't going to happen. The local media are to campaigning journalism what Eddie the Eagle was to record breaking winter sports and their enthusiasm for local sport is equally pathetic. The slim hope is that this latest coterie of political bedfellows won't have the nerve to scrap the whole thing. What any possible compromise might be remains to be seen. 

2 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Nothing wrong with the people marra, just the mentality of the area is always to make do and not push for better things like they would do down south.

Frisky is right Sandy...you would order steak and then settle for chopped liver.  There is no reason why the good people of Cumbria can't have, and should have, a top of the line stadium.   Where I live is very rural and some people have the mentality that since we are in the boonies we should settle for second best when it comes to services etc.....not acceptable.

Time to fight!

Could be way off with this, but here goes.

Articles I have seen published indicate that the Safety Certificate for BP run out this month. So how will we able to play our next home game at BP while the pitch is repaid at DP?

Hope it's a mistake in what's been published

14 minutes ago, MikeMc said:

Could be way off with this, but here goes.

Articles I have seen published indicate that the Safety Certificate for BP run out this month. So how will we able to play our next home game at BP while the pitch is repaid at DP?

Hope it's a mistake in what's been published

I think BP's safety certificate expires at the end of next month.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Archived