Jump to content
Rango

Stadium..a sad day

Recommended Posts

Still a lot of work to be done down at DP  ,But reading the article in the T&S  you would think  everything.as been done .   There is now wire mesh  where the speedway boards  were on the Popular side that needs painted , All the speedway safety boards around the track have been removed .a lot of them were either hanging off or rotten . along the track in front of the popular side, and the Town end bend still needs a lot of cleaning up .The pitch is now higher than the speedway track, drainage channels have been dug out all round the pitch ,so now rain water doesn't run directly onto it from the track , but although its beneficial  to the pitch . the area still needs a lot of work , to look decent for the start of the season .But there is only so much the FEW volunteers can do . So anybody with any spare time , you know where to go .UTT

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Keith T said:

Its amazing what you can find out on here.  I have been a shareholder at Town since 1990 and I can learn more on here than I have ever learned from being a shareholder.  I may be wrong but surely that cannot be right, can it?  

The information that I put on earlier was from my attendance at a shareholders meeting and came directly from Allerdales finance officer. The value of the lease is calculated using a method laid down in local authority legislation. As stated earlier, the value of the lease to Town is limited by the conditions regarding its use, restrictions on sub letting etc. and the fact that any buyer (Allerdale) has to remove the existing stadium before they could achieve full value on the open market. You also need to factor in the fact that Allerdale cannot take over without first building a replacement stadium. Once all that is complete the value of the land would be significantly increased, as owners Allerdale would not be subject to the conditions imposed on Town, something that our councillors didn’t bother mentioning when they made what appears to me to be a political decision rather than what’s best for the area.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 100% agree with this post on the Reds forum. Town & Reds have been denied a first class Stadium.  God knows what we'll end up with.

Post by MBR » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:18 am

I agree that a successful team in a new stadium, which will promote investment and economic regeneration, is what is needed. However the first class stadium complex that would have done that was rejected by the current Allerdale Executive. Marion Fitzgerald, the Leader (and the Seaton Svengali who pulls her strings) will never agree to a stadium plan for Workington AFC that costs the Council much money.

Mrs Fitzgerald uses terms like 'fit for', 'proportionate' and 'appropriate'. What she means is appropriate for a town like Workington that she looks down on the lofty heights of her home near Carlisle. When recently visiting Warrington, she said she was impressed by the new stadium yet went on to make clear that it was too impressive for Workington!

If a new stadium finally goes ahead, and I know I am not the only fan who doubts this outcome, it will be cheap and nasty, merely an updated version of the tin sheets and basic structure we have now. And guaranteeing even that will happen requires strong pressure from the Club. So the Board's decision to form the Stadium Team is excellent news.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd rather stay at Derwent park than go to some low budget alternative. It was an experience playing on bourgh park but the view of the action was poor for RL. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of the comments from Reds and Town fans about the stadium are laughable.

Let's look at the facts, we have 2 clubs who don't have pot to ###### in and little prospect of ever being taken over by a multi-millionaire, both struggling to crack an average of 1000 supporters to games complaining that they would rather stay in the respective decrepit stadiums rather than move into a 'cheap and nasty version of what have now'' !!

Town will never rise higher than Championship rugby, and the Reds could possibly get to the Conference. Forget about Super League and the Football League as it is never going to happen without a major investor who is prepared to lose at least one million a year to sustain top level rugby.

Allerdale have a duty of care to ensure the stadium development is not a white elephant that will pull funding from other essential areas in the borough, let's not forget that less than 2% of the current population of Allerdale currently use the Red's and Town stadiums, but the other 98%  will be expected to contribute towards the initial building and upkeep of the facility once its built.

I personally would rather see a nice modern compact stadium with 4 or 5k capacity, housing one main grandstand with all the modern facilities under the one roof plus 3 covered sheds with refreshment facilities and toilets. A good example of this is Fylde FC or Fleetwood Town.

At the end of day, beggars can't be choosers, and until we get a sugar daddy we fall in to the 'beggars' category!

 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

Some of the comments from Reds and Town fans about the stadium are laughable.

Let's look at the facts, we have 2 clubs who don't have pot to ###### in and little prospect of ever being taken over by a multi-millionaire, both struggling to crack an average of 1000 supporters to games complaining that they would rather stay in the respective decrepit stadiums rather than move into a 'cheap and nasty version of what have now'' !!

Town will never rise higher than Championship rugby, and the Reds could possibly get to the Conference. Forget about Super League and the Football League as it is never going to happen without a major investor who is prepared to lose at least one million a year to sustain top level rugby.

Allerdale have a duty of care to ensure the stadium development is not a white elephant that will pull funding from other essential areas in the borough, let's not forget that less than 2% of the current population of Allerdale currently use the Red's and Town stadiums, but the other 98%  will be expected to contribute towards the initial building and upkeep of the facility once its built.

I personally would rather see a nice modern compact stadium with 4 or 5k capacity, housing one main grandstand with all the modern facilities under the one roof plus 3 covered sheds with refreshment facilities and toilets. A good example of this is Fylde FC or Fleetwood Town.

At the end of day, beggars can't be choosers, and until we get a sugar daddy we fall in to the 'beggars' category!

 

So your just ignoring the fact the stadium should be developed to be used for more than just Town and Reds matches, the idea is to have it usable for as much of the year as possible, its not just down to the sub 1000 Town/Reds fans. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, dkw said:

So your just ignoring the fact the stadium should be developed to be used for more than just Town and Reds matches, the idea is to have it usable for as much of the year as possible, its not just down to the sub 1000 Town/Reds fans. 

who's mentioned a stadium for for town and reds? what about the youth rugby and football teams as well? 

a 3g pitch then can be rented out ?? a decent social club that can host weddings and christening etc? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rockerlad said:

who's mentioned a stadium for for town and reds? what about the youth rugby and football teams as well? 

a 3g pitch then can be rented out ?? a decent social club that can host weddings and christening etc? 

Exactly this, the idea was its a community stadium used by the 2 semi pro sports teams in the area, along with as many other local users as possible. This centralises everything rather than having the youth teams desperately hunting for somewhere to train/play. To just throw it out as a stadium just for Reds/Town is disingenuous, and just plain wrong.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, town4me said:

I'd rather stay at Derwent park than go to some low budget alternative. It was an experience playing on bourgh park but the view of the action was poor for RL. 

The place is dropping to bits, maintenance costs are crippling the club. We just have to accept what's on offer I'm afraid. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, unicorn106 said:

The place is dropping to bits, maintenance costs are crippling the club. We just have to accept what's on offer I'm afraid. 

Redevelopment DP for town and reds. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, town4me said:

Redevelopment DP for town and reds. 

Not bothered which stadium they develop, as long as its modern and fit for purpose. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, town4me said:

Redevelopment DP for town and reds. 

all the recent reports are suggesting its BP which will be redeveloped and I've heard that there is still plans to developed the lonsdale park site 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, unicorn106 said:

Not bothered which stadium they develop, as long as its modern and fit for purpose. 

this also and as long as both clubs have equal share not bothered either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, town4me said:

Redevelopment DP for town and reds. 

It certainly has the best footprint if that is the only option left on the table.

I only hope that now the Seaton idiot is no longer on the Council the others can come up with a decent alternative and stop this just being a political points scoring game.

Lets get the people of Allerdale and especially the Youngsters a Stadium to be proud of and one they want to play in which ever their chosen sport is rather than having to leaving the area in their droves to find modern facilities in which to train and play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cumberland Sausage said:

It certainly has the best footprint if that is the only option left on the table.

I only hope that now the Seaton idiot is no longer on the Council the others can come up with a decent alternative and stop this just being a political points scoring game.

Lets get the people of Allerdale and especially the Youngsters a Stadium to be proud of and one they want to play in which ever their chosen sport is rather than having to leaving the area in their droves to find modern facilities in which to train and play.

the council also own the lonsdale park site now give them a massive footprint down there and better access, it's all irrelevant anyway as I wont believe it until I actually see it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It probably won't happen given that Allerdale Council has a leader from Wigton and is made up with people from the likes of Silloth and Aspatria. They don't give a toss about Workington or West Cumbria. Even the Workington based councilors are more interested in their own agenda, the likes of Stoddart would rather build a drug den at Moorclose. 😠😠😠

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rockerlad said:

all the recent reports are suggesting its BP which will be redeveloped and I've heard that there is still plans to developed the lonsdale park site 

I just find the BP site a bit compact and wasn't over impressed with the match view but I suppose we have to see what's proposed before judging 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me, the council, both clubs and community clubs/representatives all need to have a say in shaping any stadium/facility. It also needs to be done to some sort of schedule because at the minute we seem to go round and round in  circles without actually getting anywhere. Someone at the council needs to grab this by the b#lls, set some deadlines and get the bloody ball rolling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, townie88 said:

For me, the council, both clubs and community clubs/representatives all need to have a say in shaping any stadium/facility. It also needs to be done to some sort of schedule because at the minute we seem to go round and round in  circles without actually getting anywhere. Someone at the council needs to grab this by the b#lls, set some deadlines and get the bloody ball rolling

They couldn't run a raffle never mind a council. They promised to clamp down on Littering and dog fouling but the place is awash with the stuff, it's appalling. When was last time anyone was prosecuted for either offences I wonder. 🤔😠😠

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The irony about losing the 2021 WC is that DP is in better condition and has a bigger / better pitch than when we won the 2013 games.

DP has a bigger footprint than BP so if it's a phased build it would be good to redevelop DP.

Small covered terrace at the river end closer to the pitch first - loads of room as well behind.

Knock the popular side down next then build a largish covered terrace add in temporary seats while the main stand is knocked down and replaced with a new seated stand, offices, changing rooms, bars etc.

Once that's done take seats out of popular side to complete and as and when build a small coveted terrace at the new scoreboard end-  or keep the old terrace for character and save a bit of cash.

Simple and it could be done over 10 years if required.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr Frisky said:

The irony about losing the 2021 WC is that DP is in better condition and has a bigger / better pitch than when we won the 2013 games.

DP has a bigger footprint than BP so if it's a phased build it would be good to redevelop DP.

Small covered terrace at the river end closer to the pitch first - loads of room as well behind.

Knock the popular side down next then build a largish covered terrace add in temporary seats while the main stand is knocked down and replaced with a new seated stand, offices, changing rooms, bars etc.

Once that's done take seats out of popular side to complete and as and when build a small coveted terrace at the new scoreboard end-  or keep the old terrace for character and save a bit of cash.

Simple and it could be done over 10 years if required.

👍I'm with you. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, dkw said:

So your just ignoring the fact the stadium should be developed to be used for more than just Town and Reds matches, the idea is to have it usable for as much of the year as possible, its not just down to the sub 1000 Town/Reds fans. 

Not at all !!

If the main grandstand is designed in the same way as Fylde FC, Fleetwood and Salford RL, that would have all the facilities required to maintain usage, be it private functions, trade fairs, conferences etc. If one main furnished stand is big enough for the likes of Salford and Fylde which are far bigger towns than Workington, then where's the problem?

The rest of the development (ie: communal 3G pitch etc) would still go ahead as planned.

As I understand it, the offices originally earmarked to be built in the stands (at great cost) will now be built separately in blocks, which if you think logically about it is probably a better option as its easier to expand a standalone block  if the need arises as space within the grandstand would be limited by the stadium design.

I do agree with Frisky that Derwent Park has a much bigger footprint that the proposed stadium site, but lets not forget this scheme is develop the full Northside/Riverside area bringing the stadium and its facilities closer to the town centre.

Derwent Park once flattened is a huge site and ideal for housing, which would help towards the cost of the new stadium 

Let's all keep our fingers and toes crossed that the stadium does go ahead and isn't just another council folly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

Not at all !!

If the main grandstand is designed in the same way as Fylde FC, Fleetwood and Salford RL, that would have all the facilities required to maintain usage, be it private functions, trade fairs, conferences etc. If one main furnished stand is big enough for the likes of Salford and Fylde which are far bigger towns than Workington, then where's the problem?

The rest of the development (ie: communal 3G pitch etc) would still go ahead as planned.

As I understand it, the offices originally earmarked to be built in the stands (at great cost) will now be built separately in blocks, which if you think logically about it is probably a better option as its easier to expand a standalone block  if the need arises as space within the grandstand would be limited by the stadium design.

I do agree with Frisky that Derwent Park has a much bigger footprint that the proposed stadium site, but lets not forget this scheme is develop the full Northside/Riverside area bringing the stadium and its facilities closer to the town centre.

Derwent Park once flattened is a huge site and ideal for housing, which would help towards the cost of the new stadium 

Let's all keep our fingers and toes crossed that the stadium does go ahead and isn't just another council folly

the office block like you said is going to be built in stages financially independent of the stadium on the lonsdale park site if rumours are correct, I know someone from the reds has recently visited afc fylde.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, town4me said:

👍I'm with you. 

I've always though that both ends need bringing in. Then demolish behind town end for more parking. Or even a training pitch

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest I'd be more than happy to see a development  like that of Afc Fylde on either site, the main thing is getting the project moving. The council needs to realise that town and reds represent the whole of allerdale and further and needs to back the clubs. The Fylde model is actually quite appropriate as its location in Kirkham and Wesham are tiny towns in a larger area. Hopefully progress sooner rather than later

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...