Jump to content
Rango

Stadium..a sad day

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, rockerlad said:

reds is currently 3101, DP is 10,00 so slightly smaller than DP but alot bigger than BP

Reds ground wouldn't be far off 8,000 capacity with a new grandstand. Its things like toilets, turnstiles and emergency exits which affect the capacity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

Reds ground wouldn't be far off 8,000 capacity with a new grandstand. Its things like toilets, turnstiles and emergency exits which affect the capacity

There’s quite a bit more to it than that. 

There’s a complicated capacity calculation which is then multiplied by the lowest of either a physical (P) factor or safety management (S) factor of between 0 and 1; both of which are complicated in themselves. If either factor is 0 the ground capacity is 0. It doesn’t have to be applied to the whole ground, each spectator area is assessed separately in terms of physical factors, of course if the safety management is 0 it applies to the whole stadium.

Edited by pensioner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, GeordieTownie said:

Only because BP is on a reduced capacity. What was the capacity when the grandstand there was open?

The grandstand had 640 seats (in the Forties and Fifties), according to Trevor Delaney's The Grounds of Rugby League. Kerry Miller's The History of Non-League Football Grounds says 1,000 seats. Miller reckons Borough Park's capacity in the Fifties was about 20,000. Capacity at the end of 1986, not long before the grandstand roof was removed, must have been at least 10,000 because Borough Park fell foul of the Safety at Sports Grounds legislation.

Edited by Hopping Mad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure the boxing day fixture against Carlisle in 64/5 there was a crowd of 20k and 18k against Chelsea the following year. I remember people laying on the popular side roof. 😱

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

The grandstand had 640 seats (in the Forties and Fifties), according to Trevor Delaney's The Grounds of Rugby League. Kerry Miller's The History of Non-League Football Grounds says 1,000 seats. Miller reckons Borough Park's capacity in the Fifties was about 20,000. Capacity at the end of 1986, not long before the grandstand roof was removed, must have been at least 10,000 because Borough Park fell foul of the Safety at Sports Grounds legislation.

The 1975 act included any stadia with a capacity of 10,000 although there was a clause which dropped to 5,000 for football league grounds. Individual grounds were not covered until a designation order was in place. I think Derwent Park was designated in 1985 and Borough Park in 1986. I believe that the Zebras were included as a regulated stand in part because of the Cumberland V All Blacks game back in the early 70’s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/05/2019 at 12:59, Red Arrow said:

I was told the same,if it's financially viable it will go ahead. 

Good news (probably).

Does financial viability mean the new councillors reading the detail on the existing reports or waiting on a new report to be commissioned?

Anyone know of any potential financial stumbling blocks from what's in the public domain now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/05/2019 at 12:26, troutmaster said:

Some of the Independants do look at our Forum

That could be worrying.

Some of the comments at the beginning of the thread said that they would never vote for the independents or Conservatives, which kind of implies there is no extra votes for them if they did go ahead with the stadium.

For what its worth to any of the current councillors reading this. I held my nose and voted for a party that I would never usually vote for because they said they supported the new Stadium and I think it is good for the area.

The people at Allerdale Offices were telling me that they wanted to emulate the success of Carlisle's Brunton Park and bring big name acts to the new Stadium. Add in the office space within easy walking distance to the town centre for people to shop, get a coffee during their lunch break.

Lets build it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/06/2019 at 19:40, Kayakman said:

Light the signal fires, call out the home guard!  Powder the cannon and load the muskets!

Cannon and muskets is soft Kayakman.

In Wukkingtun the just need to scop a leather ball and settle it Uppies and Downies style:

The flood lights to the left of the starting shot are from Borough Park the Football stadium.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, rockerlad said:

there is some footage of lonsdale park here. 

Wow! Decent crowd and Marras on the roof of the stand.

What was the reason for moving the 50 metres from Lonsdale Park to Borough Park in the first place?

My Dad always said that when he watched Town at Borough Park as a kid, that if a try went in at the corner the whole crowd would move and he'd be taken off his feet moved a few metres to the corner then moved back again. Must have been incredible to have been at Borough Park in the early 1950s and watch such a successful team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Worky said:

Cannon and muskets is soft Kayakman.

In Wukkingtun the just need to scop a leather ball and settle it Uppies and Downies style:

The flood lights to the left of the starting shot are from Borough Park the Football stadium.

Looks like fun...I say make the Council into a team and then pit them against everyone else to show how popular their skin flint ways are with the populous that really matters!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Worky said:

 

What was the reason for moving the 50 metres from Lonsdale Park to Borough Park in the first place?

 

Borough Park was always meant to be a temporary home for Town. Believe it or not DP took 8 years to build due to the lack of building materials after the war, you had to have a special licence to construct anything that wasn't deemed to be essential to the repair or replacement of war damage. Funding was also an issue until the RFL lent Town £13,000 (about £450,000 today) to construct the grandstand.

  • Like 1

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rockerlad said:

Shocking that the decision is taking this long!? The decision is not just about the RLWC but the ability for the area to attract future events. Them comments are a clear indication that if we dint get this through, west Cumbria will well and truly be dead as a sporting area

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got a feeling the can will be kicked far enough down the road to make it impossible for the building timescales to be met in time for the World Cup. The Council  will then have an 'extended' consultation period to examine all the proposals thoroughly, which may or my not see a stadium built, but not based on the current design or capacity. How long that will take is anyone's guess, but I'll bet nothing is agreed before the next local elections!! 

That's my thought's on it anyway, I can't see this current council committing to anything unless Sellafield or the NHS have financially committed by means of a contract to be part of the new stadium.

I really hope I'm wrong, but my gut feeling says otherwise 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think what we will get in the end is a renovation of Derwent Park, with Borough Park still being demolished and the land being used to build a stand alone business park for Sellafield, NHS etc. Its papering over the cracks but short term populism always wins over long term strategy.

  • Sad 1

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rockerlad said:

The poignant words are in the statement, there is not another stadium in Cumbria suitable to stage a WC match, that is surely the best reason to build the Workington Community Stadium, for the RLWC, Reds, Town, but importantly the whole of the west Cumbrian community to use, enjoy and be proud of.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, bobg said:

The poignant words are in the statement, there is not another stadium in Cumbria suitable to stage a WC match, that is surely the best reason to build the Workington Community Stadium, for the RLWC, Reds, Town, but importantly the whole of the west Cumbrian community to use, enjoy and be proud of.

Shocking to think that as the 3rd biggest county (?), with a population of 500,000, there are no sufficient stadiums deemed fit for the rlwc. How can local authorities accept being left in the dark ages by everywhere else up and down the country. Sums up the mentality that this is seen as a negative rather than the huge potential it has. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GeordieTownie said:

I don’t know the background of any of the councillors. Do they have any business experience and are they fit to understand the business proposal and make those calls?

The answer to that for the vast majority is a resounding no.

  • Like 1

Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Angry and frustrated that this is dragging on so long almost like its a deliberate smothering tactic from people against it . They are defying the wishes of the vast majority . Some seem happy to live in the shadows , live in the past and just block progress . Open your eyes to the future , the possibilities on all kinds of fronts with a facility like this . If we bomb this shot it’ll be a stone cold bloody disgrace and folk shouldn’t be forgotten for it or forgiven . They’ll never give us anything again and why should they . We want these WC games and everything after that in sport , entertainment , commercially etc this opens you up to for years n years .Itll be a boon for the area and a shot in the arm for a place that’s been left behind . We’ll be back on the map as an attraction and genuine modern magnet for events .Something to be proud of for the area  . Huge .Get a shift on get it going and get it done . Look at our grounds they’re derelict . Both clubs need it .... West Cumbria needs it . To much petty political posturing and backbiting and not enough vision outside their bubble 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GeordieTownie said:

I don’t know the background of any of the councillors. Do they have any business experience and are they fit to understand the business proposal and make those calls?

They would struggle to run a raffle. I get the feeling most of the independants are in it for themselves and couldn't give a flying f*** about Allerdale especially the ones from outside the area newly elected Mayor and Mayoress. Having a leader from Wigton isn't going to help I'm afraid. Hope I'm wrong on this. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Angry and frustrated that this is dragging on so long almost like its a deliberate smothering tactic from people against it . They are defying the wishes of the vast majority . Some seem happy to live in the shadows , live in the past and just block progress . Open your eyes to the future , the possibilities on all kinds of fronts with a facility like this . If we bomb this shot it’ll be a stone cold bloody disgrace and folk shouldn’t be forgotten for it or forgiven . They’ll never give us anything again and why should they . We want these WC games and everything after that in sport , entertainment , commercially etc this opens you up to for years n years .Itll be a boon for the area and a shot in the arm for a place that’s been left behind . We’ll be back on the map as an attraction and genuine modern magnet for events .Something to be proud of for the area  . Huge .Get a shift on get it going and get it done . Look at our grounds they’re derelict . Both clubs need it .... West Cumbria needs it . To much petty political posturing and backbiting and not enough vision outside their bubble 

Spot on .Agree with every word 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A chance to well and truly put workington and west Cumbria on the map. If left to deteriorate any further, we could end up as bad a state as whitehaven! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The new council are just running the clock down and there is nothing we can do about it,They will just keep putting meetings on the backburner until the RFL step in and say,sorry,there will be no games for Workington town or CUMBRIA.I really think the two clubs should get together and wake up this farcicle crop of people who are a collective bunch with no idea on how to run a business has big has Allerdale,The deputy couldn't even run a proper job of any party he has been associated with,He even done the dirty on his conservative councillor that invited him into the cons party,I would not trust him with a bargepole never mind a deputy of Allerdale,and how have we managed to elect someone in has the leader who is from Wigton?,I really thought the Independent party would have stood their ground and backed the new stadium has a few of them were actually efficient at sport,but it looks like they have let Workington town&Workington reds down the bleeding swanny,shame on you lads,hope you put more into the next 4 years better than you right now....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just popped down to the ground to see the progress on the ground,Well I was surprised that there is not a single vehicle on the field area.I Have been told that the council has stopped the hire of equipment and they would only know why?,The equipment is now on a job at Penrith so god know's when the field will be finished and the grass has not even been laid,if things go on as they are will we have a field to play on if the reds have to leave Borough park next month so where are we going to play.It might mean we will have to beg the zebras for a loan of their field,what bloody calamity this new council are causing,only been in a few weeks and they are wrecking sports out of Workington altogether.

20190606_135306.jpg

20190606_135319.jpg

20190606_135602.jpg

20190606_135617.jpg

20190606_135643.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...