Hats off to the Wire (Again!)

On 22/06/2019 at 18:06, meast said:

Meaning Warrington, courtesy of Mr Moran, and their income streams have a far bigger budget than most clubs, it was a figure of speech.

A lot of what they're doing falls under the banner of guerilla marketing and a lot of it is relativelty low cost for the impact it has. They really aren't doing much that any other club, certainly at SL level, shouldn't be able to at least take inspiration from. 

How it's translating into turnstyle clicks will be interesting, but there's no denying that from a brand perspective, they're doing an awful lot right. A lot of their marketing actually seems to be targeted at visiting supporters (the banner flown over St Helens and the 'They're only Roosters' van at Wigan were clearly targeted at Saints and Wigan fans), but its still a level of proactivity that's sadly lacking from many many clubs. 

One thing RL fans seem to criticise more than anything is the fact that the game doesn't get talked about enough, be that by the public or the press. What they don't seem to realise is that the sport and the clubs don't do enough to get people talking about them. Whatever you think about Warrington's approach, people are talking about them. 

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Considering you have such a low opinion of the wire, and they are so unsuccessful and jealous of Saints you certainly have a bee in your bonnet about them wanting to publicise a match. Maybe if crawl back under our stone you could rest easy, so sad.

No issues of any club promoting the game except their cheap stunt just smacked of total jealousy 

sky were televising a live game between 2 of the biggest clubs and all some sad wire fan wanted to do was grab the limelight. Why didn’t they fly over before the game or at half time if it was purely about advertising ?

It was just pathetic attention seeking !

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

3 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

A lot of what they're doing falls under the banner of guerilla marketing and a lot of it is relativelty low cost for the impact it has. They really aren't doing much that any other club, certainly at SL level, shouldn't be able to at least take inspiration from. 

How it's translating into turnstyle clicks will be interesting, but there's no denying that from a brand perspective, they're doing an awful lot right. A lot of their marketing actually seems to be targeted at visiting supporters (the banner flown over St Helens and the 'They're only Roosters' van at Wigan were clearly targeted at Saints and Wigan fans), but its still a level of proactivity that's sadly lacking from many many clubs. 

One thing RL fans seem to criticise more than anything is the fact that the game doesn't get talked about enough, be that by the public or the press. What they don't seem to realise is that the sport and the clubs don't do enough to get people talking about them. Whatever you think about Warrington's approach, people are talking about them. 

no it isnt he's obviously a Wolf FFS!

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

No issues of any club promoting the game except their cheap stunt just smacked of total jealousy 

sky were televising a live game between 2 of the biggest clubs and all some sad wire fan wanted to do was grab the limelight. Why didn’t they fly over before the game or at half time if it was purely about advertising ?

because if they had done that SKY wouldnt have shown it.. they had a chance of it being on sky and that was the point.. make people talk about it and about the game next week more than they would.. its not hard to see exactly why they did.. they were looking for attention to be paid to the game next week. that is the whole point! :kolobok_dash1:

2 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

One thing RL fans seem to criticise more than anything is the fact that the game doesn't get talked about enough, be that by the public or the press.

This is exactly the intention of it all being a bit edgy and provocative.

Wolfie has been talked about nationally in the past and has had a passing mention on TV once or twice, most recently I think on the Last Leg comedy show.   If he continues to put himself about at National Sporting Events and with crafty wind-up stunts against opposition clubs, he’ll continue to make brief appearances in the media and hopefully that will highlight the club to the general public.   If you live within an hour of a club this sort of stuff might just make you curious enough to try a RL game, which will be good for Warrington and even better for RL due to the location of the club within an untapped potential fan base.

Let’s hope so, it’s all good fun.

7 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

some sad wire fan

I believe Wolfie and the marketing manager are actually just employees of a sporting organisation.   If they are fans that’s just a bonus but I really don’t think they sit at home in their free time planning the downfall of another club ?.

5 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Wolfie has been talked about nationally in the past and has had a passing mention on TV once or twice, most recently I think on the Last Leg comedy show.   If he continues to put himself about at National Sporting Events and with crafty wind-up stunts against opposition clubs, he’ll continue to make brief appearances in the media and hopefully that will highlight the club to the general public.   If you live within an hour of a club this sort of stuff might just make you curious enough to try a RL game, which will be good for Warrington and even better for RL due to the location of the club within an untapped potential fan base.

If he gets more exposure on the National scene he may even help drive people to other clubs to see what all the fuss is about... even Saints... you never know it may actually help everyone (more than that dopey dog in a red v does anyway! ?)

5 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Exactly. And those extra column inches and TV apperances are exactly the sort of thing that can go into your sales pitch to new sponsors.

But yeah, why can't Warrington be like every other clubs with those owners that "don't believe in marketing"? They should just accept the declining gates and the sponsorship revenue that the other clubs have accepted because it's "too hard" to do something about it. 

19 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Maybe we should just put a few posters up in the local vaping stores and not upset a few saints fans.

9 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

Personally not a big fan of the style - it's a bit tacky and childish

I think we’ve been sporting about it - nothing too personal, just ‘We are waiting’ which isn’t really too provocative.   We’ve been childish in the past with the Widnes digs.

9 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

Are attendances noticeably bigger as a result?

Most likely not the intention as has been mooted.

I’m sure I read somewhere that even though we are 4th/5th in terms of attendances, we actually have the biggest income stream and are only second behind Leeds in terms of size of the business.   Pretty impressive considering we didn’t win much between the 1970s and 2010s...   so much potential untapped fan base too to the south.   If only RL got their act together in general we might make inroads.  At least we are doing our bit?

Peter Deaken got the vast majority of his marketing ideas from other sports, particularly American ones, good on Warrington for taking the same approach. There isn't a lot new in the sports marketing game, but, being able to apply it isn't easy. Warrington seem to have nailed it.

I wish more clubs would do a lot more pathetic attention seeking, you never know the game may catch on if they did.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

31 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Yes it was attention seeking thats the whole point of it!  or do you prefer the game to be a clandestine thing?  Maybe we should have a closely guarded password that admits you into the ground or better still play the game down potholes in the Dales, would exclude those of us of more generous propotions mind, then we wouldn't need publicity.

Where's that brick wall????

17 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Maybe we should just put a few posters up in the local vaping stores and not upset a few saints fans.

Saints fan singular, just Toppy. I thought it was excellent, generated pretty much the only bit of atmosphere we had all game too. Of course though I do hope Wire end up with egg on their faces on Friday!

I think the players should be encouraged to show more of their personality... Social media etc. 

Too many play it safe... Some boxing style jibes/hype with opposing players?....it would be fun and get people talking outside of the RL circle.... Imagine Rob Butler sending that video of him clattering Drinkwater last week to say Jake Trueman and suggesting he's next come Sunday or something..... Would be great

7 minutes ago, Moove said:

Saints fan singular, just Toppy. I thought it was excellent, generated pretty much the only bit of atmosphere we had all game too. Of course though I do hope Wire end up with egg on their faces on Friday!

if they do then i hope Saints make something of it on Social Media etc, in a fun way, that may break into some mainstream media.. googling the "cathedral argument on twitter" that i remembered from a while back (turns out october 2017) which then turned into a "cathedral world cup" and there were articles about it in the Guardian, BBC and the Independent (just from what was on google under that search).. if things are lighthearted and fun then they get a bit of coverage.. which is good

14 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

Yes it was attention seeking thats the whole point of it!  or do you prefer the game to be a clandestine thing?  Maybe we should have a closely guarded password that admits you into the ground or better still play the game down potholes in the Dales, would exclude those of us of more generous propotions mind, then we wouldn't need publicity.

Maybe just to keep wire’s inferiority complex going Saints should organise their own fly past on Friday night. Instead of “the wolves are waiting” it should read “64 Years and still waiting” ?

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

14 minutes ago, Moove said:

No problem you expect fans too want their own team to win.

21 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

No need to bring the state of Cas and Wakeys grounds into this thread

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

18 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I think the players should be encouraged to show more of their personality... Social media etc. 

With certain caveats...   Zak Hardaker for example ?

15 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Maybe just to keep wire’s inferiority complex going Saints should organise their own fly past on Friday night. Instead of “the wolves are waiting” it should read “64 Years and still waiting” ?

Maybe they should.   Anything to keep growing their fan base and help stem the shrinking of the game in this hemisphere.   

35 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

yes absolutely.. its a "phoney war" that can be done with some fun and levity and can bring attention to the game.. thats the whole point..... how about a big banner that has what Saints have won since.. with some nice pics of the Super League trophy etc.. get the mascot involved winding Wolfie up.. could come out with a big blow up trophy for example and a superman cape.. make something of it rather than bemoan Warrington for actually doing something.. 

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Saint Toppy said:

Yep, that is exactly what Saints should do. It would be great fun, far better than you whingeing on here.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Archived