Notice

53 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

It’s a fair point you Make but I think the response you’ve got is due to the a number of people who can’t do anything but be negative about Toronto (there was yet another post on the Championship thread about the crowd there and atmosphere, for example even though neatly 8k were there) and it gets a bit dull. 

It's all about opinions! 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I put it on about the (non) atmosphere at Toronto yesterday but in no way did i slate them and at the end of the day they are in Rugby League now and good luck to them. 

18 hours ago, MADREDNIGE said:

I put it on about the (non) atmosphere at Toronto yesterday but in no way did i slate them and at the end of the day they are in Rugby League now and good luck to them. 

I also think we shouldn't underestimate the change (enforced) for Toronto having to kick off at lunchtime. This is really going to impact on the atmosphere IMO. How many lunchtime soccer games often have a dead atmosphere? If it was 4pm as before you have the party atmosphere for 2-3 hours before kick off and then the game after. Also, you have to factor in that sport is just a different experience for people in different countries.

8 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I also think we shouldn't underestimate the change (enforced) for Toronto having to kick off at lunchtime. This is really going to impact on the atmosphere IMO. How many lunchtime soccer games often have a dead atmosphere? If it was 4pm as before you have the party atmosphere for 2-3 hours before kick off and then the game after. Also, you have to factor in that sport is just a different experience for people in different countries.

Toronto fans gave up a lot when kickoff time was moved from 4 p.m. to 1 p.m. More fans are likely to show up for the later start time and stay after the game and into Saturday evening for beers. Also the 1 p.m. start time means the game is played during the hottest part of the day, which is baking hot a lot of the summer. I understand the change was made to accommodate away teams who want to fly out on the Saturday night direct to Manchester. Happy for them to do that, but just to point out that Wolfpack have been pretty flexible on things like this.

In my third year as a Wolfpack fan attending Lamport games, I'd say we're pretty happy with the atmosphere.

21 hours ago, Marauder said:

... now address my concern of the cracks (very large cracks) in the concrete.

I'm not personally concerned about the concrete and, more importantly, neither is the city of Toronto which owns Lamport. The city spent gobs of money in early 2018 to dig up and entirely replace the playing surface, add underground drainage, and lay the new G4 pitch. Trust me, if the stadium were considered in any way deficient structurally, those upgrades wouldn't have happened.

We're all good here.

22 hours ago, Marauder said:

...now address my concern of the cracks (very large cracks) in the concrete.

Who do you actually think you are?

And who you think the Toronto fans are?

If you're that concerned then email Toronto City Council. I'm sure they will get straight back to you, having never thought to consult a structural engineer themselves before.

This forum is going mad. 

22 hours ago, Marauder said:

Find where I've LAUNCHED any attack on Toronto, I have if you check aired my concerns of other clubs joining so shortly afterwards because our playing pool isn't large enough to bear two or three more clubs at this standard, now address my concern of the cracks (very large cracks) in the concrete.

The stadium was built in 1974, of course there are some cracks in the concrete.

It doesn't look much different from a number of Super League stadiums:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'm certain once TWP are in Super League, our facilities will be upgraded accordingly.  For the clubs above, what's their excuse?

1 hour ago, Loup said:

I'm not personally concerned about the concrete and, more importantly, neither is the city of Toronto which owns Lamport. The city spent gobs of money in early 2018 to dig up and entirely replace the playing surface, add underground drainage, and lay the new G4 pitch. Trust me, if the stadium were considered in any way deficient structurally, those upgrades wouldn't have happened.

We're all good here.

When the decision is made to renovate Lamport, it would be nice to see City of Toronto go with a modular stadium for Lamport.  Way cheaper than a fixed structure and can grow with the clubs needs.

BC Lions used one in 2010 while GM Place was renovated and many NA soccer clubs use them.

Empire Field (BC Lions Temporary Home)

spacer.png

I was there last season with Batley Bulldogs, I quite liked the stadium also the transport system, the 3 Brewers in fact the whole dammed experience.

2 hours ago, CanadianRugger said:

The stadium was built in 1974, of course there are some cracks in the concrete.

It doesn't look much different from a number of Super League stadiums:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'm certain once TWP are in Super League, our facilities will be upgraded accordingly.  For the clubs above, what's their excuse?

The thing is, those photos actually show the best bits of Belle Vue and Wheldon Road!

On 14/07/2019 at 16:10, Loup said:

*Puts hand up*

Sir! Sir! Sir!

I've been there and have actual first hand experience! Lamport is a great little RL ground! Perfect location, five nearby pubs, beer garden, multiple public transit routes (bus, tram, train), beer garden, perfect size for today's fan base, easy to walk around, beer garden, and a new scoreboard!

I must say, complaining about the concrete is a new level of moaning. We do have Elf and Safety here in Canada, you know.

Don't forget the beer garden. ?

2 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Don't forget the beer garden. ?

Now if there were cracks in the beer garden...

On 14/07/2019 at 14:28, Kayakman said:

The structure is old but perfectly square and straight,,,very solid (and yes I was a concrete man for a number of years and know how to use that vibrator while pouring walls).

What you do with a vibrator while pouring walls is your own business.

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

On 14/07/2019 at 17:21, EssexRL said:

Find where I've LAUNCHED any attack on Toronto, I have if you check aired my concerns of other clubs joining so shortly afterwards because our playing pool isn't large enough to bear two or three more clubs at this standard, now address my concern of the cracks (very large cracks) in the concrete.

On 14/07/2019 at 17:21, EssexRL said:

It’s a fair point you Make but I think the response you’ve got is due to the a number of people who can’t do anything but be negative about Toronto (there was yet another post on the Championship thread about the crowd there and atmosphere, for example even though neatly 8k were there) and it gets a bit dull. 

I have been told that completely uncovered stadiums are quite usual in USA & CAN. Seems odd from this side of the pond, as we value having something to keep the rain off of us and at other times shade us from the sun. A buildings biggest enemy is water. With Reinforced Concrete the best thing to do is to keep it dry, put roofs over the stands to keep the water away from the structure. Will last longer.

20 hours ago, Hemel Stag said:

I have been told that completely uncovered stadiums are quite usual in USA & CAN. Seems odd from this side of the pond, as we value having something to keep the rain off of us and at other times shade us from the sun. A buildings biggest enemy is water. With Reinforced Concrete the best thing to do is to keep it dry, put roofs over the stands to keep the water away from the structure. Will last longer.

It's true, many stadiums here are uncovered.  For instance here are the stadiums of the Canadian Football League:

Montreal Alouettes:

spacer.png

Ottawa Redblacks (stadium is future home of Ottawa Rugby League):

spacer.png

Toronto Argonauts:

spacer.png

Hamilton Tiger Cats:

spacer.png

Winnipeg Blue Bombers:

spacer.png

Saskatchewan Roughriders

spacer.png

Calgary Stampeders

spacer.png

Edmonton Eskimos

spacer.png

BC Lions

spacer.png

The BC Lions stadium has a roof that can be opened and closed according to weather.  If and when Ottawa begins play, they will have the best facilities in the RFL.

Would be nice to get Rugby League teams in all of those stadiums.

11 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

It's true, many stadiums here are uncovered.  For instance here are the stadiums of the Canadian Football League:

Montreal Alouettes:

spacer.png

Ottawa Redblacks (stadium is future home of Ottawa Rugby League):

spacer.png

Toronto Argonauts:

spacer.png

Hamilton Tiger Cats:

spacer.png

Winnipeg Blue Bombers:

spacer.png

Saskatchewan Roughriders

spacer.png

Calgary Stampeders

spacer.png

Edmonton Eskimos

spacer.png

BC Lions

spacer.png

The BC Lions stadium has a roof that can be opened and closed according to weather.  If and when Ottawa begins play, they will have the best facilities in the RFL.

I can't say that the stadium that Ottawa RL will play at, the Ottawa Redblacks stadium, looks any better than several Super League grounds. A decent stadium no doubt but hardly anything special.

1 hour ago, Damien said:

I can't say that the stadium that Ottawa RL will play at, the Ottawa Redblacks stadium, looks any better than several Super League grounds. A decent stadium no doubt but hardly anything special.

I think St Helens, Leeds, Catalans and Warrington have real nice stadiums.  Definitely comparable to Ottawa. 

The South Stand is very nice, has a great terrace with concessions and beer.  The Ottawa Stadium is also a bit bigger and is expandable to 40,000.

The real prize with the Ottawa Stadium is all of the stuff around the stadium. There is a craft beer garden right beside the stadium with over 100 beers on tap and there are numerous restaurants on the stadium complex property, all owned by Ottawa Sports & Entertainment Group.

4 hours ago, Damien said:

Ottawa would be the best stadium in SL except for maybe Leeds.

20 hours ago, CanadianRugger said:

BC Lions

spacer.png

Thank you for sharing all those pictures with us. They all look like very nice facilities. I hope they all get their own RL teams too. I have to say the BC Lions is my favourite, and the all weather roof is a massive bonus. I like the oval shape, reminds me of the old Wembley a bit, in this respect. I am looking forward to a Canadian adventure when Ottawa RL get going. ??

On 15/07/2019 at 14:49, CanadianRugger said:

Both Wakefield & Castleford both have concrete plans (excuse the pun) for bright new facilities. The system here for "planning permission" is torturous, and the only way to get a new stadium built is to get buy in from the local authorities, investors and businesses to commit to using the other facilities. It may be overdue from the fans perspective but they really are getting there.

37 minutes ago, Hemel Stag said:

Thank you for sharing all those pictures with us. They all look like very nice facilities. I hope they all get their own RL teams too. I have to say the BC Lions is my favourite, and the all weather roof is a massive bonus. I like the oval shape, reminds me of the old Wembley a bit, in this respect. I am looking forward to a Canadian adventure when Ottawa RL get going. ??

I actually would like Toronto Wolfpack to play a home game there once they make Super League.  I think it would be better than playing a home game in the UK and would help grow the fan base outside of Toronto.  

The top part of the Dome can be closed off for smaller attendances and it looks really good.  The National Rugby Union team has played multiple games there and HSBC Sevens is played there every February.

7fd1bb9d843da64c863623bea9078c0d911f9757_sb1_4123.jpg.2f468ca9f49093a3d6d51e86bb4d19ed.jpg

6 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

I actually would like Toronto Wolfpack to play a home game there once they make Super League.  I think it would be better than playing a home game in the UK and would help grow the fan base outside of Toronto.  

The top part of the Dome can be closed off for smaller attendances and it looks really good.  The National Rugby Union team has played multiple games there and HSBC Sevens is played there every February.

7fd1bb9d843da64c863623bea9078c0d911f9757_sb1_4123.jpg.2f468ca9f49093a3d6d51e86bb4d19ed.jpg

This definitely should be explored. Especially with the strong rugby culture in BC.

32 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

Thats really cool!

Archived