Valentine Holmes back to the NRL?

Update on Valentine Holmes in the NFL

Holmes has a very slim chance of actually making the 53-man roster. He also has been slowed by some tightness in his back that has kept him out of some training camp practices.

There has been speculation in the Australian media that Holmes is just killing time until he can become a rugby league free agent next year, but Holmes says he truly wants to play in the NFL.

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

I think he will give it his best shot and probably have next year ie 2020 as the make or Break... Ie if he Dosent make a roster for 2020 it may be time to head back to the NRL or Watch Rugby Union in Australia come in with a big offer for him. 

7 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

You’re not gunna go through all the bother of getting picked and the potential riches of an NFL contract just to bide your time for an NRL contract. 

He's doing the same as Hayne, in the next couple of months he'll know where he's at. The thing people dont realise is the contract he will be on to start with is around $150k, the big bucks only come if he is successful (i.e becoming a regular starter in the main squad). He will be on close to $1M a year if he comes back to the NRL.

5 hours ago, Balmain1969 said:

He's doing the same as Hayne, in the next couple of months he'll know where he's at. The thing people dont realise is the contract he will be on to start with is around $150k, the big bucks only come if he is successful (i.e becoming a regular starter in the main squad). He will be on close to $1M a year if he comes back to the NRL.

No NRL club will pay that much for a winger.

4 minutes ago, Allora said:

What about a Fullback?

Depends how good the fullback. I can't say I've ever seen Holmes play there to say if he's worth top notch money or not. I've never seen anything to show he has a playmaking or passing game there either so it would be a risky move paying that for him.

16 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

Probably off to French Union or the ARU's replacement for Izzy. 

Australian Union will be lucky to have any money once Folau takes them to the Cleaners.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Depends how good the fullback. I can't say I've ever seen Holmes play there to say if he's worth top notch money or not. I've never seen anything to show he has a playmaking or passing game there either so it would be a risky move paying that for him.

He was played far more as a Fullback than a Wing in his last two seasons at Cronulla.

I would think his dollar value in the NRL was as a Fullback more than a Winger, what position he is selected as for SOO or Test Teams is irrelevant as Australia picks the best competent Athletes for Representative teams as they have done for decades.

cant blame the guy for wanting to try a sport he obviously  in to big time, imagine a lot of rl players would love to be world champion boxers or golfing superstars, from a fans point of view its hard to see such a talent not in the game entertaining us in in his prime, hope hes back soon.

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

2 hours ago, Southerner said:

I’m not an NFL expert but surely he should be making the 53? I wonder how many positions can he cover etc.

He is listed as a running back, wide receiver and kick returner. I suspect the kick return and running back are where he will be most suited. 

As for making the roster. He is part of the international pathway programme for the NFL. Teams are encouraged to take players via this programme and their presence is exempt from the practice squad (I.e. teams get an 11th practice squad member if they have someone from the pathway programme).

At this stage of his development, I don't think Holmes would be anywhere near a roster without the pathway programme.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

He has chanced his arm and good luck to him with that.

The chance of learning the game and the complexity of the plays coming from outside the USA system is a long shot at best.

Hayne was a far more complete player and perhaps a better Athlete and could not make the cut.

Archived