RFL killing the game

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder where the reserves for Salford will be drawn from?

Don't Newcastle Thunder benefit from players from the heartlands attending university in the area and then joining their academy?

Don't Halifax benefit from lads from outside Halifax,many from Wales,attending universities in Yorkshire,and then playing for the Halifax reserves?

Don't they all start with community clubs?

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

2 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Don't Newcastle Thunder benefit from players from the heartlands attending university in the area and then joining their academy?

Don't Halifax benefit from lads from outside Halifax,many from Wales,attending universities in Yorkshire,and then playing for the Halifax reserves?

Don't they all start with community clubs?

We currently have 1 player in our 19’s that’s from the heartlands and is at university 

the links with the university is one of plus sides of us having a reserves 

anyone that would question our application should have a hard look into what we do for the game in the North East 

On 08/08/2019 at 18:41, meast said:

Don't worry, there'll be plenty of players coming through the academy and reserve systems of Toronto, New York, Ottawa, Belgrade, and Bolton-Horwich Bison-hawks soon enough .

In  all seriousness, is it a financial reason? player welfare etc?

the RFL has already said no overseas teams will be allowed into the reserve league it will be a British league only . Catalan who already play both reserve and academy games will I presume keep arranging some friendlies against British teams 

On 08/08/2019 at 22:05, Marauder said:

Don't begrudge anyone a chance, what I'm stating is players who will never make the grade will be kept dangling to fill shirts when needed as for the foundations, who has done the spade work to get the player/players up to that standard ?

My gripe is while the RFL/SL change the systems faster than their nickers they do very little in the general development overall, I agree some of the SL clubs do seem to have a good relationship with certain amateur clubs within their area, on that point RFL service areas used to direct the better players in a service area towards certain amateur clubs, which IMO is all wrong as it has resulted in the reduction in junior teams.

Well, that’s not his explained it to them, but I can’t vouch for any others.  But to repeat, we have to have these players to make meaningful competition.  We also have to factor in physical development and kids choosing other careers.  

Yes, the service area thing only partially worked imo.  But, the demise of kids teams (I can only refer to Humberside) are a blend of many things.

6 minutes ago, paul hicks said:

the RFL has already said no overseas teams will be allowed into the reserve league it will be a British league only . Catalan who already play both reserve and academy games will I presume keep arranging some friendlies against British teams 

Catalans’ reserves will still play in Elite 1, no?

26 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

I was wondering that, considering they don’t even have an academy. This could hurt Salford as they already are under financial constraints for the first team so a reserves will put additional pressure on 

2 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Well, that’s not his explained it to them, but I can’t vouch for any others.  But to repeat, we have to have these players to make meaningful competition.  We also have to factor in physical development and kids choosing other careers.  

Yes, the service area thing only partially worked imo.  But, the demise of kids teams (I can only refer to Humberside) are a blend of many things.

indeed but if I could point to the Leeds area were there's a growing number of youth teams with some vastly over subscribed such as stanningley who can run 2 full teams at some age groups and still have some kids missing out . this of course does mean quite often the overall quality of a team can be a bit lower as kids have more clubs to choose from .

a recent programme by Leeds rhinos in setting up taster sessions for kids has led to another influx of kids at certain clubs and while not all of them will stay a number will . add that to the schools programme they do not only for the rugby but for lifestyle ect has a good effect and each child gets information on a number of subjects as well as the details of the local junior club which has also proved to be a good means of bringing more youngsters into the game. indeed some junior clubs go into the schools to spread the word and offer encouragment

at the 16year group Leeds also back the local colleges ect to bring players into the tier 3 academies with such as Leeds city college and Leeds building college running teams with the backing of the rhinos foundation.

these days the senior clubs in all towns and cities should be focussing on helping the junior game with time, coaches/tutors and money they cant just stand back and wait till a good young player comes through they have to get  kids into the game at an early age and help with the development of them.

3 hours ago, dead man inc said:

Catalan are not in the 2019 Academy league.

1DC7ED62-D568-4F8E-AE16-E66CB3FA9F49.jpeg

no but they played in the 2018 league winning 6 losing 14 and actually finished above Wakefield

the yes they will was of course in response to a question asked if Catalan played in the elite 1 comp in France not as to if they played in the academy .

Reserve Grade, 2020: Bradford Bulls, Castleford Tigers, Halifax, Huddersfield Giants, Hull FC, Hull KR, Leeds Rhinos, London Broncos, Newcastle Thunder, Salford Red Devils, St Helens, Wakefield Trinity, Warrington Wolves, Widnes Vikings, Wigan Warriors.’

It will be interesting to see how/where Salford recruit for an academy from scratch & the two Hull teams increase the numbers on their separate ventures. If Leigh got promoted through the play offs  ... what would happen to the super league mantra about ‘reserves being compulsory’?

2 hours ago, dead man inc said:

Reserve Grade, 2020: Bradford Bulls, Castleford Tigers, Halifax, Huddersfield Giants, Hull FC, Hull KR, Leeds Rhinos, London Broncos, Newcastle Thunder, Salford Red Devils, St Helens, Wakefield Trinity, Warrington Wolves, Widnes Vikings, Wigan Warriors.’

It will be interesting to see how/where Salford recruit for an academy from scratch & the two Hull teams increase the numbers on their separate ventures. If Leigh got promoted through the play offs  ... what would happen to the super league mantra about ‘reserves being compulsory’?

What if they did? I haven’t seen anything this suggest that this is compulsory going forwards, more that it is compulsory to the current Super League sides. 

4 hours ago, dead man inc said:

No Keighley or Whitehaven as expected - but no Featherstone either? 

Interesting that clubs in the Top 5, in with a real shot at being in Super League next season (Featherstone, Leigh, even York and Sheffield) aren't on the list.

If Leigh knock Toronto off their perch in the Play Offs - as some on here seem to be confidently predicting - are they suddenly going to have to put together a Reserve team?

It seems dual reg and loans will continue next season.

No doubt those clubs allowed reserve sides will continue to use dual reg and loan players.

It is possible that a club currently in Super League will be relegated into The Championship,and while in The Championship,allow some of their players to go out on dual reg/loan to other Championship clubs.

Suffice to say...The introduction of one or two extra reserve sides won't prevent the situation that has endured over recent seasons.

It must be what the Super League wants.

If it isn't killing the game it is certainly making it a tad unfair for some clubs.

34 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Interesting that clubs in the Top 5, in with a real shot at being in Super League next season (Featherstone, Leigh, even York and Sheffield) aren't on the list.

Interesting,also,that top of League 1 Whitehaven,not permitted a reserve side,despite doing so well with a side made up,primarily,of local based players - ( perhaps directly from community clubs.) 

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

The cynic in me says that Fev won't need a reserves team instead sending players to play for Leeds reserves in some sort of joint venture?

I seem to remember statement saying DR and Loans will carry on.  Should be ok fir Luke Briscoe to continue to play 2 games a weekend.

8 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I seem to remember statement saying DR and Loans will carry on.  Should be ok fir Luke Briscoe to continue to play 2 games a weekend.

only did that once last year when FEV got two injured and were short of players played second row  in centre in that game since their tom got injured luke not played in last two games for FEV  don't expect to see him again 

Archived