1. 1. Who do you think will go down?

• London
    • Hull kr
    • Huddersfield
    • Wakefield
    • Leeds

2 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

That's condescending.  

The game needs consolidation and there needs then opportunities to those who can expand onto SL.

And having 13 clubs is no problem, the Sydney competition had (I think) 13 teams. The had a bye every round.

True , but you end the Magic weekend 

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

You don't. You'd just need to have 2 of them and an OTR game for the 2 teams that miss each one as the bye.

I suggest an early season Magic at Cardiff, with the bye team being the champions and they can play the WCC as the final game of the weekend; followed by a late summer Magic Weekend.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

18 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

You don't. You'd just need to have 2 of them and an OTR game for the 2 teams that miss each one as the bye.

I suggest an early season Magic at Cardiff, with the bye team being the champions and they can play the WCC as the final game of the weekend; followed by a late summer Magic Weekend.

So those 2 teams play one game less than the rest ? 

No you are correct as there would be an equal number of games , but as I suggested earlier , for one positive , for this one several negatives , yet another loop fixture , most probably diluted attendances at both magics and the Challenge Cup Final 

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

So those 2 teams play one game less than the rest ? 

No you are correct as there would be an equal number of games , but as I suggested earlier , for one positive , for this one several negatives , yet another loop fixture , most probably diluted attendances at both magics and the Challenge Cup Final 

The Challenge Cup Final is moving.

There doesn't necessarily have to be 2 Magic Weekends as they are currently. You'd just need a second similar event (ie on the road). If you make them unique enough, people will go.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

5 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

The Challenge Cup Final is moving.

There doesn't necessarily have to be 2 Magic Weekends as they are currently. You'd just need a second similar event (ie on the road). If you make them unique enough, people will go.

The more events you put on , the less people are going to attend each individual one IMO

1 minute ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

4636 at Huddersfield yesterday, the threat of relegation is not drawing people to games 

But the potential of promotion is drawing people to Lamport , or are they just there on freebies for the beer ?

13 hours ago, paul hicks said:

indeed but then its up to the club to make sure they don't end up going into famine . in Leeds case I don't think the financial disaster would be  as much as for other clubs as the money is there to cover it as we hear another offer of £500.000 plus has been made to hull for Jake Connor which of course would be if they stayed up. so that's half a million quid floating around to start with and a good portion of there income is not rugby related with headingley been open 365 days of the year .

either way if a team is good enough it stays up if not it goes down and if it happens to be Leeds then so be it. wont stop me supporting them.

we are now in an era of business not just been a sports club and should approach things in such a way

I think your correct about Leeds and that is due in part to their high level of success and being a well run club and having the fans coming in droves does depend on that. If you're astute enough you can keep enough in the coffers for a rainy day.

That level of success does mean however unintentionally other clubs don't have that option. It's one of the drawbacks of the P&R system and salary cap arrangements.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

8 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

For generations  there was no relegation in the RL. 

Now you must remember those days of one division 30odd teams, Lancs and Yorks sections, no M62, charabanc trips over the pennines and no other league to be promoted to or relegated from. SO IT WAS IMPROOVED to make the season more meaningful to more clubs, be honest Rupert are you not interested in what is going on at the bottom? Simple answer is yes that is why you are looking and commenting on these threads.

I thought that we didn't have it in us all season, but coming in to 3 games to go and London still have a chance of survival. Before yesterdays games, I thought Wakefield would be the most likely to be down the bottom with us, but after their big win, I feel like it is now down to Huddersfield and London.

Huddersfield run in is a lot tougher, but they have Catalans on the last day of the season.

Should be an interesting finish to the season!

10 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Is there a need for magic?  If you and your mates are desperate for a boozy weekend go to Newcastle anyway on any convenient date.   13 teams would not necessarily be permanent.   If the notion of magic is so desperate then just pull out one weekend from the fixture list.

13 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

You really do spout some garbage, go back and look at the days and times when those games were played compared to what has happened since the linception of the Sky Contract we are presently subject to, Sky in 2015 gave the RL 200M big ones, in return they demanded and expected to air the games  to suit their broadcast schedules, We back then had far more Sunday games which delivered better crowds and non of the attendance avoidance Thursday night games. 

Irrespective, do you honestly envusage tgere woukd have been as much interest this season if we had no relegation?

Which sports have a TV broadcast contract where they get to tell the TV company when and where they will play and expect the cameras to show up and be grateful?

The only one I can think of is Masters golf.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Which sports have a TV broadcast contract where they get to tell the TV company when and where they will play and expect the cameras to show up and be grateful?

The only one I can think of is Masters golf.

Indeed. I'm pretty sure that Monday evening wouldn't be the first choice for Wolves and Man Utd. to play if it weren't for the TV contracts.

Having said that, I still expect a full house at Molineux and the away end to be packed!

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Why does every thread on here turn into something about structures, TV contracts, Robert Elstone etc? 

Can’t we just have a discussion about the fact three teams are on 18pts and two others on 20pts with a matter of weeks left of the season? 

It’s beyond tiresome the make believe nonsense that goes on on here. 

17 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Why does every thread on here turn into something about structures, TV contracts, Robert Elstone etc? 

Can’t we just have a discussion about the fact three teams are on 18pts and two others on 20pts with a matter of weeks left of the season? 

It’s beyond tiresome the make believe nonsense that goes on on here. 

Hey Ollie, it was me I'm the guilty one who brought up the TV contract, but I considered it was relevant in the context of a statement I was answering, it was meant as a stand alone comment not a thread diverter, but that is what happens on forums one comment can and often does take a thread in a whole different direction, someone picks up and answers it then off we go, everyone joins in.

4 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

4636 at Huddersfield yesterday, the threat of relegation is not drawing people to games 

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

The home team was in danger, they were in their relegation battle. Fans didnt turn up.

The simple fact of the matter is, if relegation battles attracted fans then teams in relegation battles would see an up tick in crowds. This is almost universally not true and people turn away from a relegation battle

I assume you can show all non-relegation matches either maintained or increased their crowds.

I'm not voting because it could be anyone out of London, Rovers, Huddersfield or Wakefield. I think Leeds will be OK. Huddersfield have collapsed and have a tough run in, Wakefield play Wigan and Warrington next two games which could leave them having to beat London, London have two huge games against Rovers and Wakefield to finish with and both are away.

Hopefully Rovers have got their bad performance out of their system and we have done better against the teams in the top half then we have against the teams around us so winning at Catalans isn't impossible. London will be a tough game but if Rovers play as well as they can then it should be a win. I have a feeling that the Wakefield v London game will be the decider.

I have spent the last hour looking and re-looking at the remaining fixtures and I am still no closer to predicting who will go down.

Due to for & against, London have to finish two points above somebody to be safe but with their final three games all against teams in the bottom 5 this is starting to look possible.

I have no doubt it will come down to the final round and I agree with some of the posts above that for the integrity of the competition the games that have any influence should all kick off at the same time (in fact, this should be a given for all games in the final round every season).

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Yes, you can compare the averages of seasons where clubs arent in danger of relegation to ones where they are.

It is borne out that almost universally a club 'playing for nothing' in mid table does better than that same club battling relegation. 

That wasn't what he asked , he asked to compare bottom clubs ( let's say bottom 4 ) in the licenced year against bottom in a relegation year ?

13 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Yes, you can compare the averages of seasons where clubs arent in danger of relegation to ones where they are.

It is borne out that almost universally a club 'playing for nothing' in mid table does better than that same club battling relegation. 

Please show, particularly for the current season, even for teams at the "top".

Castleford's gates seem to have gone down this season in part I would think because there not doing quite as well as the last few seasons and this will of course reflect on the away support they take.

the Huddersfield v Leeds game a couple of weeks ago on a Friday night  attracted 6,800 with a very good Leeds following that was estimated at close on 2,000 with Leeds doing a special offer on tickets by giving 25% of the ticket price back in credits that could be spent on future tickets at headingley 

Archived