New York/Ottawa Rugby League - signs of activity

Although many are excited by the bids from New York and Ottawa, signs of activity are few and far between. That is not to say that progress isn't being made.

I see the New York bid are launching a clothing range in November, in collaboration with Ellis Rugby. The link here includes a 1 minute video.

Does anyone have any new titbits from pending bids? Perhaps they could post them here.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Manxmanc said:

Although many are excited by the bids from New York and Ottawa, signs of activity are few and far between. That is not to say that progress isn't being made.

I see the New York bid are launching a clothing range in November, in collaboration with Ellis Rugby. The link here includes a 1 minute video.

Does anyone have any new titbits from pending bids? Perhaps they could post them here.

I know Ellis was a good Salford Lad but I don't see this as positive, productive or reassuring.

25 minutes ago, Scubby said:

No frothing without any souvenir mugs ? 

Funny you should say that .....

image.png.f4467c73f968357e63c6517c8be71bda.png

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Or for the most discerning of our Conneseurs

image.png.5ff288e6276726c8cf0d63443d95ae56.png

Our Mugs come in both right handed and left handed models ! We are an inclusive product maker.

32 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I know Ellis was a good Salford Lad but I don't see this as positive, productive or reassuring.

Funny you should say that .....

image.png.f4467c73f968357e63c6517c8be71bda.png

I felt the same way, warily noting the Ellis connection, but I was then more heartened to come across the retro RL jerseys - the Mal Reilly 1970 GB shirt, Billy Boston 1962 GB shirt etc....so all is not lost.

15 minutes ago, Manxmanc said:

I felt the same way, warily noting the Ellis connection, but I was then more heartened to come across the retro RL jerseys - the Mal Reilly 1970 GB shirt, Billy Boston 1962 GB shirt etc....so all is not lost.

Do you have a link, please?

10 minutes ago, Themusician_2 said:

NY will be a disaster due to location. And the stadium being too big.

Why are Rugby League fans so miserable all the time...?

Lots of practice and rehearsals!

10 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Why are Rugby League fans so miserable all the time...?

Lots of practice and rehearsals!

I'm not being miserable I'm just stating facts how many new yorkers will go all the way to new jersey for a sport they know nothing about in a 25k seater which even a RL heartland will struggle to get it even a quarter full. 

19 minutes ago, Themusician_2 said:

I'm not being miserable I'm just stating facts how many new yorkers will go all the way to new jersey for a sport they know nothing about in a 25k seater which even a RL heartland will struggle to get it even a quarter full. 

Why does everyone go on about people going all the way to New Jersey? Surely there’s enough people in New Jersey that might be interested? It makes it sound like New Jersey is deserted !!

12 minutes ago, burnleywelsh said:

Why does everyone go on about people going all the way to New Jersey? Surely there’s enough people in New Jersey that might be interested? It makes it sound like New Jersey is deserted !!

It's a classic big city situation.  Traffic moves from the suburbs into the big city for work, entertainment, sports events etc. and rarely in the opposite direction.  As a result the entertainment and sports events are usually concentrated in the big city.

The Giants and Jets can draw New Yorkers to New Jersey because they're long-established New York teams which began in New York and played there for decades before they moved their home matches to New Jersey.  The Red Bulls struggle to fill their stadium because they lack that history and tradition in the region.

3 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

It's a classic big city situation.  Traffic moves from the suburbs into the big city for work, entertainment, sports events etc. and rarely in the opposite direction.  As a result the entertainment and sports events are usually concentrated in the big city.

The Giants and Jets can draw New Yorkers to New Jersey because they're long-established New York teams which began in New York and played there for decades before they moved their home matches to New Jersey.  The Red Bulls struggle to fill their stadium because they lack that history and tradition in the region.

I get that. But surely there are enough people in New Jersey to market to to get a decent following by RL standards ?

1 minute ago, Big Picture said:

Also the red bull are a very successful team and they still struggled. Even Thierry Henry couldn't bring the big crowds. And he's one of the best players Arsenal ever had.

Archived