Jump to content
Man of Kent

Single Easter round

Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Losing the Magic Weekend would be a big blow to the game and would be losing a decent percentage of lives games shown on Sky. 

Do you mean losing a half empty stadium and an extra game on the clubs fixture lists which necessitates a third game against the same team for our bored followers to be lumbered with.?

Edited by alan30058
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, alan30058 said:

Do you mean losing a half empty stadium and an extra game on the clubs fixture lists which necessitates a third game against the same team for our bored followers to be lumbered with.?

In that case, shall we bin Salford, Huddersfield, London etc whose grounds are half full then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the Challenge Cup final thread there was a general consensus that we need more events in our sport.  The Magic weekend is one of those events.  The Challenge Cup Final, the Grand Final and Magic are the three events we have at the top domestic level of our sport... why remove a third of these events.

Every year at Magic round the sport gets more media coverage than it does for the regular rounds and while the stadium may be half empty, it is always a large stadium with a high profile and 25k to 40k are there to watch Rugby League every day.

If Magic necessitates a 3rd game between teams, don't remove magic, remove one of the other games.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

 

If Magic necessitates a 3rd game between teams, don't remove magic, remove one of the other games.

Now that's a sensible idea.

Perhaps to sensible and obvious for the powers that be ?

Edited by alan30058

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dunbar said:

In the Challenge Cup final thread there was a general consensus that we need more events in our sport.  The Magic weekend is one of those events.  The Challenge Cup Final, the Grand Final and Magic are the three events we have at the top domestic level of our sport... why remove a third of these events.

Every year at Magic round the sport gets more media coverage than it does for the regular rounds and while the stadium may be half empty, it is always a large stadium with a high profile and 25k to 40k are there to watch Rugby League every day.

If Magic necessitates a 3rd game between teams, don't remove magic, remove one of the other games.

If it's razatazz then do the matches on a draw basis and give it a build up the week before by doing the draw on Friday night! Everyone is saying it's a great weekend, let people make sure they are there from the off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Great news,the Easter Monday games are awful to watch,usually with knackered players just trying to survive the 80 mins and grind out a result,these fixtures do nothing for the game and even less for the players.

Not wanting to split hairs, but I find the Monday games are usually fine.

It's the following weekend that's a washout in my opinion.

  • Like 1

People called Romans they go the house

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like it will be an extra week on the season ... I’m guessing not much chance of an international window being put in place next year.


Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

Sounds like it will be an extra week on the season ... I’m guessing not much chance of an international window being put in place next year.

I imagined this would be the case. Our season started in deepest January this year and ends in early October, it’s a hell of a long year without extensions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Dunbar said:

In the Challenge Cup final thread there was a general consensus that we need more events in our sport.  The Magic weekend is one of those events.  The Challenge Cup Final, the Grand Final and Magic are the three events we have at the top domestic level of our sport... why remove a third of these events.

Every year at Magic round the sport gets more media coverage than it does for the regular rounds and while the stadium may be half empty, it is always a large stadium with a high profile and 25k to 40k are there to watch Rugby League every day.

If Magic necessitates a 3rd game between teams, don't remove magic, remove one of the other games.

That would leave an uneven amount of home and away fixtures. 

The alternative solution is create another event/s. 

Either 2 magics or magic and an On the Road game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 games across 5 days makes sense.

Thursday night wakefield v Cas, good friday hull derby and wigan v saints. Saturday night Les Catalans v London, Sunday Hudds v Salford, bank holiday monday Leeds v Wire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Red Willow said:

is it not more a case of preparing for Toronto to come in? can't expect a team to fly there and play on the Monday or for Toronto to play in UK then fly to Canada.

Can’t see that being the reason as the easy solution to that is Toronto play two away games that weekend. I think this has been coming from coaches and players for a few years now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

That would leave an uneven amount of home and away fixtures. 

The alternative solution is create another event/s. 

Either 2 magics or magic and an On the Road game.

The alternative is to add two teams so we can lose the repeat fixtures. That way MW wouldn’t feel like just another repeat fixture. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

The alternative is to add two teams so we can lose the repeat fixtures. That way MW wouldn’t feel like just another repeat fixture. 

That may be the solution, we will still need to even out the home and away fixtures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Red Willow said:

is it not more a case of preparing for Toronto to come in? can't expect a team to fly there and play on the Monday or for Toronto to play in UK then fly to Canada.

Champ and champ1 club's  part time had to endure it.Perhaps super league chairman dont fancy the prospect of, ie wigan/saints Friday then Toronto Monday! !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HAVERCROFT10 said:

Champ and champ1 club's  part time had to endure it.Perhaps super league chairman dont fancy the prospect of, ie wigan/saints Friday then Toronto Monday! !

Did that happen in the championship weren’t Toronto away both games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I imagined this would be the case. Our season started in deepest January this year and ends in early October, it’s a hell of a long year without extensions. 

The SL season started with one game on 31st Jan, the rest across the first 3 days of Feb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

So, the season started in January then. 

Is 7.45pm on the last day of Jan classed as 'deepest January' where you come from?

Looks like the shallowest Jan possible to me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Is 7.45pm on the last day of Jan classed as 'deepest January' where you come from?

Looks like the shallowest Jan possible to me.

Considering it was the 31st January at 7.45pm, you can’t get much more deeper into January without it then being February. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bobbruce said:

So we’d have two find two more weekends. 

Clubs could just play each other home and away - make it nice a simple. 

  • Like 1

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Chris Taylor said:

Clubs could just play each other home and away - make it nice a simple. 

MW came in when clubs wanted 14 home games to make ends meet. When it came in it made it possible for clubs to drop a home game reducing the season to 27 games. So unless that’s changed then dropping MW will result in an extra game rather than a reduction. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Dave T said:

Is 7.45pm on the last day of Jan classed as 'deepest January' where you come from?

Looks like the shallowest Jan possible to me.

 

8 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Considering it was the 31st January at 7.45pm, you can’t get much more deeper into January without it then being February. 

I think you guys need to agree from which direction you are measuring depth.

Unless you are looking at it from both ends in which case the deepest point is probably around lunchtime on the 15th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

 

I think you guys need to agree from which direction you are measuring depth.

Unless you are looking at it from both ends in which case the deepest point is probably around lunchtime on the 15th.

Your date would be good. If something was described as in deepest winter, it wouldn't be happening 4 hours before spring.

Maybe he meant to say late-Jan, but the context certainly didnt suggest that.

 

Edited by Dave T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/08/2019 at 22:27, Man of Kent said:

No Easter double-header in Super League next year according to the publisher of this website’s weekly organ.

Common sense prevails. Or is it the portent of another restructuring?

Knew it had been out before 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...