1 Sept: SL: Wakefield Trinity v Wigan Warriors KO 3pm

Who will win?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wakefield Trinity
    • Wigan Warriors

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/09/19 at 14:00

2 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Only second Griff...who's top?

(Wanders off, whistling innocently...)

Given that there was a lot of empty space whistling inbetween the ears of a number of Wigan players at the start of the season, getting second at the moment is remarkable.

Let's be honest, a lot of teams have, at various times this year, gone walkabout!  And some of them (no names no packdrill) are still lost in the outback.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Dirty Wigan?  I listened to the radio commentary and didn't pick that up. What did they do?

Tongue in cheek. Didn't have patience to find the winky smiley on mi phone.   Soz. 

Tupou was injured making a flying tackle (arm?)  Annakin drove the ball hard into three defenders and ended up in a crumpled heap requiring stretcher.

I will ensure I have the cheat smiley available once I've seen a replay of that Marshall quick tap. ?

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

5 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

Surely Chester should be more worried about how easily Marshall got through the Wakefield defence, and then ran 80 metres to score?

What when he got a jump start on everyone by taking it from the wrong place and everyone expecting him to be brought back? 

That’s like passing the ball ten yards and scoring then saying the opposition should have defended that...

f3gms4.jpg

9 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

Surely Chester should be more worried about how easily Marshall got through the Wakefield defence, and then ran 80 metres to score?

Confirms you weren't there then Cheers.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Wakefield moan when they beat us, so were bound to fixate on something to moan about in defeat. Our games are the only time I pay much attention to them, so hard to say whether it is just us that brings out the worst in them. Perhaps they are like this every week. 

59 minutes ago, weloveyouwakefield2 said:

From the video. The line where he should tap the ball is about ten yards to the right of where he did...FD5D5913-503E-4FAC-BB97-C390604B9F9E.thumb.png.84caa20cd1e478335d12613a24687a09.png

If you think that’s 10 yards it’s no wonder Wakefield fans always think the opposition is offside!

Costly silly errors hitting us hard. Wigan made errors but we didn’t do enough with them. I thought we did well overall though, obviously not world beaters and Wigan looked off, but were in it until the very end. 

I wouldn’t blame the ref but I’ve said on here before when I’ve seen Mikalauskas live...he makes me question my understanding of the rules; his decisions are often baffling on both sides. Maybe I need to see a replay. 

14 minutes ago, Curly perm said:

Costly silly errors hitting us hard. Wigan made errors but we didn’t do enough with them. I thought we did well overall though, obviously not world beaters and Wigan looked off, but were in it until the very end. 

I wouldn’t blame the ref but I’ve said on here before when I’ve seen Mikalauskas live...he makes me question my understanding of the rules; his decisions are often baffling on both sides. Maybe I need to see a replay. 

Your safe for this season so just relax

2 hours ago, weloveyouwakefield2 said:

What when he got a jump start on everyone by taking it from the wrong place and everyone expecting him to be brought back? 

That’s like passing the ball ten yards and scoring then saying the opposition should have defended that...

Nonsense.

All it proves is that somewhere there is a massive gap in the Wakefield defence, and all the opposition has to do is find it.

37 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

Nonsense.

All it proves is that somewhere there is a massive gap in the Wakefield defence, and all the opposition has to do is find it.

Of course there was a massive gap as Marshall was effectively several metres off the mark.  The advantage of a well taken quick tap is that there are likely to be fewer than 13 players in the defensive line.  When those defenders that are present are defending the correct mark and the attacker simply chooses to run from elsewhere it's unsurprising that it's so much easier to find a gap.  This try had much more to do with poor refereeing than poor defending.  

I appreciate that rugby league is a very difficult game to referee and generally have sympathy.  For example, Wigan's first try (blatant knock on) and last try (probable obstruction, possible double movement) looked dodgy and I gather two of Wakefield's may have been worth a look had a video ref been present, but these are the sort of decisions that I can accept from an inexperienced ref. (That's not a dig by the way as I realise you only gain experience by being allowed to make mistakes).  But there is nothing in the slightest bit tricky about observing a tap restart and I'm struggling to understand how play was allowed to continue.

I'm not blaming the ref, but....

...really I am blaming the ref.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

15 minutes ago, north yorks trinity said:

Of course there was a massive gap as Marshall was effectively several metres off the mark.  The advantage of a well taken quick tap is that there are likely to be fewer than 13 players in the defensive line.  When those defenders that are present are defending the correct mark and the attacker simply chooses to run from elsewhere it's unsurprising that it's so much easier to find a gap.  This try had much more to do with poor refereeing than poor defending.  

I appreciate that rugby league is a very difficult game to referee and generally have sympathy.  For example, Wigan's first try (blatant knock on) and last try (probable obstruction, possible double movement) looked dodgy and I gather two of Wakefield's may have been worth a look had a video ref been present, but these are the sort of decisions that I can accept from an inexperienced ref. (That's not a dig by the way as I realise you only gain experience by being allowed to make mistakes).  But there is nothing in the slightest bit tricky about observing a tap restart and I'm struggling to understand how play was allowed to continue.

I was actually at the game, and I have since watched it on Wigan TV when I got home.

From the moment Marshall collects the ball, you can hear the referee shouting, "OK, we're OK, OK, go" 

Wakefield's players were so busy pointing at the centre of the 20 metre line that they forgot to play to the whistle.

Not Marshall's fault.

1 minute ago, Jim Prendle said:

I was actually at the game, and I have since watched it on Wigan TV when I got home.

From the moment Marshall collects the ball, you can hear the referee shouting, "OK, we're OK, OK, go" 

Wakefield's players were so busy pointing at the centre of the 20 metre line that they forgot to play to the whistle.

Not Marshall's fault.

Nobody’s blamed Marshall. He tried it on & the ref let him get away with it. With respect to the game, I thought Trinity had a good dig & if we’d put that much effort into certain previous games we’d have a few more points on the board! 

18 minutes ago, Padge said:

I'm not blaming the ref, but....

...really I am blaming the ref.

I'm not sure if that was aimed at me but I never said I wasn't blaming the ref. Of course I am.  Arguably the most crucial try (the one that put Wigan 18-12 up) came as a direct result of an absolute schoolboy howler from the ref. 

Obviously I realise that a Wakefield victory would  not necessarily have followed had that try been disallowed.  Obviously I realise that better play by Wakefield would have helped. Obviously (at least I hope it's obvious to all) I realise that refereeing isn't easy. However due to the nature of the mistake, let me be quite clear....

I AM BLAMING THE REF, not necessarily for the result but certainly for tipping the balance massively in Wigan's favour.

My god Wakefielders moan. Having only seen the brief Wigan tv highlights, the doubtful tries looked to be the ones we conceded, and would not have seen anything wrong with where Marshall took the tap from, as it looked pretty central in the video (and does even on the grassy knoll picture above). 

Archived