Reports suggest Toronto Wolfpack not guaranteed SL place

The Daddy

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Let’s be honest, Sky isn’t likely to be sending equipment on a 7000 mile round trip to Toronto every other week.

They’ll take a feed from another broadcaster. Speaking of which, any news on a TV deal?

Why are you so worried about what SKY will/won't do before Toronto are even promoted? You're bothered about a few lines on a pitch instead of actually watching the action, you need to get a grip! 

5 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

No , but the houses they live in are 

I wish I was young enough and good enough and too play top level rugby in Toronto it would be brilliant and I wouldn't care were my bed was.

But some will always find something to be negative its what is in the DNA of rugby league people. 

Just now, ELBOWSEYE said:

I wish I was young enough and good enough and too play top level rugby in Toronto it would be brilliant and I wouldn't care were my bed was.

But some will always find something to be negative its what is in the DNA of rugby league people. 

Where am I being negative ? , I'm just pointing out how it is 

Quite significant no comment from SL on this story. Other sports would get a press release out forthwith. As it is RL seems to function on rumours and hearsay, not just on this, but pretty much everything. We, the punters, have no idea whether this story is

1) Completely made up.

2) Has some basis, but overstated.

3) Entirely true.

As a result, people make up their minds based on their own preset ideas. And blame TWP/SL. Take your pick.

1 minute ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Indeed and I'm certain that many players will find it equally attractive, particularly those from the Southern Hemisphere.

12 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Surely Lamport is council owned , how likely are they to spend on the venue ?

Depends how much they want to. MLSE spent like $100 million on BMO Field which is also city owned. If TWP thinks it'll payoff then they might. 

Just now, GUBRATS said:

Surely Lamport is council owned , how likely are they to spend on the venue ?

You're correct about Lamport. The city is not likely to put up loads of cash.

But there is a model in BMO Field, which is where Toronto FC and Toronto Argonauts (CFL) play. BMO Field was built in 2007 as a soccer-specific stadium with a mix of government money and support from Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, so it is owned by the city but managed by MLSE.

Since it opened, BMO Field has had a series of major renovations, increasing the seating, adding canopies, and changing the field to make it suitable for Canadian football. Temporary seating is added for major events. The city must approve all changes, but MLSE pays the bulk of costs of renovations and upgrades. They pay rent to the city, but keep any profits (or absorb any losses) from running the stadium.

Lamport is an older stadium, but it could be expanded and improved, as long as the city can continue to offer it as a community facility. The big question is where the money would come from. We're thinking that's why Wolfpack have joined forces with Bob Hunter, given his experience at negotiating these things.

3 minutes ago, Loup said:

You're correct about Lamport. The city is not likely to put up loads of cash.

But there is a model in BMO Field, which is where Toronto FC and Toronto Argonauts (CFL) play. BMO Field was built in 2007 as a soccer-specific stadium with a mix of government money and support from Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, so it is owned by the city but managed by MLSE.

Since it opened, BMO Field has had a series of major renovations, increasing the seating, adding canopies, and changing the field to make it suitable for Canadian football. Temporary seating is added for major events. The city must approve all changes, but MLSE pays the bulk of costs of renovations and upgrades. They pay rent to the city, but keep any profits (or absorb any losses) from running the stadium.

Lamport is an older stadium, but it could be expanded and improved, as long as the city can continue to offer it as a community facility. The big question is where the money would come from. We're thinking that's why Wolfpack have joined forces with Bob Hunter, given his experience at negotiating these things.

So as I said , loads of experience with stadium development , but little with running the day to day and development of a club 

I'm sure he's a very clever bloke 

Should they be victorious in the Championship Final, after working up from the very bottom of the system, pushing on through League 1 & the Championship they absolutely 100% have earned the right to promotion into Super League. 

The flip side of that is they need to provide proof they can complete the fixture List for an indefinite number of seasons in the top flight and not cause utter chaos to any given SL season as well as humiliate the sport by dropping out. 

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

To be quite honest, given the choice of an Anglo-Australian team in a Canadian jersey versus a French-Australian team in a French jersey, I’d take the latter. 

As a Sky punter, I’d be happier with weekly French games on a Saturday evening at dedicated rugby venues than the Lamport linefest. I believe Toronto games are a poor product from a visual perspective.

How would you know,your usually too busy counting the crowd.

48 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

They in the top league will attract top players from down under more than most SL clubs, that will improve the spectacle on show which will more likely to attract new viewers for sky.

I guess if opened up the salary cap some other clubs could attract better talent and keep our locally produced top talent longer - hence also doing what you say would be the outcome.

I'd like Toronto to succeed but strategically I'm not sure where SL is going. Toronto is an ad-hoc tactical happening as distinct from a grand strategic plan for SL/RL sport here. Somebody has to figure out the strategy.  

i.e. Is a Cross Atlantic league the goal and if so whats the opportunity  and whats the consequences as the journey is made. 

It just seems daft to me that worthy as Toronto may be in joining the RL competition over here that it hasn't fully been thought through and hence the direction of the sport. 

59 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Why do they need to expand Lamport at this point? If they go up and average even 9,000 it will be the 6th highest attendances in the league. 

They will need much higher than average crowds to make a financial go of it in the long term.  Plus, in Toronto, 9000 a game is considered small.  I have no doubt that if they go to SL within one or two years they could draw regular 15 000 easy...I don't think , even with a full physical expansion, Lamport could ever hold more than that.

4 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

They will need much higher than average crowds to make a financial go of it in the long term.  Plus, in Toronto, 9000 a game is considered small.  I have no doubt that if they go to SL within one or two years they could draw regular 15 000 easy...I don't think , even with a full physical expansion, Lamport could ever hold more than that.

I don't see the Toronto council spending millions developing Lamport given the relatively short history of TWP , so if it wasn't big enough , just where else could they play ?

14 minutes ago, redjonn said:

I'd like Toronto to succeed but strategically I'm not sure where SL is going. Toronto is an ad-hoc tactical happening as distinct from a grand strategic plan for SL/RL sport here. Somebody has to figure out the strategy.  

Good thinking and a truth in that.

I really don't think many ever gave Toronto a real chance at inception.  Now this meteoric rise.

Is Toronto a one off?...some ask, "Can Toronto survive long term and not be a flash in the pan?"

Toronto has turned out to be a full winner....its here to stay now in the local market...the move to SL will solidify this and RL will go big time in Toronto with basketball and hockey.

If I am a jockey and I've got a mudder for a race on a clear track I'm in for a long night.  But if that Baby Blue can start strong and a snap thunderstorm hits the track you could find yourself in first, heading for the finish line.  FROM LAST TO FIRST!  Riding a probable big winner.

I say put the whip to Toronto...,put the whip to that Philly!  Make the line!

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I don't see the Toronto council spending millions developing Lamport given the relatively short history of TWP , so if it wasn't big enough , just where else could they play ?

No Gubrats you are incorrect in this.  With the current mayor and our new man over here, a deal is easily made.  As stated earlier, BMO Field is the prototype model.

People support the idea of development  partnerships between the public and private sectors...it is encouraged in the circles of stadium development all over North America...it is the way things are done here.

The deal would be easily made....would also be politically popular.

1 minute ago, Kayakman said:

No Gubrats you are incorrect in this.  With the current mayor and our new man over here, a deal is easily made.  As stated earlier, BMO Field is the prototype model.

People support the idea of development  partnerships between the public and private sectors...it is encouraged in the circles of stadium development all over North America...it is the way things are done here.

The deal would be easily made....would also be politically popular.

So you are saying a Lamport expansion could be sorted and completed in a year or two ?

14 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

For you Gubrats!..hot off the presses from Toronto and just posted.  What do you think now?

18 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Be assured that just about all possibilities have been raised, floated, chewed over, discussed, and pondered upon. For now, there really isn't a good answer. But ask again when we've made Superleague, built more clout, and got more of a track record.

Lamport is right in the middle of a vibrant neighbourhood with great access by public transport and great pubs nearby. Alternative possible locations are like Goldilocks' porridge - too big, too small, too far away, too unavailable. It makes no sense to move the Wolfpack to the back of beyond because part of the attraction for the new fanbase is being close to the action downtown.

4 minutes ago, Loup said:

Be assured that just about all possibilities have been raised, floated, chewed over, discussed, and pondered upon. For now, there really isn't a good answer. But ask again when we've made Superleague, built more clout, and got more of a track record.

Lamport is right in the middle of a vibrant neighbourhood with great access by public transport and great pubs nearby. Alternative possible locations are like Goldilocks' porridge - too big, too small, too far away, too unavailable. It makes no sense to move the Wolfpack to the back of beyond because part of the attraction for the new fanbase is being close to the action downtown.

So it'll do for the foreseeable future , that's what I thought 

Archived