John Drake

Sat 5 Oct: Championship - Play-off Final: Toronto Wolfpack v Featherstone Rovers KO 7.30pm (TV)

Who will win?  

108 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will win?

• Toronto Wolfpack
    • Featherstone Rovers

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/10/19 at 18:30

2 hours ago, Davo5 said:

But they don't presently need a squad that can compete at Superleague level,they only need a team to get out of the Championship,same as they only needed a team good enough to get out of League 1 which they accomplished and afterwards changed the playing personnel to reflect the higher level they were to play in.

Dav, that is stating the obvious, no news in that, OK I will put it another way how many new player's in your opinion do you consider the TWP need to compete at SL level-------- should they get there. 

4 hours ago, Private Baldrick said:

I have asked this before and no one was able to give me an answer.

What is this mystical thing that clubs need to 'bring'?

What things does a club need to do/be to 'add value' to super league?

What in your opinion can a club do to 'enhance' super league?

I can only speak for myself. For me, the ability to sign quality players and improve the standard of Super League both on and off the field. the ability to open up the game to new markets both to new fans, new sponsors and the possibility to get better or. new TV Contracts for SL as a whole. Any Club looking to get in to SL should have things like a Club Shop thats open every working day, A Fulltime Squad including backroom staff, A Fulltime Marketing team that works to promote the Club both locally and further. The ability to improve themselves and in turn the SL Comp each year. I feel Toronto can do most of that, while sadly Fev and most of the lower League teams are not currently in that position.

SL sadly is a poor standard competition, both on and off the field. We have Clubs playing at Stadiums not fit for modern day sport. We have Clubs that simply struggle to put a first team squad together, let alone run Reserve and Academy Grade teams. We have Clubs that are poor businesses, that struggle along and not really helping to improve the SL Comp on or off the field.

SL and the Clubs needs to improve in so many areas if it wants to to get better Sponsors and TV Contracts etc. I dont think SL can afford to have Clubs that have a no money and would struggle to be FT. SL cant afford to have Clubs that have no desire to stay in SL and challenge the others both on and off the field.

I would love my club and others to be in a position to add/improve/enhance SL. But sadly thats not the case. The game is always more important than any one Club, Competition etc. I want whats best for the game, over any Clubs. Its good my NRL Club, Melbourne are not in the Grand Final. Why? Because it turns people away seeing the same old clubs at the top. I hope and believe Toronto can be SL Champions in the next 10 years and that they can improve the game in Europe as well as open up doors in North America.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Dav, that is stating the obvious, no news in that, OK I will put it another way how many new player's in your opinion do you consider the TWP need to compete at SL level-------- should they get there. 

If this seasons bottom 4 clubs are of the same quality next year,probably not many.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MADREDNIGE said:

If so then what on earth are we running a Championship for? And when if ever will a team be ready to go up to SL? 

Why cant the Championship be a quality Comp in its own right which can help teams prepare for SL both on and off the field properly? Its up to Clubs to decide if they want to push themselves for SL. If not, then they can still aim for a Grand Final etc. Why should the game want to promote a club in to its flagship comp, that would struggle on and off the field to make much impact?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Just catching up on this thread, you have just confirmed what I said on another thread later in the week, you really are deluded.

???? = TWP,

?? not one of these in sight at the club, no players, no coaches not even the owner, although there may be one or two of the bartenders in the tented village though.?

And yet, 9000 ?? fans all spending their lovely ?? dollars on tickets, merch and beer! Also ?? print, radio and tv covering rugby league across the entire country of ??! Nope, not one ?? in sight!

Edited by Loup
  • Like 13

2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

This is what Toronto Wolfpack bring to the table. With the exception of The Wolfpack, Championship games aren’t even broadcast in the UK, never mind Africa. 

But, "no away fans" spending their money in the other teams' stadiums every season so it's no good according to the critics.

16 minutes ago, Loup said:

And yet, 9000 ?? fans all spending their lovely ?? dollars on tickets, merch and beer! Also ?? print, radio and tv covering rugby league across the entire country of ??! Nope, not one ?? in sight!

And a ?? CEO, don't forget him.

• Like 1

Pre-empting the inevitable negative comments about the lack of crowd noise:

Lamport Stadium is situated with a major traffic street running along the north side and a city airport not far away to the south. The broadcast sound is set so that the commentators aren't drowned out by traffic, car horns (Toronto drivers are among the world's most horn-heavy), and charming little Q400s taking off and landing every few minutes. Keeping ambient noise down means the crowd noise is also muted. Plus we don't have stadium walls to bounce back the crowd acoustics.

With any luck (and if someone drops the cash), you may be treated to the roar of four Packard Merlin engines if C-VRA (Vera) the Lancaster Bomber is out for a toddle.

Now, off to the match.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

USA, Canada, UK, France, Mongolia, India, Bay of Bengal, Australia & New Zealand, Yup, World Wide

Just like the FIFA World Cup then, or even the Rufuwocu

Sex and Money are like Oxygen

They're not important until you're not getting enough.

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

You're missing the grey bits then

Touchy today are we 

People everywhere in the world will be able to watch the match today.

If it's not broadcast on traditional tv, in your region it will be broadcast on Facebook live.

That's everywhere in the grey on the picture.

Enjoy the match

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Loup said:

We regularly get Canadians doing a year or two at our workplace (secondments and agencies -, maybe 15 in the last year). I always ask if they know the TW. The ones from Toronto ALWAYS have heard / seen them. About a third of the none Toronto Canadians have too.....

They definitely have a presecence. They also have masters RL for the new fans to give the game a go.... This is more important than most people realise. If you are in your 30s/40s and new to watching a sport then being able to give the game a go yourself makes people more passionate / understanding / more likely to stick with it

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

Why cant the Championship be a quality Comp in its own right which can help teams prepare for SL both on and off the field properly? Its up to Clubs to decide if they want to push themselves for SL. If not, then they can still aim for a Grand Final etc. Why should the game want to promote a club in to its flagship comp, that would struggle on and off the field to make much impact?

Well the people in charge at Fev seem to think we are ready for SL ( IF we win and its a BIG if) so surely they know better then you? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Damien said:

Celtic Crusaders did a lot of great work and the legacy is still seen today with the Ben Flowers of this world. The trouble was when Samuels got bored and the money stopped.

It wasn't just Mr Samuels getting bored , the Crusaders were being financed through sport England funding channelled through the RFL and then onto Welsh RL and finally to Crusaders , all the players were being paid as development officers , once we lost the sport England funding so did the Crusaders 

5 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

Fair enough, but that's what can potentially happen when a Club relies on one man.

They didn't , they relied on Sport England funding 

5 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

Fair enough, but that's what can potentially happen when a Club relies on one man.

Yeah, it's a good job no existing Lancashire/Yorkshire teams are in that situation eh.... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Loup said:

No need to be pedantic Loup I was only telling the truth, two can play at that game.

No ?? owner, No ?? or ?? player's = Nothing for ?? TV to film, speak about or put in print, no Canadian ?? dollars for ?? to spend their money on, 9,000 empty seats with not one ?? bum sat on them, Nope not one ?? in sight.

2 hours ago, Davo5 said:

If this seasons bottom 4 clubs are of the same quality next year,probably not many.

Well FWIW, I consider this present Toronto squad would finish bottom of those 4 just as London have done this season, bet ya McDermott will not risk just replacing Simms, especially with someone of the same quality now, the Ashton Simms of 5 to 8 years ago was good, this model is not fit for purpose.

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Well FWIW, I consider this present Toronto squad would finish bottom of those 4 just as London have done this season, bet ya McDermott will not risk just replacing Simms, especially with someone of the same quality now, the Ashton Simms of 5 to 8 years ago was good, this model is not fit for purpose.

Salford were in the bottom 4 in July this year.

2 hours ago, Big Picture said:

But, "no away fans" spending their money in the other teams' stadiums every season so it's no good according to the critics.

Nor adding to the atmosphere, but apparently you Canadians don't know what that is, you have never experienced it, you don't know what you are missing.!

1 hour ago, dkw said:

Yeah, it's a good job no existing Lancashire/Yorkshire teams are in that situation eh.... 

You missed out Cumbrian dk, why would that be? Oh yeah, nobody sees it as worthwhile.

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

You missed out Cumbrian dk, why would that be? Oh yeah, nobody sees it as worthwhile.

There's no Cumbrian teams in super league. 

8 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

As I've stated this TWP squad wasn't put together to compete in Superleague this year so it  matters little if people think they would have finished bottom,if they win tonight they will strengthen it in the hope of being competative in  Superleague next year.