Toronto hate

3 hours ago, Copa said:

That’d be interesting as there won’t be enough room in the stadium if that many want to travel to Toronto.

Air Transat's fleet consists of the Airbus series, topping out at around 330 passengers per flight.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Canis Lupus said:

Just such a huge jump going up to BMO . It would kill the atmosphere .

Despite the best intentions of fans who've never set foot in Toronto, Wolfpack club and fans would not support the move to BMO Field. Argos fans can't even fill half of BMO and the atmosphere is dead. Also the beer service is contracted out, mostly Budweiser. The only half decent beer is Mill Street Organic and the prices are sky high.

BMO Field is able to add temporary seating in the form of metal bleachers for events like the Grey Cup, something similar could be added at the south end of Lamport along with an improved VIP area and without encroaching on the ground level car park.

22 minutes ago, Loup said:

Air Transat's fleet consists of the Airbus series, topping out at around 330 passengers per flight.

With other airlines flight capacity won’t be an issue. Stadium capacity could be the problem but having sellouts isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

20 minutes ago, Copa said:

With other airlines flight capacity won’t be an issue. Stadium capacity could be the problem but having sellouts isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

It will probably be the hottest ticket in the city next summer (certainly the potential for that is there)...I would I advise anyone thinking of coming over to purchase their ticket(s) as soon as possible.

3 hours ago, Canis Lupus said:

The easiest way is to add seating at the scoreboard end of the ground . Also to work with the city on the numbers allowed in with fire regs. Those you see on matchdays in the VIP and beer garden are in the 9600 capacity . The east and west stands can hold the 9600. there is scope to increase capacity without the adding of extra seats . TWP could significantly increase those able to attend without losing what has been built as a great game day experience for home fans and visitors alike. Bob Hunter has experience in this area and will have already noted what changes need to be made I am sure. Just such a huge jump going up to BMO . It would kill the atmosphere .

Just double the prices and let the glories of the free market do the rest.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

3 minutes ago, Fuzzy said:

Hi all, first post here

inreally fancy a trip to Toronto so looking forward to it already

Welcome

and great that your first post is positivity... maybe this is a sign of things to come

43 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

Parky doesn't debate. He lectures, delivering the same old points, over and over again as if constant repitition will make them true. 

I ask again - did you even watch the game last Saturday?

14 hours ago, TIWIT said:

Given that Parksider is the #1 Toronto hater, this thread should have been called the Parky Says thread. Then everyone else could ignore him and his non-stop moaning and groaning, because really, once you've read one of his posts you've read pretty much everything he has to say.

Tell me, Parky, did you even WATCH the game on Saturday?

Just in case @The Parksider thinks you weren't asking him this time..... 

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

I'll never believe some (not all!) of Toronto's attendances until my dying day, just like I won't with some Challenge Cup final figures, or some Wigan games, or Hull FC game, or some London games and practically everywhere else. Why not? Because they are sales figures! 

I realise you Canadians are new to this, but surely you are not so naïve as to actually believe attendance figures are 100% accurate?

Anyway, why is Toronto different? Are you saying that winning almost every game for the past three years makes no odds? 

If my team was winning week in week out I wouldn't be as bothered about going as I would be if it was going to be a close encounter, a good game, and I wasnt sure which way it was going to go... so IMO getting crowds when you are running away with the league can be difficult maybe not as difficult as if you are rock bottom but still difficult, so to get what they are getting is pretty good going. As long as they dont end up rooted to the bottom and being whooped every game i cant see an issue.

Just now, Loup said:

Toronto crowds have been coming every game for the Maple Leafs, who haven't won a Stanley Cup since 1742.

Sure, but hockey is Canada's national game. It’s huge. I have an aunt with season tickets at the Ottawa Senators. Loves the razzle-dazzle at the arena.

If the Wolfpack has a ‘losing record’ over the next couple of years will Lamport hold the same attraction to the good folk of Toronto? Not sure it will.

4 minutes ago, Loup said:

Toronto crowds have been coming every game for the Maple Leafs, who haven't won a Stanley Cup since 1742.

It's the same here for our national sport (soccer)...........teams like Leeds United and Newcastle still get massive crowds even though they have been rubbish for 20 odd years.

I know it's going well over there so far but i wouldn't compare anything to Ice Hockey yet.

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

11 minutes ago, TboneFromTO said:

They are just the ducks now (they dropped the mighty)

Dropped it when Disney sold them.  They used to be owned by Disney.  I've yet to see a player make use of the Knuckle Puck!  I've tried many times!

26 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Sure, but hockey is Canada's national game. It’s huge. I have an aunt with season tickets at the Ottawa Senators. Loves the razzle-dazzle at the arena.

If the Wolfpack has a ‘losing record’ over the next couple of years will Lamport hold the same attraction to the good folk of Toronto? Not sure it will.

but isnt the whole point of Toronto that there is more than just the game... (frankly it should be the way it is at every ground for this exact reason).. so it would be like your aunt and the senators.. you are going for more than the game so the result does not matter.. in a way your post is arguing against itself in that manner.. 

3 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

Dropped it when Disney sold them.  They used to be owned by Disney.  I've yet to see a player make use of the Knuckle Puck!  I've tried many times!

how about the "flying V" please tell me they use the "flying V"

1 minute ago, RP London said:

but isnt the whole point of Toronto that there is more than just the game... (frankly it should be the way it is at every ground for this exact reason).. so it would be like your aunt and the senators.. you are going for more than the game so the result does not matter.. in a way your post is arguing against itself in that manner.. 

Not really a fair comparison between a modern hockey arena and Lamport.

Besides, you can't fit all 9k in a beer garden.  

42 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I'll never believe some (not all!) of Toronto's attendances until my dying day, just like I won't with some Challenge Cup final figures, or some Wigan games, or Hull FC game, or some London games and practically everywhere else. Why not? Because they are sales figures! 

I realise you Canadians are new to this, but surely you are not so naïve as to actually believe attendance figures are 100% accurate?

Anyway, why is Toronto different? Are you saying that winning almost every game for the past three years makes no odds? 

A competitive close game is more exciting to watch so yeah, we are looking forward to a tough season. I expect we will have more than one loss next year and that's exciting.

The Fev final was crazy! 57 minutes in and down by 4...really gets you into the game. Ask Kman, my 3 year old was having a great time clapping for our tries once we broke the seal.

I now know you just don't like attendance figures in general, not just ours. I think I speak for all Canadian posters when I say we were all under the impression you just didn't like our figures.

Last game we got fiend for exceeding the 9,600 capacity so maybe that will give you a bit of faith in the figures. And lastly, remember that kids 5 and under are not counted and we have a solid league 1 attendance of kids under 5 each game.

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Not really a fair comparison between a modern hockey arena and Lamport.

Besides, you can't fit all 9k in a beer garden.  

but i;m not comparing the arenas.. I'm comparing the fact that you go for more than the game its about other things that are going on, the day out one might call it..

they may not all fit in the beer garden but you can go and sit in the stands and talk to your mate then go and get another beer.. apparently there are loads of empty seats ? ?

10 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

I sometime think the RFL are owned by Comedy Central.

That's not a dig at TWP you guys are ok?

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

1 hour ago, CanadianRugger said:

Brits here take note: Disney paid 50 million US$ for their franchise in 1993 and sold it for 75 million US$ (a 50% gain on what they paid for it) 12 years later.  Another 12 years on Vegas paid 500 million US$ for their franchise and Seattle is paying 650 million US$ for theirs which will start play in 2021.

The 75 million US$ paid by Henry and Susan Samueli for the Ducks is now worth almost 10 times that amount given that in any business an established franchise with an established customer base and revenue stream would generally be worth more than a brand new one just starting up.  That's how profitable the North American model of franchises, franchise fees, player drafts and all that makes investing in big time pro sports.

Archived