Toronto hate

Me personally I neither love or hate them but when will they start to produce their own players?. Hopefully if the game takes off over there they'll be able to play in their own Canadian league. I don't see how it could be feasible to go to and fro across the Atlantic long term. What other sport do they have teams coming in from completely different countries? It's a funny one really, everyone will have there own take on it. 

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope they are a success. I have concerns regarding their business practices. Toronto remind me of the worst bits of Leigh. High proportion of annoying fans who think they are the 2nd coming. Owner who seems like Koukash sails too close to the edge regarding paying. Having said all that exviting times if they can deliver and start to develop home grown players in a frw years

Got to love threads like this. I'm in my early forties been watching since 1985, when there were just 5 countries competing. Look at the change now! We have nigh on 10k in Toronto. TORONTO. You know that place in CANADA. 

Why would anyone moan at all. If they love the game then they must see the bigger picture. 

My only negative is what was the plan when they first entered League 1? Was there one? To eventually have SL as a world league? To expand the game eventually in North America? To have a North American professional league?

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

20 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

Me personally I neither love or hate them but when will they start to produce their own players?. Hopefully if the game takes off over there they'll be able to play in their own Canadian league. I don't see how it could be feasible to go to and fro across the Atlantic long term. What other sport do they have teams coming in from completely different countries? It's a funny one really, everyone will have there own take on it. 

If you look through S/L how many players do individual clubs actually supply, it usually certain areas that supply a high percentage of players in areas that have played for over 100years. Expecting Toronto to do that anytime soon is crazy.

26 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Its the European Super League. The plan was always at least 2 French sides never mind from anywhere else.

Super League being originally set up with the intention of having 2 French sides is something that people often tend to ignore.

1 hour ago, Mark S said:

The sport really needs to move away from the chippy attitude towards teams that have financial support. If we want to game to survive (never mind grow) in the modern world it needs money. 

Having a village from West Yorkshire in SL would have put the game back 25 years.

And people need to stop treating the wolfpack as the second coming of the sport

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

Super League being originally set up with the intention of having 2 French sides is something that people often tend to ignore.

Course they do. If anything the social media response to Toronto getting promoted has just shown how ignorant a lot of people are.

1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

I stopped reading after that comment. People are right to point out TW aren’t the saviours of the game but what they have achieved in 3yrs is remarkable; unprecedented in the SL era IMO. 

They've created a good game day experience that's basically it.

2 minutes ago, Themusician_2 said:

And 9,000 odd more fans of the game in a brand new RL country.

Oh far more coverage of Championship RL on Sky too which benefits all Championship clubs and fans.

Oh also more money coming into the sport and funding wages and more opportunities for players and coaches.

But yeah apart from that what have they ever done for RL.

1 minute ago, Damien said:

And 9,000 odd more fans of the game in a brand new RL country.

Oh far more coverage of Championship RL on Sky too which benefits all Championship clubs and fans.

Oh also more money coming into the sport and funding wages and more opportunities for players and coaches.

But yeah apart from that what have they ever done for RL.

There is no new money the pack just covered the travel costs and expenses of visiting teams. This won't be done when they in super league

4 minutes ago, Themusician_2 said:

There is no new money the pack just covered the travel costs and expenses of visiting teams. This won't be done when they in super league

Except the money Toronto spend is new money.  It's no one else's but theirs.  And good they shouldn't have to do it in super League. It's bush League to expect them to.

4 minutes ago, Themusician_2 said:

There is new money. An entire club and everyone's wages are being funded by it. Probably well over £2 million every year, and that's being very conservative, invested in Rugby League that wouldn't otherwise be.

2 hours ago, Bob8 said:

This is rather amusing. You have misjudged Yanto I fear.  

Yanto being a new wet behind the ears fly by night fan, is the best theory yet!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

52 minutes ago, Themusician_2 said:

New investment into the sport. Thousands of new fans. Further playing opportunities in a different part of the world; for both players and supporters. New media interest. All in just 3yrs

10 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Yanto being a new wet behind the ears fly by night fan, is the best theory yet!

I have been called a little England’s and a rugby union troll, but that is rather overshadowed now. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

2 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

My only negative is what was the plan when they first entered League 1? Was there one? To eventually have SL as a world league? To expand the game eventually in North America? To have a North American professional league?

Hahahaha.... a plan? In rugby league? Do you actually know this sport? Hahahaha.... ???

2 hours ago, North but south said:

I was speaking to some warrington fans whilst watching the game. They didn't like Toronto. Their reasons were:

They're a dirty team.

They can travel to most games in around an hour and can't do that with Toronto. They also disliked London and Catalans for the same reason, Toulouse were never going up so didn't worry about them.

It's a British league, non British teams shouldn't be allowed

I think Warrington fans travelled quite well last time they were at Catalans. In fact it progressed all the way into the VIP section :kolobok_ph34r:

4 hours ago, Ackroman said:

The identity of the sport is changing. Get over it.

Yeah it's not as though SRD in the Grand Final is that much of a shock, ........ er!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

13 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

May I suggest ‘No TV deal - going bust!’ as the middle one?

It's already there, MoK. You've said it so many times. I note with amusement that you are now re-quoting your greatest hits from the Bingo card. Time for some NEW anti-Toronto jibes, my man! John Drake is getting tired of the same old horse flogging.

4 hours ago, John Fisher said:

Warrington fans struggle to make the 12 mile journey to the AJ Bell. Your ambition to make the 338 from Montreal to Toronto is outstanding

Easily done. We have roads here.

3 hours ago, North but south said:

I was speaking to some warrington fans whilst watching the game. They didn't like Toronto. Their reasons were:

They're a dirty team.

They can travel to most games in around an hour and can't do that with Toronto. They also disliked London and Catalans for the same reason, Toulouse were never going up so didn't worry about them.

It's a British league, non British teams shouldn't be allowed

*coughs* Started out as EUROPEAN Super League

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

"If we're not careful, the whole of the forum will soon just be threads about Toronto, " John Drake

In the words of Paul MCCartney "What's wrong with that I'd like to know?"

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Archived