Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
The Future is League

Brian McDermott says cutting out the BS got the TWP promoted

Recommended Posts

Another stick Toronto are beaten with is the lack of Canadian players in their squad but former Great Britain boss Noble, who admitted talks over Williams had been going on for two years, told critics to ‘grow up.’

He said: “It might take 20 years. If you look at the development in London, it’s taken 25 years to get players through.

“It’s poppycock to think you can create something overnight. ‘We’ll have a stream, a conveyor belt, of Canadian players coming through.’ No you won’t, Grow up.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

Another stick Toronto are beaten with is the lack of Canadian players in their squad but former Great Britain boss Noble, who admitted talks over Williams had been going on for two years, told critics to ‘grow up.’

He said: “It might take 20 years. If you look at the development in London, it’s taken 25 years to get players through.

“It’s poppycock to think you can create something overnight. ‘We’ll have a stream, a conveyor belt, of Canadian players coming through.’ No you won’t, Grow up.”

Given time they will get there.

How many years has Rugby League been played in this country? and we still need imports to pad out out teams. People in class houses shouldn't throw stones

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was noticeable how much less of a "Rowley style" team Toronto were by the end of last season and I think it has benefitted them massively. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Given time they will get there.

How many years has Rugby League been played in this country? and we still need imports to pad out out teams. People in class houses shouldn't throw stones

you;re right but it depends which class.. if in a working class house you could do some major damage inside, the windows are closer, you could hurt other people more easily, there is high risk of breaking the oversized tv in the living room etc.. if you're in an upper class home its much bigger so throwing stones will do much less damage, got to be careful of all the old and expensive pottery on display granted but there is a lot more margin for error I would guess... :kolobok_ph34r:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

It was noticeable how much less of a "Rowley style" team Toronto were by the end of last season and I think it has benefitted them massively. 

And yet is that not a consequence of being told " Canadians like a bit off biff " ?

Yes Rowley has always liked to disrespect the opposition , which nobody likes 

Edited by GUBRATS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

And yet is that not a consequence of being told " Canadians like a bit off gift " ?

Yes Rowley has always liked to disrespect the opposition , which nobody likes 

Doubt it, its not like they're a soft team either now. Like McDermott said it was cutting the BS associated first with Rowley's Leigh team then Toronto, particularly in defence, but also just in general attitude. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Doubt it, its not like they're a soft team either now. Like McDermott said it was cutting the BS associated first with Rowley's Leigh team then Toronto, particularly in defence, but also just in general attitude. 

When he was at Leigh he organised competitions between his forwards for who could wind up the opposition the most , basically he was a knob , few if any fans liked it , it was embarrassing 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

And yet is that not a consequence of being told " Canadians like a bit off biff " ?

Yes Rowley has always liked to disrespect the opposition , which nobody likes 

Absolutely bang on. That was the way the game was sold to the Canadian’s.

Now grunt plays no part, skill must become a factor in SL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Absolutely bang on. That was the way the game was sold to the Canadian’s.

Now grunt plays no part, skill must become a factor in SL.

Our Canadian team will show you how it is done this year!

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Our Canadian team will show you how it is done this year!

well I'll be watching them in their first home game of SL and hope your right............ that is at the Headingley double header. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, redjonn said:

well I'll be watching them in their first home game of SL and hope your right............ that is at the Headingley double header. 

Its big...BIG!

Wish I could be there with you ; you lucky duck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't completely agree with him. They were still head and shoulders the best team even when they were doing the s***house stuff. They just choked in the big game when promotion was 80 minutes away. 

Being more disciplined will definitely benefit them in SL. But in no way was that what stopped them getting promotion in the previous year. 

As for developing Canadian players. It will take time for sure, and nobody with any sense expected a bunch of Canadian players in the starting line up at this stage. However I don't like this attitude of "it'll take 20 to 25 years, look how long it took London." It comes across like they expect it just to happen. What are they doing to get the game played in schools? Do they have plans to start an academy? Have they held any more trials to find talent since the initial one years ago? I don't know what is happening behind the scenes so maybe they are making progress. But currently there seems to be a lot of chat about marquee players and imports and very little about grassroots. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brian McDermott says cutting out the BS got the TWP promoted

Hmmmmm!


"It is, by a million miles, a better sport than union. League is 80 minutes of physicality, speed, good handling, good kicking. It’s continuous."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Our Canadian team will show you how it is done this year!

Well I hope they do for all concerned..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Well I hope they do for all concerned..

Of course they will...of course they will....of course they will....

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MZH said:

I don't completely agree with him. They were still head and shoulders the best team even when they were doing the s***house stuff. They just choked in the big game when promotion was 80 minutes away. 

Being more disciplined will definitely benefit them in SL. But in no way was that what stopped them getting promotion in the previous year. 

As for developing Canadian players. It will take time for sure, and nobody with any sense expected a bunch of Canadian players in the starting line up at this stage. However I don't like this attitude of "it'll take 20 to 25 years, look how long it took London." It comes across like they expect it just to happen. What are they doing to get the game played in schools? Do they have plans to start an academy? Have they held any more trials to find talent since the initial one years ago? I don't know what is happening behind the scenes so maybe they are making progress. But currently there seems to be a lot of chat about marquee players and imports and very little about grassroots. 

They have progress via SBW. It will bums on seats at most stadia.

The timescale is very short given SBW’s age. So he has to be used to generate the youth game within the game not only Canada.

The window is very small.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SL17 said:

They have progress via SBW. It will bums on seats at most stadia.

The timescale is very short given SBW’s age. So he has to be used to generate the youth game within the game not only Canada.

The window is very small.

You are correct. Having players like SBW and having a successful team in general will generate interest and get kids wanting to play the game. But there's not much point if there is no pathway for them. I appreciate that it doesn't happen overnight, but they need to be laying the foundations now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As usual he talks a lot of sense and certainly agrees with the criticism that some had regarding the BS from Rowley's team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, RP London said:

you;re right but it depends which class.. if in a working class house you could do some major damage inside, the windows are closer, you could hurt other people more easily, there is high risk of breaking the oversized tv in the living room etc.. if you're in an upper class home its much bigger so throwing stones will do much less damage, got to be careful of all the old and expensive pottery on display granted but there is a lot more margin for error I would guess... :kolobok_ph34r:

I'm glad you agree with me that clubs that have been playing Rugby League for nearly 125 years shouldn't need imports as they should have sorted out their junior development by now.

If it was up to me i would ban all heartland clubs from having imports, and if they don't like it TOUGH, they have had plenty of time to sort out junior development.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

I'm glad you agree with me that clubs that have been playing Rugby League for nearly 125 years shouldn't need imports as they should have sorted out their junior development by now.

If it was up to me i would ban all heartland clubs from having imports, and if they don't like it TOUGH, they have had plenty of time to sort out junior development.

Imports generate interest.. A new pup on the block doesn’t carry the same weight.

Try again..

Edited by SL17
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It wouldn’t say much for RL as a sport if new players could pick it up from scratch and play competitively in our second tier after two years. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eddie said:

It wouldn’t say much for RL as a sport if new players could pick it up from scratch and play competitively in our second tier after two years. 

Who has been claiming that they should? 

Although I would dispute that statement. If you are a top class athlete with experience in a similar sport (union, American football, aussie rules etc.) there is no reason why you couldn't. It's a relatively simple game if you are physically up to the demands. Ratu Naulago had never played rugby league until about a year ago. How long had Brian Carney been playing rugby league before he got a SL contract? It does happen. I always think that RL doesn't do enough to scout talent from outside the usual places. There are a lot of rough diamonds out there. And that isn't a Toronto thing, that's everyone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...