Jump to content
John Drake

The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

I don't think they have any choice really...I've been saying it all along...they are stuck between a rock and a hard place.   SL simply needs Toronto.  Some look but they don't Leigh...errrr....I mean see.;

Well we already know where Leigh stands on the issue. Not that it matters of course.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

“This brand itself will help catapult the league into a marketing machine," he promised.

Does he know something the other 10 don’t know? (Excluding Guasch.)

 They may grab the chance when they get their heads out of the sand.

Edited by frank
Addition

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

“This brand itself will help catapult the league into a marketing machine," he promised.

Does he know something the other 10 don’t know? (Excluding Guasch.)

 

Edited by frank
Removal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Kayakman said:

I don't think they have any choice really...I've been saying it all along...they are stuck between a rock and a hard place.   SL simply needs Toronto.  Some look but they don't Leigh...errrr....I mean see.;

Like a crutch needs woodworm!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TIWIT said:

There's an interview in The Sun where LiVolsi calls Argyle's actions "dishonest and disgusting" and confirms he hasn't talked to him in months. Sure doesn't sound like he's Argyle's front man as he's doing his best to separate himself from the previous owner (throwing him under the bus is a phrase that comes to mind.) Is SL buying it? We shall see. 👃

The link Eddie posted had the Sun, Mirror, Canadian and TRL media quotes from LiVolsi.  The wording was different in the Canadian piece, that’s why I posted the quote regarding marketing and SL.

I agree in that everything coming out of TWP will need to be convincing enough for SL.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Michael1812 said:

Am I the only Toronto supporter who would be happy for Toronto to not come back? It is pretty clear that the people who run the game, own the clubs and attend the matches don’t want anything to do with Toronto outside of capitalising on their publicity and taking 1/12th of the tv money. As a former Torontonian, I am use to everyone hating me but I’ve never experienced a situation where people would prefer we didn’t exist.

I also find the attitude of those involved in the sport to be massively negative, which is also a turnoff. The 80 mins of sports can be great, but everything else isn’t enjoyable.

Obviously, I am completely new to the sport, but is that negativity holding it back in the UK or am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

Without getting too heavy Michael, you have to remember the part of the world our game comes from, they have been through a lot, I have never been there but am well aware how tough life was for miners and mining families, and then even having that pulled from under them, the Miners strikes weren`t really that long ago historically. League is a tough game, played for many generations by tough people and followed by a lot of tough hard bitten people. We have to allow for a bit of cynicism when it comes to `flash` outsiders who make big promises. Anyone feel free to contradict me.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Without getting too heavy Michael, you have to remember the part of the world our game comes from, they have been through a lot, I have never been there but am well aware how tough life was for miners and mining families, and then even having that pulled from under them, the Miners strikes weren`t really that long ago historically. League is a tough game, played for many generations by tough people and followed by a lot of tough hard bitten people. We have to allow for a bit of cynicism when it comes to `flash` outsiders who make big promises. Anyone feel free to contradict me.

That's it. Blame Thatcher.

  • Haha 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Can you tell us a bit more about this Wolf Grooming product and how it will benefit Super League rather than just Toronto Wolfpack? The goal here is to partner with the Super League and its teams and for them to become a distributor of this product and market them to the 20 million eyeballs that see Super League through a year.

So it would seem that his grand plan is to turn SL and its clubs into some sort of pyramid marketing scheme. Marvellous.

  • Like 2

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Michael1812 said:

Am I the only Toronto supporter who would be happy for Toronto to not come back? It is pretty clear that the people who run the game, own the clubs and attend the matches don’t want anything to do with Toronto outside of capitalising on their publicity and taking 1/12th of the tv money. As a former Torontonian, I am use to everyone hating me but I’ve never experienced a situation where people would prefer we didn’t exist.

I also find the attitude of those involved in the sport to be massively negative, which is also a turnoff. The 80 mins of sports can be great, but everything else isn’t enjoyable.

Obviously, I am completely new to the sport, but is that negativity holding it back in the UK or am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

Same with the Leafs and Raps people would perfer if they would go away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, RugbyFan99 said:

And, in the extremely unlikely event that the grooming product doesn't take off, does he then walk away?

Have I missed something here?  I have read the Q and A a few pages ago and LiVolsi has been in the beauty business for 18 years so he must be doing something right and been successful at it I.e. he doesn’t appear to be a chancer who has bought a club then thought ‘I had best create a product to sell to hopefully pay for all this’.

Therefore I am a bit confused with posters on here saying that Wolf Grooming is just targeted at RL followers.  My understanding of the article is that the SL and players will  be asked to promote the product and it turn if the product is successful then SL will benefit financially.  If so it seems to be a great opportunity to have RL players promoting products, something rarely seen since I saw Paul Sculthorpe promoting Gillette.

Obviously there will be other promotions and marketing outside of SL and the product will be available in shops/supermarkets which already sell other similar products that he is associated with.  Boots I hope are still a big player on the high street in the UK, Walmart is a massive global player and Woolworths in Australia is one of the two biggest supermarket chains.

Or have I completely misread the article?

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The biggest part of the posters on here, have for some time  been coming up with petty  remarks which are a waste of time.

There is nothing to be lost by giving this guy a chance.If this comes off and it could, there will be money coming into the game and the game desperately needs it.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jayme2020 said:

Same with the Leafs and Raps people would perfer if they would go away.

Speak for yourself there Ottawa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Have I missed something here?  I have read the Q and A a few pages ago and LiVolsi has been in the beauty business for 18 years so he must be doing something right and been successful at it I.e. he doesn’t appear to be a chancer who has bought a club then thought ‘I had best create a product to sell to hopefully pay for all this’.

Therefore I am a bit confused with posters on here saying that Wolf Grooming is just targeted at RL followers.  My understanding of the article is that the SL and players will  be asked to promote the product and it turn if the product is successful then SL will benefit financially.  If so it seems to be a great opportunity to have RL players promoting products, something rarely seen since I saw Paul Sculthorpe promoting Gillette.

Obviously there will be other promotions and marketing outside of SL and the product will be available in shops/supermarkets which already sell other similar products that he is associated with.  Boots I hope are still a big player on the high street in the UK, Walmart is a massive global player and Woolworths in Australia is one of the two biggest supermarket chains.

Or have I completely misread the article?

But surely that's exactly what he is saying? Toronto is a cash burning machine.

I would suggest you visit an Adelaide Woolworths and picture how 'Wolf Grooming' might fare against the competition, even if it can get on the shelf with all the other products (often made by giant companies with deep pockets).

Then we have the issue of a partnership with Super League. Is Super League expected to contribute to the marketing/manufacturing/distribution costs of something it knows nothing about? Would Super League be on the hook if it makes a loss?  What happens if LiVolsi does a runner and bills go unpaid (again)?

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

But surely that's exactly what he is saying? Toronto is a cash burning machine.

I would suggest you visit an Adelaide Woolworths and picture how 'Wolf Grooming' might fare against the competition, even if it can get on the shelf with all the other products (often made by giant companies with deep pockets).

Then we have the issue of a partnership with Super League. Is Super League expected to contribute to the marketing/manufacturing/distribution costs of something it knows nothing about? Would Super League be on the hook if it makes a loss?  What happens if LiVolsi does a runner and bills go unpaid (again)?

I think you are over-thinking this mate :kolobok_biggrin:

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think you are over-thinking this mate :kolobok_biggrin:

I don't trust them with a loonie, sorry. Especially as this guy is already a shareholder and pal of Argyle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Come on guys there must be some RL journalists out there that can dig it all out:)

No issues for me with TW staying in SL even owed by DA.

Guys this is all a game its a PR job.

Oldest game in the book GOOD COP BAD COP LOL:)

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Like a crutch needs woodworm!

In case anyone from overseas is wondering, outside of Leigh, crutches in the UK are made of Aluminium.

Kayakman will probably be along shortly to tell us that in Toronto they are Titanium though.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

I don't trust them with a loonie, sorry. Especially as this guy is already a shareholder and pal of Argyle.

I dont think they will be drinking buddies after his comments to the media but keep those conspiracy theories coming..

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

I dont think they will be drinking buddies after his comments to the media but keep those conspiracy theories coming..

He could hardly say they are still great mates when there's a PR battle to be won.

Besides, aren't they on the same boards of other companies? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Like a crutch needs woodworm!

What are the teeth like on the woodworms round your way H?!?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

He could hardly say they are still great mates when there's a PR battle to be won.

Besides, aren't they on the same boards of other companies? 

Its ALL BULL my wife blames me when anything goes wrong and I take it on the chin:)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Toronto doing so much for the game here. Sending players on loan to Melbourne and current NRL back to back premier Sydney Roosters to warm up for the 2021 super league season

Absolutely gargantuan moves 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

In case anyone from overseas is wondering, outside of Leigh, crutches in the UK are made of Aluminium.

Kayakman will probably be along shortly to tell us that in Toronto they are Titanium though.

Is it true that the wooden crutches in Leigh come with 'this end up' labels on them?😇

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Its ALL BULL my wife blames me when anything goes wrong and I take it on the chin:)

Certainly smells whiffy.

Women are biologically incapable of accepting they are, or have ever been, at fault - fact! 

Edited by Man of Kent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...