Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
HarrogateKnights

Challenge Cup Sponsorship

Recommended Posts

Thinking about SBW and his understandable decision not to adopt the Betfred logo, are we potentially restricting access to grow the game even further due to our commercial sponsors?

With the Challenge cup we have had since 1980 2 cigarette companies, 1 alcohol and 2 betting companies amongst the 8 sponsors to date, 5 are in dodgy territory, 3 not advisable due to religion. When you look at the latest deal from Coral it was understood to be a 7 figure sum, the Emirates deal for the FA cup in 2015 was £10million a year. I know we don't have the same pulling power for such a sponsor or monetary requirements but surely more ethical sponsors could be found offering low millions to sponsor 1 high profile cup competition (prime time BBC final) and 3 leagues with 1 on consistently on Sky. There are airlines, train companies, utility and insurance companies amongst others that surely would easily fit the profile. 

Time for a change?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not really. It's was a bit of a non-story yesterday and it's chip wrapping today. 

The game attracts Coral despite two of the competitions competitors (and one of its recent winners) being located in an area where Coral aren't allowed to advertise. 

In the same way that James McClean does more for the Royal British Legion than any other footballer, SBW has probably been manna from heaven for Fred Done this week. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Not really. It's was a bit of a non-story yesterday and it's chip wrapping today. 

The game attracts Coral despite two of the competitions competitors (and one of its recent winners) being located in an area where Coral aren't allowed to advertise. 

In the same way that James McClean does more for the Royal British Legion than any other footballer, SBW has probably been manna from heaven for Fred Done this week. 

Agree, a complete non-story which is only being latched onto by the regular miseries who are determined to talk down the sport.  

BetFred won't mind the free publicity in the slightest and Batchelors will probably be happy if SBW takes similar umbrage with mushy peas:

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/batchelors-peas-renews-partnership-with-betfred-super-league-for-2020/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Agree, a complete non-story which is only being latched onto by the regular miseries who are determined to talk down the sport.  

BetFred won't mind the free publicity in the slightest and Batchelors will probably be happy if SBW takes similar umbrage with mushy peas:

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/batchelors-peas-renews-partnership-with-betfred-super-league-for-2020/

I personally have never "talked down the sport" if you look at the regulation that the gambling companies are coming under and the constant scrutiny it is only a matter of time before the line snaps so to speak. I personally don't gamble or would be influenced to do so because they sponsor the cup and league of a team that I support but we have all our eggs in one basket right across the UK. Granted England RL aren't in that pot yet.  

The Tobacco Advertising Directive did in for the likes of Marlboro with their F1 sponsorship of Ferrari a gambling version would ruin the sport leaving it without any commercial sponsors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HarrogateKnights said:

Thinking about SBW and his understandable decision not to adopt the Betfred logo, are we potentially restricting access to grow the game even further due to our commercial sponsors?

With the Challenge cup we have had since 1980 2 cigarette companies, 1 alcohol and 2 betting companies amongst the 8 sponsors to date, 5 are in dodgy territory, 3 not advisable due to religion. When you look at the latest deal from Coral it was understood to be a 7 figure sum, the Emirates deal for the FA cup in 2015 was £10million a year. I know we don't have the same pulling power for such a sponsor or monetary requirements but surely more ethical sponsors could be found offering low millions to sponsor 1 high profile cup competition (prime time BBC final) and 3 leagues with 1 on consistently on Sky. There are airlines, train companies, utility and insurance companies amongst others that surely would easily fit the profile. 

Time for a change?

   Ah,yes,airlines.New Zealand rugby union national side were sponsored by New Zealand airlines.I think SBW didn't have any complaints.

  Extinction Rebellion protesters may need removing from outside stadia should their protests continue.

   If I am to believe the protesters,and what is written by journalists,perhaps the end of the world should be considered a tad more worrying for humankind than the gambling addiction impacting on those with addictive personalities.

     Who is thinking about the children...?    Time for a climate change...?


     No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

   Ah,yes,airlines.New Zealand rugby union national side were sponsored by New Zealand airlines.I think SBW didn't have any complaints.

  Extinction Rebellion protesters may need removing from outside stadia should their protests continue.

   If I am to believe the protesters,and what is written by journalists,perhaps the end of the world should be considered a tad more worrying for humankind than the gambling addiction impacting on those with addictive personalities.

     Who is thinking about the children...?    Time for a climate change...?

You say that "a tad more worrying for humankind than the gambling addiction" there have been plenty of high profile cases recently where gambling addiction has led to chasing loses and spiralling debt and suicides on the back of this, leaving loved ones to pick up the mess. Especially the ease of use via online and apps have made gambling more accessible over the last 10 years, I am not saying ban gambling as people still smoke, drink etc but risks of each are advertised on the product directly. Its one of those situations where we don't open ourselves up to direct risk but there is always going to be a stigma attached and it would look better internationally for the sport if we had global sponsors. The North American market thrives on big sponsorship deals and to unlock the door with a big player such as Hilton or Mastercard would do wonders for the sport.

Otherwise Quorn might be your ideal sponsor then for your gang of eco warriors 😉 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would anyone want to sponsor Rugby League? What do sponsors expect to get? Do they get it?


Four legs good - two legs bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Why would anyone want to sponsor Rugby League? What do sponsors expect to get? Do they get it?

For the same reasons that sponsors sponsor anything. The value of sponsorship that Rugby League attracts probably answers your questions better than anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes indeed. I'd hoped for answers from people who expected bigger and better sponsorship. The game is more Dacia and Coral than it is Land Rover and Patek Phillipe. Its more gambling than high net worth financial services. Sponsors don't just fall out of trees

 


Four legs good - two legs bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Yes indeed. I'd hoped for answers from people who expected bigger and better sponsorship. The game is more Dacia and Coral than it is Land Rover and Patek Phillipe. Its more gambling than high net worth financial services. Sponsors don't just fall out of trees

 

Yeah the sponsors we have show what level rugby league is at compared to union which like you say has Land Rover over Dacia.

The other point is lots/ most sports teams and leagues have gambling and or alcohol sponsors

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didnt SBW also boycott banks sponsors while in RU?

His Millions £££ must be under his mattress then and paid in a brown paper bag..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We call ourselves a 'family game.'

What family would entice their loved ones, young ones or others to look at opportunities to fall in to the troubles of various issues such as gambling, drinking or other addictions. For many of us, its simply not an issue. However, the simple reminder to promote such temptations troubles me.

In terms of Super League, outside of 'BetFred' the other largest concern i have is Cash Converters on a Saints shirt. 

Advertising is to keep conscious thought to the people it encounters. Cash Converters are a cretin of an organisation, who look to either leach, or purchase items from people who have stolen items to trade in (no need for further discussion, its truth, I know).

And yet, our brand SUPER LEAGUE, will cooperate with such.

I have the upmost respect for players who feel, no, I won't do that. Whether that be SBW on £mill, or the next (and admittedly unlikely) next guy who may sign for £10-15k as a beginner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, The British Lion said:

We call ourselves a 'family game.'

What family would entice their loved ones, young ones or others to look at opportunities to fall in to the troubles of various issues such as gambling, drinking or other addictions. For many of us, its simply not an issue. However, the simple reminder to promote such temptations troubles me.

In terms of Super League, outside of 'BetFred' the other largest concern i have is Cash Converters on a Saints shirt. 

Advertising is to keep conscious thought to the people it encounters. Cash Converters are a cretin of an organisation, who look to either leach, or purchase items from people who have stolen items to trade in (no need for further discussion, its truth, I know).

And yet, our brand SUPER LEAGUE, will cooperate with such.

I have the upmost respect for players who feel, no, I won't do that. Whether that be SBW on £mill, or the next (and admittedly unlikely) next guy who may sign for £10-15k as a beginner.

All sports, including soccer, are rife with sponsors which could be considered unethical, RL is no better or worse than others.

At a sport comparison level I thnk we are morally at least around average for sponsorship brands.

I do however agree that Cash Converters is an embarrassment, I rank them on the level of pay day loan companies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

All sports, including soccer, are rife with sponsors which could be considered unethical, RL is no better or worse than others.

At a sport comparison level I thnk we are morally at least around average for sponsorship brands.

I do however agree that Cash Converters is an embarrassment, I rank them on the level of pay day loan companies.

Fair comment Whippet. I agree - sport will always be enticed by such sponsorships - thats why we attract their money.

Really glad you see the view on cash converters. Preying on desperate individuals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The British Lion said:

Fair comment Whippet. I agree - sport will always be enticed by such sponsorships - thats why we attract their money.

Really glad you see the view on cash converters. Preying on desperate individuals.

So, we know who YOU don't want US to have as sponsors. Who do YOU say WE should have? 

In addition, why are your choices not sponsors yet? 

Edited by JohnM
  • Confused 1

Four legs good - two legs bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Didnt SBW also boycott banks sponsors while in RU?

His Millions £££ must be under his mattress then and paid in a brown paper bag..

Or could be in an Islamic approved bank where they don't profit from interest and other criteria. He did boycott Bank of New Zealand when playing for the All Blacks as well as another Investec too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, JohnM said:

Yes indeed. I'd hoped for answers from people who expected bigger and better sponsorship. The game is more Dacia and Coral than it is Land Rover and Patek Phillipe. Its more gambling than high net worth financial services. Sponsors don't just fall out of trees

 

Agreed they don't fall out of trees like you say but I wonder when the RFL/super league are looking for a sponsor how many bids are on the table and how much decision making goes into the process. The previous sponsors like the likes of First Utility and Engage Mutual have been rebranded/merged. First now being Shell Retail Energy and Engage "One Family" (offices moved from Harrogate to Brighton) so maybe a factor into why they didn't try and bid again but there must be other options than Gambling and payday loan providers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, HarrogateKnights said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51242829 i know a different sport etc. But the Sports Minister Nigel Adams MP is saying that "football is too dependent on gambling" its starting to get to them and the pressure is on to change starting a review of the Gambling Act... 

Entirely different sport, entirely different  scale, and the outcome YOU want to foist on others is far from certain. What to ban next? 

Just say NO to Mushy Peas sponsorship because of methane and hydrogen sulphide emissions? 

Just say NO to Uncle Joes Mint Balls sponsorship because of the release of menthol into the atmosphere?

There are enough people in the world preaching to others what they should and should not do without adding to the problem.

  • Like 1

Four legs good - two legs bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The idea of Quorn,with it's north Yorkshire headquarters,being a sponsor is a great idea.

The sport requires as many sponsors as possible.It ain't got no money!

I shall be wearing Cash Converters advertising very proudly on my leisurewear this year.They provide a service to people who require it.

I live in a society that houses all manner of individuals.I even walk past queues of people waiting to hand money to Greggs,and some of us know about the rich guy who gains a lot from it who is currently in prison:at last.

I'm just wondering how all all those beer tents will get on when SBW makes a 'home' appearance? Will they banished,r will he be giving them tacit support by agreeing to play there?

 


     No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Entirely different sport, entirely different  scale, and the outcome YOU want to foist on others is far from certain. What to ban next? 

Just say NO to Mushy Peas sponsorship because of methane and hydrogen sulphide emissions? 

Just say NO to Uncle Joes Mint Balls sponsorship because of the release of menthol into the atmosphere?

There are enough people in the world preaching to others what they should and should not do without adding to the problem.

I disagree. If football ban gambling sponsors then why wouldn’t they turn to RL? Leeds has one of the worst gambling addiction problems in the country, how many clubs wear a gambling companies logo on their shirt?

Tobacco sponsorship and advertising has been banned for years, gambling and alcohol advertising and sponsoring is outlawed as well

Gambling addiction is not just a football problem, it’s a society problem and rl is part of that society

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A far for bigger problem is the effect of vehicle emissions as fans continue to travel to games by internal combustion engine vehicles.  Not only that, with 30,000 people killed or seriously injured each year in motor vehicle accidents in the UK, and over 5,000 killed in accidents at home, maybe, just maybe, that deserves our attention.


Four legs good - two legs bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

I shall be wearing Cash Converters advertising very proudly on my leisurewear this year.They provide a service to people who require it.

It's the second sentence which bothers me. Desperate people through such organisations cream high rates of interest and entrap them in a 'service to people who require it.'

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/01/2020 at 18:11, JohnM said:

Yes indeed. I'd hoped for answers from people who expected bigger and better sponsorship. The game is more Dacia and Coral than it is Land Rover and Patek Phillipe. Its more gambling than high net worth financial services. Sponsors don't just fall out of trees

 

How do you explain the Skolars’ Shirt sponsors then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...