coronavirus

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Mumby Magic said:

So a chippy and diy shop are essential?

One is food and drink, the other is maintenance.

In both, the risk of infection is low, helped by being sober.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

45 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

Same as food

Much of which is sold in washable/disinfectable plastic packaging. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Mumby Magic said:

I get that but it shud be all in or not.

It's not a punch up on the field , we have been fortunate that our lockdown hasn't been as tight as others , as we have seen on here people suggesting more are out and about , I'd say , yes they are , we are now getting the hang of social distancing , it is that which is the most important , obviously much more difficult in large cities than medium/small towns 

20 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

It's not a punch up on the field , we have been fortunate that our lockdown hasn't been as tight as others , as we have seen on here people suggesting more are out and about , I'd say , yes they are , we are now getting the hang of social distancing , it is that which is the most important , obviously much more difficult in large cities than medium/small towns 

I went for a walk around town and there seemed to be lots of people out and hanging around.

But, I considered that there were in the streets as the bars and restaurants were closed. Compared to ususal, the city was remarkably dead.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

7 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I get the feeling that extension for another three weeks without modifications would be untenable.

Time to get on with things, unless you’re vulnerable.

How do you know you are vulnerable. When it says they died with an underlying condition sometimes the person doesn’t know they have/had an underlying condition. 

The view from Jacksonville USA

https://twitter.com/i/status/1252972869371539457

Meanwhile some slightly more conventional analysis from Professor David Paton - Note the Ireland comparison

https://twitter.com/cricketwyvern

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

2 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

If deaths are around 2 weeks behind infections/hospitalisations does this not imply the deaths will continue at this level for a while before we see a sustained drop?

27510588-8244589-image-m-4_1587571058105

That is what has been said at virtually every press conference to date.  There is about a two week lag between each stage until deaths because obviously some people keep fighting for longer.

3 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

How do you know you are vulnerable. When it says they died with an underlying condition sometimes the person doesn’t know they have/had an underlying condition. 

People won’t tolerate their families being under virtual house arrest to protect the old, sick and/or fat indefinitely.

Sure, take precautions, practice social distancing, ie queue, and most importantly protect the vulnerable. Agree wholeheartedly with all of that. But the rest of us need to get on with our lives. 

3 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

The view from Jacksonville USA

https://twitter.com/i/status/1252972869371539457

Meanwhile some slightly more conventional analysis from Professor David Paton - Note the Ireland comparison

https://twitter.com/cricketwyvern

Again, worth pointing out that he's only using the data on deaths in English hospitals so quite possibly not the full picture.

5 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

We've seen that in rugby league a few times over the last few years.  

Just now, Man of Kent said:

People won’t tolerate their families being under virtual house arrest to protect the old, sick and/or fat indefinitely.

Sure, take precautions, practice social distancing, ie queue, and most importantly protect the vulnerable. Agree wholeheartedly with all of that. But the rest of us need to get on with our lives. 

What about the young, fit and slim?  They have been dying too.

7 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

There’s also an issue that “underlying” may not mean long term and chronic ... it may also mean an additional condition created by the impact of covid 19.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

My own (admittedly limited) experience is that there is considerably more traffic about this week than there has been - queues forming at junctions and roadworks where there haven't been any for a couple of weeks and noticeably more cars on the M62. I assume the stats shown in the updates are based on daily traffic counting on a number of (the same) roads. 

Don't forget we had Easter.  Some people are still going out to work and they will have booked Easter off.  They will not have been able to go anywhere but being home in the garden (or the park) will still have been more attractive than going into work for many.   That may explain things, or it may not!

11 hours ago, gingerjon said:

There’s also an issue that “underlying” may not mean long term and chronic ... it may also mean an additional condition created by the impact of covid 19.

I think many people are a bit deluded about how healthy they are.

If you can do thirty push ups, a 5K in less than thirty minutes and squat on your flat feet, you probably do have a basic level of fitness. But, it is amazing how many people do not come close and consider themselves fit.

Asthma, diabetes, high blood pressure, being overweight, I would suggest most people on this board would fit into at least one of these.

Just now, Man of Kent said:

So we just sit in our caves until it’s all gone away do we?

Based on what was said at the press conference today, unless or until we get a vaccine or an effective therapy rolling off the production lines, some degree of social disruption will be ongoing because the disease has to be managed in order to avoid exponential growth at a rapid rate, which this disease is very capable of.

I don't envy the policy makers picking their way out of this nightmare.  But I prefer to be socially disrupted for however long it takes than the UK or even parts of the UK looking like northern Italy did when it was first hit.

1 minute ago, Bob8 said:

I think many people are a bit deluded about how healthy they are.

If you can do thirty push ups, a 10K in less than thirty minutes and squat on your flat feet, you probably do have a basic level of fitness. But, it is amazing how many people do not come close and consider themselves fit.

Asthma, diabetes, high blood pressure, being overweight, I would suggest most people on this board would fit into at least one of these.

On this board, some people appear not to have noticed that one of the biggest factors in dying appears to be “being male”.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, Saintslass said:

Based on what was said at the press conference today, unless or until we get a vaccine or an effective therapy rolling off the production lines, some degree of social disruption will be ongoing because the disease has to be managed in order to avoid exponential growth at a rapid rate, which this disease is very capable of.

I don't envy the policy makers picking their way out of this nightmare.  But I prefer to be socially disrupted for however long it takes than the UK or even parts of the UK looking like northern Italy did when it was first hit.

Seems that way on social distancing. Masks and queues, and a slower pace of life perhaps.

I’m OK with that. What I’m not OK with is my family being subject to indefinite lockdown to protect the weak. 

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Seems that way on social distancing. Masks and queues, and a slower pace of life perhaps.

I’m OK with that. What I’m not OK with is my family being subject to indefinite lockdown to protect the weak. 

Gosh, you are brutal.

15 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Again, worth pointing out that he's only using the data on deaths in English hospitals so quite possibly not the full picture.

But was the first academic to call the peak as 8th April 2020 which is now conventional wisdom. So clearly getting something right. Though I take your point in that there are lies, damn lies and statistics in that countries are not recording coronavirus deaths in the a uniform manne,r one example being the UK apparently having no-one who is being recorded as having recovered from the virus

It will not be until 18-24 months post outbreak with sober analysis that we will be able to determine who got this right and who got this wrong.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Archived