coronavirus

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Well it was worth a little polite belligerence.... I have a full kit of PPE. ?

Good stuff. Pleased to hear.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

23 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

If they pay him £250000 per year,

£20800 .33 per month. x  3 Jan Feb,Mar=£62400.99   in 2020.

Turns out it was actually £275,000.

I can't see anywhere that it's been confirmed he's not receiving it still. Just an assumption - and assumptions are bad - from a rival paper that suggests he probably wouldn't be getting the salary now.

Mind you, he gets bunged £15,000 to go on holiday and won't say which businessman paid for it.

But we've digressed enough.

The point was that the very pro-Johnson Telegraph appear to be running a story querying the official UK statistics.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/03/29/coronavirus-questions-true-death-toll-london-hospital-records/

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Coronavirus has done what two world wars could not do ... postponed the National Eisteddfod of Wales.

It's the first week in August but the building would need to start reasonably soon and so they've taken the decision to postpone. I imagine that will hit a lot of contractors and businesses in the area very hard indeed.

The Danish PM has been on live TV.

Things are looking good (i.e. they can cope with the level of illness and enough people have contracted it), that they can ease the restrictions in two weeks. This is dependent on people not taking the mick and the numbers remaining stable.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

8 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Things are looking good (i.e. they can cope with the level of illness and enough people have contracted it), that they can ease the restrictions in two weeks. This is dependent on people not taking the mick and the numbers remaining stable.

What percentage of the population is deemed enough? Always wondered that for the UK too but without comprehensive testing it makes judgements like that more difficult. 

6 hours ago, Johnoco said:

So I can see in my street that someone has got a plasterer in doing some work. If only workmen had been advised to not go into people’s houses.

Its because of arrogant ***** like these that it will continue to spread and inevitably result in a more severe lockdown.

And if it’s the people who I think it is, they were out the other night clapping for the NHS. ??

I am self employed but will ride this storm out.

The ones that are out working are the greedy b***ards or those who hardly declare anything.

Hope everybody is gonna make  some noise this Thursday too.

Thanks Nhs.

9 minutes ago, Damien said:

What percentage of the population is deemed enough? Always wondered that for the UK too but without comprehensive testing it makes judgements like that more difficult. 

I think they are just look at the rate of cases. Denmark was a hotspot before the UK, as many middle class Danes go ski-ing in the Alps.

The testing here has not been that comprehensive enough for a full picture (though it seems far more than the UK).

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

19 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Doesn't that assume that you can't catch it twice? AFAIK the answer to that question isn't known for definite with some reports of people doing so and some reports of animal testing suggesting (at least short term) gained immunity.

Lancashire CCC chairman has died. No cause of death given to press but "a spokesman confirmed to the PA news agency that it was “coronavirus-related"".

13 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Doesn't that assume that you can't catch it twice? AFAIK the answer to that question isn't known for definite with some reports of people doing so and some reports of animal testing suggesting (at least short term) gained immunity.

It is a reasonable assumption, I would think, that you cannot catch it twice. Unlike a bacteria or parasite, the immune system will have recognised the viral pathogen (i.e. have immunity) to no longer have the virus. Certainly, that is not to say it is known for certain, but it is improbable that it is otherwise.

Of course, this will not be 100%, but it should be a general rule.

In the case of flu, the virus has specific proteins/antigens that mutate, effectively as mask. But, we see that young people are more vulnerable to flu and tend to gain resistance, until the immune system starts to weaken in later life.

4 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

It is a reasonable assumption, I would think, that you cannot catch it twice. Unlike a bacteria or parasite, the immune system will have recognised the viral pathogen (i.e. have immunity) to no longer have the virus. Certainly, that is not to say it is known for certain, but it is improbable that it is otherwise.

Of course, this will not be 100%, but it should be a general rule.

In the case of flu, the virus has specific proteins/antigens that mutate, effectively as mask. But, we see that young people are more vulnerable to flu and tend to gain resistance, until the immune system starts to weaken in later life.

Reasonable, but potentially risky without great care.

What seems like an age ago, a figure of around 60% of the population being infected was quoted as being necessary to gain herd immunity. The population of Denmark is around 5.8m so have ca3.5m been infected there? (Not a direct question to you Bob).

6 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Reasonable, but potentially risky without great care.

What seems like an age ago, a figure of around 60% of the population being infected was quoted as being necessary to gain herd immunity. The population of Denmark is around 5.8m so have ca3.5m been infected there? (Not a direct question to you Bob).

They will be estimating/guessing and those assumptions will be used to make best guess. Everything is uncertain. It is the rate of infection that the ICU wards being able to cope. It is not pretty.

31 minutes ago, Hullfan said:

Sorry if this as been asked n answered. 

I'm self employed married, I've lost my job die to covid19, however my wife still works full time. Am I entitled to any benefits? 

As a starting point, the government advice line for self employed people facing difficulties is 0800 024 1222.

Les Tonks,

My thoughts exactly. Every question asked today and basically everyday has been covered in the presentation. As you say either they are all deaf,or have sat their and thought "Oh,I was going to ask that,what do I do now". It is now time question time was axed,complete waste of time.

I am just waiting for one of the presenters to ask "Have you been listening"or have you nothing else to do.

50 minutes ago, Hullfan said:

Sorry if this as been asked n answered. 

I'm self employed married, I've lost my job die to covid19, however my wife still works full time. Am I entitled to any benefits? 

Depends how much you earn between you as to what you qualify for. Have you done your tax returns for the last three years. If you have the HMRC should be contacting you ( probably in a couple of months ) with a form. Which then should provide with three months money at 80% of your monthly average. 

41 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

They will be estimating/guessing and those assumptions will be used to make best guess. Everything is uncertain. It is the rate of infection that the ICU wards being able to cope. It is not pretty.

Their rates of infection and deaths still look to be growing exponentially, 8% (infection) 24% (deaths) growth factors, so I'm not sure I'd be claiming to have things under control.

data taken from European centre for Disease Control

22 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

Les Tonks,

My thoughts exactly. Every question asked today and basically everyday has been covered in the presentation. As you say either they are all deaf,or have sat their and thought "Oh,I was going to ask that,what do I do now". It is now time question time was axed,complete waste of time.

I am just waiting for one of the presenters to ask "Have you been listening"or have you nothing else to do.

I think they decide on questions pre presentation and cant be bothered to modify it based upon what is said

Lazy basically

Archived