2 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Seems my optimism was misplaced.

My sister's fella is back in ICU.... trachy back open and ventilator back on.

For the first time the consultant has suggested he might not make it and has warned that if he does, he will be nowhere near his former self. His lungs have been ravaged by the virus. 

Anxiety is now back in place.....

That's absolutely awful news. Hoping that things don't turn out anywhere near as bad as it sounds.

20 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

For the first time the consultant has suggested he might not make it and has warned that if he does, he will be nowhere near his former self. His lungs have been ravaged by the virus. 

Oh god mate, so sorry to hear this.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

Really sorry to hear this.  What a terrible time everyone in your family is going through.  I hope he makes it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Really sorry to hear that. Hope things take a turn for the better.

• Like 1

Old Faithful we never lose at Wembley

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-new-york-victims-without-family-buried-in-mass-grave-on-hart-island-11971679

An old story but got me thinking of when archeologists or builders come across a mass grave from a major historical event when working. Horrible thought/part of history but we are living through an historical event that will be remember for a long long time.

Edited by GeordieSaint

Can sky news literally fill the screen with anything more ? Ridiculous when the press conference is on that they plaster it with irritating distracting stuff all over the place ... like a big sidebar telling us about Priti Patel’s constituency and where she went to university , and important breaking news of something she’s just said 2 seconds ago

Edited by DavidM

I heard on the local BBC news tonight that Shearings the coach travel company has been liquidated (along with other companies in the group - Wallace Arnold, another coach travel company, being one of them) because its parent company has gone into administration .  The company's demise is as a result of the Covid lockdown.  2,500 people have lost their jobs in Wigan where Shearings is based (I don't know about the other companies) and 65,000 holidays have been cancelled.  The company was 100 years old I believe and born in Oldham.  I suspect there are going to be many similar casualties of this virus.

Edited by Saintslass

11 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

I heard on the local BBC news tonight that Shearings the coach travel company has been liquidated (along with other companies in the group - Wallace Arnold, another coach travel company, being one of them) because its parent company has gone into administration .  The company's demise is as a result of the Covid lockdown.  2,500 people have lost their jobs in Wigan where Shearings is based (I don't know about the other companies) and 65,000 holidays have been cancelled.  The company was 100 years old I believe and born in Oldham.  I suspect there are going to be many similar casualties of this virus.

A friend of mine took a hit in this, it's been on the cards a while and the company was in trouble before Covid hit, but like many who have underlying problems Covid was the last straw.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Son in law was  a Shearings driver UK to Spain until a fee years ago. He reported at the time the difficulties they were in. Falling prices, increasing costs, etc etc. And now this. Even the company's premium brand - Legers -has gone. 

Heard the group was in administration. No hope of saving at least a part of the group? 

Edited by JohnM

Four legs good - two legs bad

Six posts removed. 

• Like 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

2 minutes ago, ckn said:

Six posts removed. 

Fair enough.

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

3 hours ago, JohnM said:

Son in law was  a Shearings driver UK to Spain until a fee years ago. He reported at the time the difficulties they were in. Falling prices, increasing costs, etc etc. And now this. Even the company's premium brand - Legers -has gone. 

Heard the group was in administration. No hope of saving at least a part of the group? 

I think all the companies have been liquidated.  All the staff at Shearings had been furloughed so they'll now be in a right pickle.  Poor sods.

Great shame about Wallace Arnold! An old Leeds firm that took me to the seaside as a kid so many times. Always remember worrying we would never get to The Calls in time to catch the coach to Cleethorpes for the day! Days I remember with great fondness!

On 28/04/2020 at 13:07, Damien said:

Some are worse off but some are far better off. I even know people furloughed who are far better off as whilst on 80% pay they don't have the expenses associated with working.

I read just now that you are correct about this and people are better off. I remembered your post.

I definitely aren't better off. Bills are high with homeworking, family can't work and not furloughed. I've carried on working same hours, doing more in fact at the NHS, yet financially I am worse off.

It's a bit dispiriting reading about people furloughing waiting with money to spend. 

I think the 80% is too high.

Ironically I have finally disagreed with something the Government have done yet everyone else seems to like it ?

• Like 2

Laura Ashley in trouble

Another company that seems to have been in trouble for a while 

Edited by LeeF

1 hour ago, LeeF said:

Another company that seems to have been in trouble for a while 

It's gone into administration at least once in the past decade and, I'm sure, has had 'restructures' and closures outside of that too.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It's gone into administration at least once in the past decade and, I'm sure, has had 'restructures' and closures outside of that too.

It has. I think this will be the final nail....

7 hours ago, Niels said:

I read just now that you are correct about this and people are better off. I remembered your post.

I definitely aren't better off. Bills are high with homeworking, family can't work and not furloughed. I've carried on working same hours, doing more in fact at the NHS, yet financially I am worse off.

It's a bit dispiriting reading about people furloughing waiting with money to spend. 

I think the 80% is too high.

Ironically I have finally disagreed with something the Government have done yet everyone else seems to like it ?

I always thought it was probably a tad on the high side to be sustainable but it is certainly something that I would never criticise the Government for as ultimately it is\was a very good thing that has benefited many people. As someone who is working from home and better off I was never going to take an I'm all right kind of attitude and criticise the Government for giving people too much as I suspect if I was one of the ones on furlough and struggling financially I would have a different perspective.

The Government did a great job in quickly implementing a scheme that benefitted a lot of people and I suspect a lot of judgement calls were made. As I said previously I do know more people who are furloughed who are better off,  than worse off but its a fine line and for some people it still isn't enough either. A lower amount and far more people would be in financial difficulty. I suspect it was very much a short term solution and they didn't realise that potentially 6 months down the line that business could still be closed and going bankrupt anyway.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Damien said:

I always thought it was probably a tad on the high side to be sustainable but it is certainly something that I would never criticise the Government for as ultimately it is\was a very good thing that has benefited many people. As someone who is working from home and better off I was never going to take an I'm all right kind of attitude and criticise the Government for giving people too much as I suspect if I was one of the ones on furlough and struggling financially I would have a different perspective.

The Government did a great job in quickly implementing a scheme that benefitted a lot of people and I suspect a lot of judgement calls were made. As I said previously I do know more people who are furloughed who are better off,  than worse off but its a fine line and for some people it still isn't enough either. A lower amount and far more people would be in financial difficulty. I suspect it was very much a short term solution and they didn't realise that potentially 6 months down the line that business could still be closed and going bankrupt anyway.

Have to agree with most of this. The Govt acted quickly and in the right manner

Like yourself, I thought it was slightly on the high side, given that mortgage holidays could be available as well. I would have liked a bit more available from the pot to help the self-employed more. But......overall generally is good

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Damien said:

I see it the other way. I think it was exactly what was needed for the culture of the UK. If we’d gone 60%, or demanded co-payment, then many companies would have just shrugged and treated it as a bargain to sack them all with a view to re-employment when it was over, but on nice new “modern” contracts and zero continuity of employment. We’re not quite the US in a hire & fire mentality, but neither are we a co-operative working environment like some European countries.

• Like 4

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Just now, ckn said:

I see it the other way. I think it was exactly what was needed for the culture of the UK. If we’d gone 60%, or demanded co-payment, then many companies would have just shrugged and treated it as a bargain to sack them all with a view to re-employment when it was over, but on nice new “modern” contracts and zero continuity of employment. We’re not quite the US in a hire & fire mentality, but neither are we a co-operative working environment like some European countries.

That's true too. As I said I think it was a very line, and as you rightly point small deviations could have had different consequences, and overall I think the Government good job to get that balance right. They probably managed to get the widest benefit possible for both employee and employer in a very short time frame.

20 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Sorry to hear. Fingers crossed he makes it. 

I think the 80% level for furlough is interesting, but I think there is a risk of us living in our own bubbles. It would be interesting to know if there is any research into impact. 

A household on £20k per year for example probably doesn't have the spare income to handle a £4k drop (to use top line numbers). Whilst plenty will benefit from reduced travel and work costs, maybe nurseries etc. plenty will have been on the breadline as it was. They will be the ones visiting food banks etc now. And whilst debt repayment holidays are helpful for many, interest is accruing and people are going into more debt. 

Similarly somebody on £60k a year is losing half of their wage. A lot of people couldnt absorb that. 

There is probably a bit of a sweet spot in terms of salary and circumstances that benefits some, but a lot will be struggling with the loss of income. 

That isn't meant to be critical at all of the scheme which seems very decent. 

• Like 1