coronavirus

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Genuinely good news, providing the processes are in place. We have been out for a couple of hours wandering Edinburgh getting exercise with our 4 year old and we had to come home only due to lack of toilets. 

I know it is a pandemic, but it is lovely walking round the Royal Mile right now... 

IMG_20200615_112537.jpg

Looks so good without all of the tourists who are normally there, like me ??

Edinburghs empty because everyones at a retail park or sports direct!  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

25 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

I didn’t know you were into that. 

#NormalforHastings

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

52 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Edinburghs empty because everyones at a retail park or sports direct!  

Massive queues outside the Leigh Tesco's today ( Sports Direct have a store inside it ) all about 2 feet apart ten minutes before the heavens opened , similarily Leigh town centre , the pedestrian area was packed with various queues all trying to not get in each others way 

3 hours ago, Saintslass said:

It seems New Zealand has two new cases of Covid 19, care of two people given special permission to attend a funeral in the UK.

There is wisdom behind controlling your borders.

It is embarrassing that after 24 days Coronavirus free, the UK infects NZ again.

Great news from BBC Latest news:

Dexamethasone first life-saving coronavirus drug

A cheap and widely available drug called dexamethasone can help save the lives of patients who are seriously ill with coronavirus, UK experts have said.

The low-dose steroid treatment is considered a major breakthrough in the fight against the deadly virus.

It cut the risk of death by a third for patients on ventilators and, for those on oxygen, it cut deaths by a fifth.

The drug is part of the world's biggest trial testing existing treatments to see if they also work for coronavirus.

Researchers estimate that if the drug had been available in the UK from the start of the coronavirus pandemic up to 5,000 lives could have been saved.

Because it is cheap, it could also be of huge benefit in poor countries struggling with high numbers of Covid-19 patients.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-53059487

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Great news from BBC Latest news:

Dexamethasone first life-saving coronavirus drug

A cheap and widely available drug called dexamethasone can help save the lives of patients who are seriously ill with coronavirus, UK experts have said.

The low-dose steroid treatment is considered a major breakthrough in the fight against the deadly virus.

It cut the risk of death by a third for patients on ventilators and, for those on oxygen, it cut deaths by a fifth.

The drug is part of the world's biggest trial testing existing treatments to see if they also work for coronavirus.

Researchers estimate that if the drug had been available in the UK from the start of the coronavirus pandemic up to 5,000 lives could have been saved.

Because it is cheap, it could also be of huge benefit in poor countries struggling with high numbers of Covid-19 patients.

Assuming this pans out, this is stunningly good news.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 hours ago, Damien said:

If that sentence is actually part of the BBC report (I didn't scroll all the way through on the link) then they really are poor.  The drug is available in pretty much every country; it's used for arthritis for one, and it's cheap.  I'm sure the researchers would have actually said something akin to if they had realised that the drug could be effective against Covid from the start then up to 5,000 lives could have been saved.  

Meanwhile, hopefully the impact will continue to be as positive.  Let's hope too that others in the group of drugs which form part of the Recovery programme show promise too.  

12 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

If that sentence is actually part of the BBC report (I didn't scroll all the way through on the link) then they really are poor.  The drug is available in pretty much every country; it's used for arthritis for one, and it's cheap.  I'm sure the researchers would have actually said something akin to if they had realised that the drug could be effective against Covid from the start then up to 5,000 lives could have been saved.  

Meanwhile, hopefully the impact will continue to be as positive.  Let's hope too that others in the group of drugs which form part of the Recovery programme show promise too.  

I wondered if it might be helpful against the virus at the start as it is effective against pneumonia. 

Although the claims are that it is only successful for Covid cases where the patient requires ventilators or oxygen. 

As you say it is widely available for a variety of conditions. 

23 minutes ago, Niels said:

I wondered if it might be helpful against the virus at the start as it is effective against pneumonia. 

Although the claims are that it is only successful for Covid cases where the patient requires ventilators or oxygen. 

As you say it is widely available for a variety of conditions. 

Apparently it is effective against strong immune response so I wonder whether that is an element of what helps with Covid as patients can experience cytokine storm.  Not that I've any idea but when I heard that said about the drug then I just wondered, in an aimless sort of way. ? 

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Well, a fortnight after being informed our flight to Poland was going ahead and a mere 3 days after an email reminding me to reserve seats, the flight's been cancelled. Re-routing or full refund offered - will be taking the latter. 

Which airline is that?

On 16/06/2020 at 21:26, Saintslass said:

Apparently it is effective against strong immune response so I wonder whether that is an element of what helps with Covid as patients can experience cytokine storm.  Not that I've any idea but when I heard that said about the drug then I just wondered, in an aimless sort of way. ? 

Apparently I was correct, according to the scientist in charge of the trial into this drug. ? 

On 16/06/2020 at 21:26, Saintslass said:

Medical commentary is a bit worried about this drug’s hype. It works very well in the most seriously ill of patients but has enough significant risks of its own that it will not be prescribed to any other COVID patient without them being likely to die without it. If you’ve a good chance of survival then you’ll not get it.

Our GP practices have been pushed very hard in the last few days from patients demanding it be prescribed to them. And getting very angry when told “no”.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Just now, ckn said:

Medical commentary is a bit worried about this drug’s hype. It works very well in the most seriously ill of patients but has enough significant risks of its own that it will not be prescribed to any other COVID patient without them being likely to die without it. If you’ve a good chance of survival then you’ll not get it.

Our GP practices have been pushed very hard in the last few days from patients demanding it be prescribed to them. And getting very angry when told “no”.

There was a someone connected to this research on the radio yesterday. He was saying that they’d looked into it and if this had been known about from the start it could’ve saved 5000 lives. That obviously is good news but definitely not some sort of miracle cure that will make this disappear. 

Archived