Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Chris22

Luke Thompson

Recommended Posts

Good on him, i hope he tears it up and continues to give the aussies some back in the mould of previous successful British exports.

I'm already sick of reading comments from aussie fans, genuine quotes mind, that SBW only played so average and dropped the ball so often was due to the low standard of super league players around not getting his level, apparently. 

Just a general observation, but Thompson was quite quiet by his standards in the Lions tour. Even more kudos to him for going down under and wanting to meet that standard every single week and test himself 

Edited by Hughsehhh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Australian side of the story is here... https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/02/04/thompson-leaving-st-helens-to-beef-up-bulldogs-pack/

A quote from McManus

"We are absolutely sure that he will be absolutely sure that he will be absolutely committed to the club and his teammates for the rest of this season.

“There’s no hiding from the fact that this is a bitter disappointment to all of us as Luke has been connected to the club since the age of 11 and has developed into an absolute top player at 24 years old".

One thing I am absolutely sure of is that McManus needs a thesaurus.

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jim Prendle said:

OK, but who has come back?

Its not just the English players. We bring in 10 times more Southern Hemisphere players than go the other way.

Super League players moved to NRL in 2020 - George Williams, Trent Merrin. So the one English player.

NRL players moved to Super League in 2020 - George Burgess, Gareth Widdop, Manu Ma'u, Aiden Sezer, James Maloney, Liga Sau, Sosaia Feki, James Gavet, Mahe Fanua, Matt Prior,  Shaun Kenny Dowall. Others as well.

Yeah, some of those players aren't going to set the world alight but there all top level player for super league. Widdop, Sezer, Maloney could all potentially contend for Man of Steel. What has come in is miles better than what's gone out.

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AB90 said:

Its not just the English players. We bring in 10 times more Southern Hemisphere players than go the other way.

Super League players moved to NRL in 2020 - George Williams, Trent Merrin. So the one English player.

NRL players moved to Super League in 2020 - George Burgess, Gareth Widdop, Manu Ma'u, Aiden Sezer, James Maloney, Liga Sau, Sosaia Feki, James Gavet, Mahe Fanua, Matt Prior,  Shaun Kenny Dowall. Others as well.

Yeah, some of those players aren't going to set the world alight but there all top level player for super league. Widdop, Sezer, Maloney could all potentially contend for Man of Steel. What has come in is miles better than what's gone out.

 

Yep, I think the net result is a stronger Super League this year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

Yep, I think the net result is a stronger Super League this year.

You could easily argue that Widdop, Moloney and Sezer are all currently better half backs than Williams.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think clubs are allowed two marque players this season.  We (Saints) definitely have one, in James Roby, but whether we have two I don't know.  However, I doubt Thompson would have stayed regardless of the cash offered to him.  He's young and as far as I'm aware doesn't have children or other ties to the UK.  So it's more likely he's chosen down under for the experience rather than the money per se (although obviously the money will be nice!).  

I think it's unfortunate that Saints have now lost two extremely good props to the NRL just as those props are entering the peak periods of their careers.  I am very disappointed in Thompson as well as in losing Thompson.  He's been with the club since he was 11 years old and the club has invested a lot in him.  He could have given the club a couple more years at his peak before buzzing off.

I hope he doesn't fail but just now I don't feel particularly partial to wishing him luck either.  I'm just too narked about his decision at present.

Edited by Saintslass
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

I think clubs are allowed two marque players this season.  We (Saints) definitely have one, in James Roby, but whether we have two I don't know.  However, I doubt Thompson would have stayed regardless of the cash offered to him.  He's young and as far as I'm aware doesn't have children or other ties to the UK.  So it's more likely he's chosen down under for the experience rather than the money per se (although obviously the money will be nice!).  

I think it's unfortunate that Saints have now lost two extremely good props to the NRL just as those props are entering the peak periods of their careers.  I am very disappointed in Thompson as well as in losing Thompson.  He's been with the club since he was 11 years old and the club has invested a lot in him.  He could have given the club a couple more years at his peak before buzzing off.

I hope he doesn't fail but just now I don't feel particularly partial to wishing him luck either.  I'm just too narked about his decision at present.

What a bitter take on the whole situation. Saints got as much out him as he got out them - he owes them nothing. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An interesting rumour I saw before suggesting that Warrington have been sniffing around Thompson and were offering a salary that we could not compete with 😲

Edited by Chris22

Twitter: @TrylineBlog 
Latest Blog: How rugby league WILL bounce back from coronavirus! LINK: https://thetryline.blogspot.com/2020/03/coronovirus-and-rlwc-2021.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thompson by all accounts isn’t playing the sport for financial reward; he’s from a very rich family. He’s gone to the NRL to test himself in the toughest RL competition on the planet.

Edited by GeordieSaint
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

What a bitter take on the whole situation. Saints got as much out him as he got out them - he owes them nothing. 

Well,  I did say I was narked.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Saintslass said:

I think clubs are allowed two marque players this season.  We (Saints) definitely have one, in James Roby, but whether we have two I don't know.  However, I doubt Thompson would have stayed regardless of the cash offered to him.  He's young and as far as I'm aware doesn't have children or other ties to the UK.  So it's more likely he's chosen down under for the experience rather than the money per se (although obviously the money will be nice!).  

I think it's unfortunate that Saints have now lost two extremely good props to the NRL just as those props are entering the peak periods of their careers.  I am very disappointed in Thompson as well as in losing Thompson.  He's been with the club since he was 11 years old and the club has invested a lot in him.  He could have given the club a couple more years at his peak before buzzing off.

I hope he doesn't fail but just now I don't feel particularly partial to wishing him luck either.  I'm just too narked about his decision at present.

This is poor. Really really poor.

I'm astonished that people have this mentality. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, AB90 said:

Its not just the English players. We bring in 10 times more Southern Hemisphere players than go the other way.

Super League players moved to NRL in 2020 - George Williams, Trent Merrin. So the one English player.

NRL players moved to Super League in 2020 - George Burgess, Gareth Widdop, Manu Ma'u, Aiden Sezer, James Maloney, Liga Sau, Sosaia Feki, James Gavet, Mahe Fanua, Matt Prior,  Shaun Kenny Dowall. Others as well.

Yeah, some of those players aren't going to set the world alight but there all top level player for super league. Widdop, Sezer, Maloney could all potentially contend for Man of Steel. What has come in is miles better than what's gone out.

 

Yeh the loss/gain has been a good outcome for Super League this year, especially with SBW & Folau thrown in as well.

Some of those NRL players are still in their prime and whilst Widdop, Burgess, Maloney etc may be past their peak they still have a good few years left in them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Saintslass said:

I think clubs are allowed two marque players this season.  We (Saints) definitely have one, in James Roby, but whether we have two I don't know.  However, I doubt Thompson would have stayed regardless of the cash offered to him.  He's young and as far as I'm aware doesn't have children or other ties to the UK.  So it's more likely he's chosen down under for the experience rather than the money per se (although obviously the money will be nice!).  

I think it's unfortunate that Saints have now lost two extremely good props to the NRL just as those props are entering the peak periods of their careers.  I am very disappointed in Thompson as well as in losing Thompson.  He's been with the club since he was 11 years old and the club has invested a lot in him.  He could have given the club a couple more years at his peak before buzzing off.

I hope he doesn't fail but just now I don't feel particularly partial to wishing him luck either.  I'm just too narked about his decision at present.

I personally have pride watching players who I class 'one of our own' playing at a higher level and never begrudge them doing so. It happens in many forms as well. 

Morgan Knowles is from Barrow and Im pretty every person from the town is proud watching him play for Saints. 

When John Bateman/Elliot Whitehead ect play for Canberra I class them as one of our own as its an SL product trying their arm and get excited when they do well. 

If aren't proud of someone coming through your academy, give everything for your club and win trophies and then go on to test himself in the NRL and don't get excited for him and the prospect of watching him I think you have a sad outlook on things. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this guy good ?

What's his average stats per game 

Dunno if dogs are the best club to go too

Canberra roosters storm would be my choices 

How much did he get? At least 500k pa is normal.

Edited by aj1908

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m sure Saints would have promised him marquee money and as others have said his family is apparently very wealthy.

Hes gone because it’s a better league and Sydney has a marginally better way of life than st helens.

He will do very well out there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

I’m sure Saints would have promised him marquee money and as others have said his family is apparently very wealthy.

Hes gone because it’s a better league and Sydney has a marginally better way of life than st helens.

He will do very well out there.

Marginally better than st Helens? Please !

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

Is this guy good ?

What's his average stats per game 

Dunno if dogs are the best club to go too

Canberra roosters storm would be my choices 

How much did he get? At least 500k pa is normal.

He's very good and at 24 will only get better. Will chew up 150m+ go forward and finds his feet for PTB very quickly - absolute machine in defence. As others have said, he's not quite the ball player Graham is/was but I don't think that's what the Dogs wanted him for. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

He's very good and at 24 will only get better. Will chew up 150m+ go forward and finds his feet for PTB very quickly - absolute machine in defence. As others have said, he's not quite the ball player Graham is/was but I don't think that's what the Dogs wanted him for. 

Shame it's the dogs he will have his work cut out for him 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For our Australian friends who want to know what type of player athompson is, I would compare him to Jai Arrow. Not huge for a modern middle forward but immensely strong with a huge engine.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

Saints could have made him a marquee player.

Besides, his family are multi-millionaires. I'm pretty sure he isn't going because he needs more money, more because the NRL is the premier rugby competition in the world. 

Exactly. Saints made him a comparative money offer but he chose to go to the NRL to test himself not purely for money.

Sad to see him go as he's been exceptional for Saints the last few years, but good luck to him in the NRL. He's probably chosen the right time to go to the Dogs with their SC issues coming to an end. They will be building a strong team again over the next few years so they'll be a club on the up. I do think Holbrook should have gone there instead of the Gold Coast, they'll always be a basket case club.


Lets Get Brexit Done !!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, aj1908 said:

Marginally better than st Helens? Please !

You've never been to Sydney I take it ?

Its like most major cities, yes it has some really nice areas but it also has some pretty awful ones, and i'd definitely put the Canterbury area as one of those. It makes St.Helens look like Mayfair its that rough !!

(I will caveat that by saying its 7 years since I lived there so it may have changed a lot - but I doubt it !)

  • Haha 2

Lets Get Brexit Done !!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Saint Toppy said:

You've never been to Sydney I take it ?

Its like most major cities, yes it has some really nice areas but it also has some pretty awful ones, and i'd definitely put the Canterbury area as one of those. It makes St.Helens look like Mayfair its that rough !!

(I will caveat that by saying its 7 years since I lived there so it may have changed a lot - but I doubt it !)

oi i live near canterbury.  its a lovely area.  as long as you dont argue with the wrong person and get stabbed lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, aj1908 said:

oi i live near canterbury.  its a lovely area.  as long as you dont argue with the wrong person and get stabbed lol.

Your right, it wasn't the area, it was the people. My abiding memory was seeing so many drunk people on the streets in Canterbury !


Lets Get Brexit Done !!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

Saints could have made him a marquee player.

Besides, his family are multi-millionaires. I'm pretty sure he isn't going because he needs more money, more because the NRL is the premier rugby competition in the world. 

Who are his family Saint, are they famous?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...