Why are Sheffield playing in Doncaster?

5 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

The Sheffield Eagles home game today is being played at Castle Park, Doncaster....Why? 

What's the current situation with the Olympic Legacy stadium?

Stadium building work started in January. Eagles will move back home for their game on 1st May.

On 16/02/2020 at 15:40, The Daddy said:

The Sheffield Eagles home game today is being played at Castle Park, Doncaster....Why? 

What's the current situation with the Olympic Legacy stadium?

Possibly cos Aston didn't like being charged to play at the Keepmoat a while back?

1 minute ago, Rob Nash said:

Possibly cos Aston didn't like being charged to play at the Keepmoat a while back?

One of the top people at the club has had previous involvement with Donny Knights and to be fair it probably suits the Eagles needs for now till the OLP gets a proper stand. 

Building should have started but it appears not to have.

Maybe it’s related to the Sheffield United ownership? The previous chairman happens to own the construction company responsible for the stadium build.

No one seems to know anything, or those that do are keeping mum.

On 16/02/2020 at 15:46, JonM said:

Stadium building work started in January. Eagles will move back home for their game on 1st May.

Comments on Facebook suggest that it hasn’t started.

4 minutes ago, Maxi mum said:

Comments on Facebook suggest that it hasn’t started.

This is a relatively recent story that suggests it has begun - they could of course be doing work that isn’t necessarily visible yet. Or, possibly more likely, they haven’t had chance to start given recent weather. 

11 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

This is a relatively recent story that suggests it has begun - they could of course be doing work that isn’t necessarily visible yet. Or, possibly more likely, they haven’t had chance to start given recent weather. 

Yes there was a turf cutting ceremony with Mark Aston and Richard Caborn who is the ex MP supposedly responsible for the site development. There isn’t much love between these two though.

The visible progress is a hole that is the size of a garden spade.

You may be right about the weather holding things up.

On 18/02/2020 at 12:01, Rob Nash said:

I didn't realise he paid it himself.I learn something new every time I come onto this forum.

It would seem the previous board members believed what they heard Caborn say.

It now seems more money will need to be paid out so they can play outside of Sheffield once the block of 3 home games at Doncaster,and a cup game at Wakefield have been accounted for,over the next months.

Unless those Chinese workers who can construct hospitals very swiftly can be organised to construct a sports stadium.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-51245156

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

26 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

I didn't realise he paid it himself.I learn something new every time I come onto this forum.

It now seems more money will need to be paid out so they can play outside of Sheffield once the block of 3 home games at Doncaster,and a cup game at Wakefield have been accounted for,over the next months.

Unless those Chinese workers who can construct hospitals very swiftly can be organised to construct a sports stadium.

Although it's still going to take a while to construct which will obviously have a knock on effect for the Eagles this season, don't underestimate the political power of having Sheff Utd Women's on board when compared to previous schemes, particularly with Bramall Lane being a host venue for Womens Euro 2021.

• 1 month later...

Looks like it's been signed off to commence once the Coronavirus has subsided:

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/sheffield-eagles-finally-coming-home-stadium-deal-signed-2519843

10 month build, so assuming that as conservative and this not being a false dawn, completion will likely be Summer/Autumn 2021.

They have the WC games at Bramall Lane next year so as long as they are in by then it will give them the opportunity to build on that. 

The postponement of the season,thus far,has probably saved Sheffield Eagles renting stadia for further home games as they had only scheduled to play the first 3/4  home games elsewhere.

It may be a welcome slice of luck for them.

Hopefully,this is the final delay,and they have the resources to pay to rent stadia for next year,prior to moving 'home'.

However,they have had promises on numerous occasions,before.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

On 20/02/2020 at 10:11, Angelic Cynic said:

We've seen the standard of Chinese equipment 

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Archived