Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DoubleD

Best Forward Pack?

Recommended Posts

Watching the Brisbane game and I was in awe at the talent they have in the forward pack. Flegler is a future Aussie prop, Carrigan is a great prospect and workhorse in the middle, Bullemor is another great prospect and then there’s the stars which have been mentioned before of Fifita, Haas, Pangai Jr, Ofahengaue. 

Really, all they lack is a quality hooker, although Turpin is showing some promise. 

It made me think, what is the best forward pack you’ve come across?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only watch the odd NRL game so can’t really comment but I was really impressed by Flegler and Haas - Brisbane didn’t look the same team when they went off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, LR23 said:

I only watch the odd NRL game so can’t really comment but I was really impressed by Flegler and Haas - Brisbane didn’t look the same team when they went off.

Brisbane had a depleted pack - they didn’t have Ofahengaue, Pangai Jr or Lodge who would all be in their 17. It’s an impressive pack that’s for sure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Wigan pack that played in the 92, 2nd test took some beating.  I watched that game and had forgotten how they gave the Aussie forwards a hammering.  Of course, they couldn’t quite do it in the 3rd test but that was down to the Aussie backs being too strong.

Skerret - Dermott - Platt - McGinty - Betts - Clarke. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

The Wigan pack that played in the 92, 2nd test took some beating.  I watched that game and had forgotten how they gave the Aussie forwards a hammering.  Of course, they couldn’t quite do it in the 3rd test but that was down to the Aussie backs being too strong.

Skerret - Dermott - Platt - McGinty - Betts - Clarke. 

Must say that came into my mind . Hell of an achievement 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I had to choose and could ignore the villains

Cas end of the 60s and Widnes during their cup runs would be admired, hated and impressed with.

If I was picking a set of forwards for my pack I'd probably be changing my mind every two seconds.

 


 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about the best pack your team’s had . Thinking back to 1977 Lancashire Cup final ... 

8. Derek Watts

9. Alan Banks

10. Eddie Bowman 

11. Les Gorley

12. Peter Gorley

13. Billy Pattinson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was fortunate to be at Melbourne for that 1992 test match. It certainly was a game I will never forget. A huge following from the U.K..all singing at the end of the match to the Aussies " Always look on the bright side of life".Wet through with the beer they were throwing at us but well worth it. At the end of that night in our hotel wet through on the outside,wet through on the inside.Stevo, Mal Reilly, Peter Fox, Arthur Bunting,Roger Millward, Len Casey,Eddie Bowman all singing their heads off. You would have thought they were all the best of friends,well they was that night.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Watching the Brisbane game and I was in awe at the talent they have in the forward pack. Flegler is a future Aussie prop, Carrigan is a great prospect and workhorse in the middle, Bullemor is another great prospect and then there’s the stars which have been mentioned before of Fifita, Haas, Pangai Jr, Ofahengaue. 

Really, all they lack is a quality hooker, although Turpin is showing some promise. 

It made me think, what is the best forward pack you’ve come across?

This Brisbane pack is sensational.

Best I remember was Balmain late 90s

Roach

Elias

Hemsley

Sironen

McGuire

Pearce

Edited by Sports Prophet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recall the Wigan pack of the mid-'60s being pretty useful, with the likes of Colin Clarke at hooker, Roy Evans and Brian McTeague, and with Laurie Gilfedder at loose forward; Gilfedder was also a good goalkicker.  It was Evans who ran a lovely line to burst through the Saints defence and score the only try of the game in Wigan's 7-2 cup success on the way to Wembley victory over Hunslet.

All that said, those were my formative years of watching the sport (and being a cherry-and-whites' fan), so I cannot honestly say that my judgement is necessarily reliable!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not necessarily the best, but one that played close to the edge was the Warrington pack of the mid to late 80s; Boyd, Tamati, Jackson, Rathbone and Roberts. The polish being provided by Gregory. 
 

In fairness to them, despite their ‘reputation’ they could play a bit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the Bradford packs of the late 90s were quite something. 

McDermott, Lowes, Vagana, Peacock, Gartner, Forshaw. 

It's not just that, though, it's the fact that Fielden, Anderson and, say, Radford would be coming from the bench. 

For impact across 80 minutes it's hard to beat.


People called Romans they go the house

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, getdownmonkeyman said:

Not necessarily the best, but one that played close to the edge was the Warrington pack of the mid to late 80s; Boyd, Tamati, Jackson, Rathbone and Roberts. The polish being provided by Gregory. 

Yes I thought of this one and then put them aside for reasons like they didn't just overstep the mark they stepped on everyone, eveything and most rules in between ........ awsome enforces though.


 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, getdownmonkeyman said:

Not necessarily the best, but one that played close to the edge was the Warrington pack of the mid to late 80s; Boyd, Tamati, Jackson, Rathbone and Roberts. The polish being provided by Gregory. 
 

In fairness to them, despite their ‘reputation’ they could play a bit.

With the benefit of hindsight, that was a frightening group of 'mongrel' forwards. Totally agree that they all had skill to burn, but why bother eh'. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought the season that David Fairleigh played with Saints in 2001 they had a fantastic pack... including Cunningham, Joynt & Sculthorpe.

Their pack in the 2001 World Club Challenge was.

Fairleigh 

Cunningham 

Nickle 

Joint

Shields

Sculthorpe 

A pretty good pack and the Brisbane pack that day wasn't too shabby either. 

Webcke 

Priddis

Civoniceva

Tallis

Carlaw 

Lee

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MrPosh said:

I think the Bradford packs of the late 90s were quite something. 

McDermott, Lowes, Vagana, Peacock, Gartner, Forshaw. 

It's not just that, though, it's the fact that Fielden, Anderson and, say, Radford would be coming from the bench. 

For impact across 80 minutes it's hard to beat.

Good pack but the pack under fox 8 years b4 was good. Dixon, medley and fairbank as a back 3.


Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Skerrett, Noble ,Hamer, Hobbs ,Fairbank Pendlebury I think I remember correctly.The game was Wigan v Northern 1990 premiership semi final. Northern won 6 nil and I don't think I've ever seen a pack play as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...