Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Bob8

Holiday in West Riding

Recommended Posts

Last year, my wife and I had a holiday at Hebden Bridge at Chez @gazza77. Highly recommended.

We enjoyed it so much that at the end of the year, she would like to go to the area again. Are there any places off the beaten track that might also appeal to her?

  • Like 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bob8 said:

Last year, my wife and I had a holiday at Hebden Bridge at Chez @gazza77. Highly recommended.

We enjoyed it so much that at the end of the year, she would like to go to the area again. Are there any places off the beaten track that might also appeal to her?

Castleford is well off the tourist track, but I'm doubtful as to whether it will appeal......😉

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Willforminis said:

Further along the canal from Hebden bridge between the towns of Mirfield and Dewsbury you could sample the delights of Ravensthorpe

Razorthorpe has its attractions.

Also, it's further along the River Calder from Hebden Bridge, as well as the canal network, and it's often jolly boating weather in the Heavy Woollen District.

Edited by longboard
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bob8 said:

Last year, my wife and I had a holiday at Hebden Bridge at Chez @gazza77. Highly recommended.

We enjoyed it so much that at the end of the year, she would like to go to the area again. Are there any places off the beaten track that might also appeal to her?

Any particular ideas of things she might be interested in? Have you considered heading into the Dales? 

  • Like 1

Please view my photos.

 

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

 

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

 

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, gazza77 said:

Any particular ideas of things she might be interested in? Have you considered heading into the Dales? 

I once took my wife to the dales, she managed to find her way back eventually though.

  • Like 1

the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, longboard said:

Razorthorpe has its attractions.

Also, its further along the River Calder from Hebden Bridge, as well as the canal network, and it's often jolly boating weather in the Heavy Woollen District.

I used to take my car for repairs to a geezer I knew in Ravensthorpe. Sound guy but he was about 70 at the time - and still working - and his dad was always there too. He must have been about 95. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go West young man.

When you crest the Penine ridge you will see the sunny plain of Lancashire laid out before you. In fact, if you go West,  North or South you will find proper Dales ( Derbyshire, Wolds ( Leicestershire) Moors ( Northumberland) Mountains and Lakes ( Cumbria). Lancashire has proper resorts like Blackpool, Morecambe and Southport.

In fact the world opens up to you when you get out of Yorkshire. A county that God made and quickly decided that he made a mistake and is eroding it away as fast as he can.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Johnoco said:

I used to take my car for repairs to a geezer I knew in Ravensthorpe. Sound guy but he was about 70 at the time - and still working - and his dad was always there too. He must have been about 95. 

Sounds like Ravensthorpe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Bearman said:

Go West young man.

When you crest the Penine ridge you will see the sunny plain of Lancashire laid out before you. In fact, if you go West,  North or South you will find proper Dales ( Derbyshire, Wolds ( Leicestershire) Moors ( Northumberland) Mountains and Lakes ( Cumbria). Lancashire has proper resorts like Blackpool, Morecambe and Southport.

In fact the world opens up to you when you get out of Yorkshire. A county that God made and quickly decided that he made a mistake and is eroding it away as fast as he can.

Was that before or after he created the World's biggest cul- de-sac, the title of a Talking Heads song (A590) Barrow😱

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont think anyone is going anywhere this year.


Sex and Money are like Oxygen

They're not important until you're not getting enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

Was that before or after he created the World's biggest cul- de-sac, the title of a Talking Heads song (A590) Barrow😱

To quote Reg Holdsworth in Coronation Street. " Have you ever been to Barrow in Furness? You drive to the end of the world and its 50 miles further on."

  • Like 1

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went to Brockadale near Smeaton recently, went via Stapleton for a country run. It is a beautiful area and a walk round Brockadale is superb. The idea that we have no beautiful places left is ridiculous. We also go to Fairburn Ings, St Aidens and the woods near Selby, called Brayton woods. If you enjoy a walk in the countryside these places are very near and are superb. Accommodation is available in all areas but will be unavailable until the crisis is over. But you can still have a walk even now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Johnoco said:

I used to take my car for repairs to a geezer I knew in Ravensthorpe. Sound guy but he was about 70 at the time - and still working - and his dad was always there too. He must have been about 95. 

were it on island at fir cottage , i used to have car lot on spen service station for 15 years,lived at back of albion pub too when we had one hell of a rugby team coached my sammy morton.used to be a super place to live in 80-90s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, silverback said:

were it on island at fir cottage , i used to have car lot on spen service station for 15 years,lived at back of albion pub too when we had one hell of a rugby team coached my sammy morton.used to be a super place to live in 80-90s.

Honestly I can’t remember, it was just a lock up. The guy didn’t live there any road, he had a house (or more likely houses) elsewhere. This was early 2000’s anyway 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Bearman said:

Go West young man.

When you crest the Penine ridge you will see the sunny plain of Lancashire laid out before you. In fact, if you go West,  North or South you will find proper Dales ( Derbyshire, Wolds ( Leicestershire) Moors ( Northumberland) Mountains and Lakes ( Cumbria). Lancashire has proper resorts like Blackpool, Morecambe and Southport.

In fact the world opens up to you when you get out of Yorkshire. A county that God made and quickly decided that he made a mistake and is eroding it away as fast as he can.

You are a clueless buffoon A.k.a lancastrian

Edited by terrywebbisgod

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Who would have thought that this might now be the most desirable property in the land until the virus has gone ?

Farm.jpg.2c18fd83fe3b6db03a6f683047502cbc.jpg

 

There’s an urban myth about that building in that the owner refused to move and they had to build the M62 around it. But the truth is that the land was just unsuitable and they had to give it a swerve did old McAlpines Fusiliers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

There’s an urban myth about that building in that the owner refused to move and they had to build the M62 around it. But the truth is that the land was just unsuitable and they had to give it a swerve did old McAlpines Fusiliers. 

Perfectly true ....  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-41842608

It was another farm where the owner was against moving but eventually had to do so and that story has since been wrongly associated with the one still there now.

Edited by RL does what Sky says
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, terrywebbisgod said:

You are a clueless buffoon A.k.a lancastrian

Just being honest. If you dont like the message dont shoot the messanger. Its a fact that the truth often hurts.


Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, silverback said:

were it on island at fir cottage , i used to have car lot on spen service station for 15 years,lived at back of albion pub too when we had one hell of a rugby team coached my sammy morton.used to be a super place to live in 80-90s.

Ravensthorpe used to have a cracking bowling green, very tricky and a team who bowled it well. 
It had to close 8 to 10 years ago, membership had dwindled due to the animosity and threat from the newly arrived residents. They saw a lovely piece of grass and thought it was only right they could play football, cricket or have barbecues on the green.

A shame really, I used to enjoy my yearly visit and play against old acquaintances and meet new ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Just being honest. If you dont like the message dont shoot the messanger. Its a fact that the truth often hurts.

Point proved.


Thank you for your valuable contribution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Moose said:

Ravensthorpe used to have a cracking bowling green, very tricky and a team who bowled it well. 
It had to close 8 to 10 years ago, membership had dwindled due to the animosity and threat from the newly arrived residents. They saw a lovely piece of grass and thought it was only right they could play football, cricket or have barbecues on the green.

A shame really, I used to enjoy my yearly visit and play against old acquaintances and meet new ones.

was it up park by rugby pitch, or the one at the old ravensthorpe WMC, savile town fields had to close as folks were leaving broken bottle just under the soil/grass, seemed to work after some terrible cuts to players and is now a play area for locals.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

p.s. brother in law were a yorkshire champion at lower hopton WMC,steven pinfield.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, silverback said:

was it up park by rugby pitch, or the one at the old ravensthorpe WMC, savile town fields had to close as folks were leaving broken bottle just under the soil/grass, seemed to work after some terrible cuts to players and is now a play area for locals.

The WMC, a Mosque has been built there now.

I played a game on Saville green just before it closed, we had to abandon it due to having stones lobbed at as over the wall.

Steve Pinfield is a well known and respected name in the crown green bowling world, didn’t you ever fancy having a go?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...