Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Total Rugby League

Wolfpack face seven-figure losses

Recommended Posts

Toronto Wolfpack are facing a loss in excess of £10 million as a result of the Coronavirus outbreak. A loss in attendance money, commercial revenue...

View the full article

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure how they get the £10mln loss figure, there's no way TWs fixed outgoings are that high, even including SBW's salary and most of their Canadian costs have been cut. 

But overall, I expect them to be at least 3mln short in revenues that they might never get back if they have to play out the season in the UK. 

Will Argyle put his hand even deeper into his pocket? If he doesn't the club will have to be liquidated and he'll lose everything he's invested so far. I think he'll stay on board.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

I'm not sure how they get the £10mln loss figure, there's no way TWs fixed outgoings are that high, even including SBW's salary and most of their Canadian costs have been cut. 

But overall, I expect them to be at least 3mln short in revenues that they might never get back if they have to play out the season in the UK. 

Will Argyle put his hand even deeper into his pocket? If he doesn't the club will have to be liquidated and he'll lose everything he's invested so far. I think he'll stay on board.

£10m is more than the turnover of all but one of the SL clubs so hard to believe it's right.

On the other hand, without reading the article, seven figures is £1m not £10m so perhaps someone in Brighouse has forgotten to carry the one somewhere.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK here's an interesting scenario. We know that TW's squad is too small, because they've had to pay over the odds to players to entice them to do all the travelling. 

If they end up playing the whole season in the UK, could they negotiate a cut in salaries to reflect that and use the new cap headroom to bulk up the squad? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm amazed Argyle keeps this going, CV19 would actually give him the perfect excuse to exit. SL have shown nothing but contempt for the project anyhow.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, ojx said:

I'm amazed Argyle keeps this going, CV19 would actually give him the perfect excuse to exit. SL have shown nothing but contempt for the project anyhow.

Obviously Argyle is a keen league man but there is a limit to what the guy will put up with. The WP have been treated

badly from the start.Depriving them from of their share of the Sky money was petty to say the least and I can't imagine any other sport acting that way.

SL is  worried about the money coming in from Sky,surely  their comm on sense should tell them their product is not as good as it should be.

Bring in a couple of teams from France and Canada and you have a comp with more appeal to tv  networks.

  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ojx said:

I'm amazed Argyle keeps this going, CV19 would actually give him the perfect excuse to exit.

They’ve laid off their Canadian staff so maybe he is?

6 hours ago, M j M said:

£10m is more than the turnover of all but one of the SL clubs so hard to believe it's right.

On the other hand, without reading the article, seven figures is £1m not £10m so perhaps someone in Brighouse has forgotten to carry the one somewhere.

Shaw arrives at that figure by adding Toronto’s outgoings (mostly player and staff costs) to lost gates & commercial revenue due to Covid-19. 

Sonny Bill is supposed to be on £2.6m/year and they were already at full cap with two marquees, so perhaps it’s not a million miles off when it’s all totted up.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

OK here's an interesting scenario. We know that TW's squad is too small, because they've had to pay over the odds to players to entice them to do all the travelling. 

If they end up playing the whole season in the UK, could they negotiate a cut in salaries to reflect that and use the new cap headroom to bulk up the squad? 

The salary cap is a mess. Impossible to.be continued for this season and almost impossible for next (with a knock on for the season after)

One of the reasons that P×R just cannot be continued 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

They’ve laid off their Canadian staff so maybe he is?

Shaw arrives at that figure by adding Toronto’s outgoings (mostly player and staff costs) to lost gates & commercial revenue due to Covid-19. 

Sonny Bill is supposed to be on £2.6m/year and they were already at full cap with two marquees, so perhaps it’s not a million miles off when it’s all totted up.
 

That is absolutely a million miles off. You cant add your costs to the lost revenue and pose that as a loss. That's mental

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

The salary cap is a mess. Impossible to.be continued for this season and almost impossible for next (with a knock on for the season after)

One of the reasons that P×R just cannot be continued 

You always seem to want to cast the Lower League teams adrift. Whatever the issue, you always want to do away with P+R.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

That is absolutely a million miles off. You cant add your costs to the lost revenue and pose that as a loss. That's mental

An accountant would agree!
A rugby league journalist wouldn’t!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gooleboy said:

You always seem to want to cast the Lower League teams adrift. Whatever the issue, you always want to do away with P+R.

Well it doesnt work very well to start with.

Definitely doesnt work when you change the structure of the season, extend the season, change the salary cap rules(which you would have to to extend the season) and have next to no time between one season ending and one starting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

An accountant would agree!
A rugby league journalist wouldn’t!

I can see why a journo would want a headline grabbing figure. Why anyone would pay attention to it though... 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would a seven figure loss not be 1,000,000+ rather than 10,000,000?

  • Like 3

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, frank said:

Obviously Argyle is a keen league man but there is a limit to what the guy will put up with. The WP have been treated

badly from the start.Depriving them from of their share of the Sky money was petty to say the least and I can't imagine any other sport acting that way.

SL is  worried about the money coming in from Sky,surely  their comm on sense should tell them their product is not as good as it should be.

Bring in a couple of teams from France and Canada and you have a comp with more appeal to tv  networks.

Wasn't it a part of their original business plan that they wouldn't require any Sky money for X years? How you equate that with "being treated badly from the start" eludes me.

"Business plan" is the pertinent element her, I believe.

As for Argyle, he didn't go into this simply out of a love for RL, although he is a big fan. He clearly stated that he believed it to be a proper commercial project, offering profit and assett growth. This is how he built the consortium (not just his own money). In addition, given the Chinese turndown, I can't imagine mining stocks are riding high at present. He will undoubtedly be considering his options, quite sensibly.


Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

That is absolutely a million miles off. You cant add your costs to the lost revenue and pose that as a loss. That's mental

MoK has always struggled with figures.

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bob8 said:

Would a seven figure loss not be 1,000,000+ rather than 10,000,000?

It could be £10.000.00.
Or it could be £6,000,000 (> 10,000,000 Canada dollars)

  • Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

As for Argyle, he didn't go into this simply out of a love for RL, although he is a big fan. He clearly stated that he believed it to be a proper commercial project, offering profit and assett growth. This is how he built the consortium (not just his own money). In addition, given the Chinese turndown, I can't imagine mining stocks are riding high at present. He will undoubtedly be considering his options, quite sensibly.

Aye and in a major recession would you be willing to continue supporting a cash-burning business with no assets other than a squad of 25 (?) largely overpaid has-beens? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Aye and in a major recession would you be willing to continue supporting a cash-burning business with no assets other than a squad of 25 (?) largely overpaid has-beens? 

Far too many clubs would fit into that description I fear.

  • Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Toronto would have been facing a 7 figure loss this season before Coronavirus 

Is the correct answer:)

Gentlemen (Apologies to any ladies on this forum) ALL investment into Rugby League has to be welcomed the game needs it.

Its down to DA how he wishes to spend his money after he has paid his taxes if he wishes to spend several million on a rugby league club then I take my hat off to him, as I also take my hat of to anyone who puts money into rugby league right down to the 80 year old pensioner who pays his 10 pounds at the gate to watch his club who maybe are now in League 1.

To quote George Osborne WE ARE ALL IN IT TOGETHER:) 

Edited by ATLANTISMAN
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Far too many clubs would fit into that description I fear.

Not really. Most clubs have a stadium or at least a training ground. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...