Why does RL ignore Germany?

2 minutes ago, Rhinoferg said:

It ain't that cheap in London unless you find a wetherspoons, and then it is watered down.

Cardiff the original and still the best place for magic weekend......funny though how the Welsh interest seems to have faded now their SL effort has ended. So Germany has no chance unless you get someone splashing the cash like in Canada...

So lets move the Magic to Toronto.

There will actually be some numpties who will agree with that.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Rhinoferg said:

It ain't that cheap in London unless you find a wetherspoons, and then it is watered down.

Cardiff the original and still the best place for magic weekend......funny though how the Welsh interest seems to have faded now their SL effort has ended. So Germany has no chance unless you get someone splashing the cash like in Canada...

Nobody’s suggesting Magic should be in London though, although for ease of access it would be better than Dublin. 

If the RFL had any money and/or a strategy I’d like to see them put some resource into North rather than South Wales, though of course it won’t happen. 

29 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

The average good drinking Rugby League fan couldn't afford to get drunk in Dublin. 

These are the 10 most expensive pubs in Dublin. I would say every city in the UK can list 10 pubs that sell a Guinness for over £5/€6 a pint, plus bare in mind most of these offer live entertainment at no additional cost. Some places in Dublin are under €4/£3.50, it’s certainly no more expensive than London. Accommodation, food, transport and attractions  costs are all lower. I bet you can even fly to Dublin for less than the train fare to London.

1470CBBA-DC95-4317-AA28-DDCEF6C4FDE9.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

These are the 10 most expensive pubs in Dublin. I would say every city in the UK can list 10 pubs that sell a Guinness for over £5/€6 a pint, plus bare in mind most of these offer live entertainment at no additional cost. Dublin is certainly no more expensive than London. Accommodation, food, transport and attractions  costs are all lower. I bet you can even fly to Dublin for less than the train fare to London.

You can get a plane across Europe and back for less than a train fare for most major routes in the UK, that’s not London’s ‘fault’. 

9 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

These are the 10 most expensive pubs in Dublin. I would say every city in the UK can list 10 pubs that sell a Guinness for over £5/€6 a pint, plus bare in mind most of these offer live entertainment at no additional cost. Some places in Dublin are under €4/£3.50, it’s certainly no more expensive than London. Accommodation, food, transport and attractions  costs are all lower. I bet you can even fly to Dublin for less than the train fare to London.

It must have got cheaper over the years then because last time I was there around 10 years ago it was €7 for a guiness in Temple Bar and at least €6 elsewhere in the centre. That is blatantly where fans would go as well, people aren’t going to get a bus to the suburbs to look for a cheap pint. Also flights may be cheaper than the train but how many flights are there from the North of England, not enough to take 1000s of people over. 

9 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

There’s very few grounds that suit Magic Weekend. St James’ Park and the Millennium are two that definitely do and if it was possible, I’d alternate between the two. 

Alternating is good, keeps things fresh. 

10 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It must have got cheaper over the years then because last time I was there around 10 years ago it was €7 for a guiness in Temple Bar and at least €6 elsewhere in the centre. That is blatantly where fans would go as well, people aren’t going to get a bus to the suburbs to look for a cheap pint. Also flights may be cheaper than the train but how many flights are there from the North of England, not enough to take 1000s of people over. 

Getting to Dublin would be low down on the major prohibitions to having a game there. It has multiple flights a day from even a relatively small airport like Leeds/Bradford at relatively low prices. Its not ridiculously more expensive than London and the pubs are much better.

I think Cardiff, Newcastle and Manchester (city) are ideal personally as stadiums and locations. Places like Dublin or south of France/Catalonia have potential also. Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Hamburg or Munich for example shouldn't be discounted out of hand.

20 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Getting to Dublin would be low down on the major prohibitions to having a game there. It has multiple flights a day from even a relatively small airport like Leeds/Bradford at relatively low prices. Its not ridiculously more expensive than London and the pubs are much better.

I think Cardiff, Newcastle and Manchester (city) are ideal personally as stadiums and locations. Places like Dublin or south of France/Catalonia have potential also. Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Hamburg or Munich for example shouldn't be discounted out of hand.

I can get train fare and a hotel for Newcastle most weekends for £100-150 depending on what I want to spend. When Magic rolls into town, those hotels double, triple and quadruple in price. I can only assume that it would be the same for flights to Dublin and hotel rooms there, too. 

3 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I can get train fare and a hotel for Newcastle most weekends for £100-150 depending on what I want to spend. When Magic rolls into town, those hotels double, triple and quadruple in price. I can only assume that it would be the same for flights to Dublin and hotel rooms there, too. 

Nay, you don't think anyone would take advantage of a captive audience do you?

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I went to Dublin in 1997 and it hasn't gone up much in price,plus it is a lot better stuff than what they export

54 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

It took less than a page for a thread about RL in germany for the usual.suspects to be setting up and knocking down straw men about Dublin and Toronto 

Well done guys, keep up the good work

Yep, always the same posters 

22 minutes ago, Oxford said:

So the morals of this story so far are: don't drink Guiness, it's always London's fault and Dublin isn't in Germany!

I'm not sure we have done the last one... Dublin has been mentioned and for magic and on a post about expanding to Gemrnay but its exact location and whether or not it is part of Germany I dont believe has been sorted.... can we start an EU/Greater Germany debate?

1 minute ago, RP London said:

Dublin has been mentioned and for magic

And the last moral is Total RL threads have no subject, have any number of subjects or posters don't know how to stay on track and are blaming how long they've been cooped up with the family!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

The Temple Bar itself is a Pub on Temple Bar.  Cracking New Years eve and worth every penny.

6 minutes ago, Oxford said:

And the last moral is Total RL threads have no subject, have any number of subjects or posters don't know how to stay on track and are blaming how long they've been cooped up with the family!

The evidence is on the TO thread that I was accused of trolling.  I started it to discuss TWP but it veered off an yet another tangent out of my control.

1 minute ago, Lowdesert said:

was accused of trolling

LD that's usually reserved for when you've disagreed rather than because of what you've said. Mind you bringing up TWP on a T O Thread you were asking for it, no argument!

By the way is it it just this forum or do you do multiple trolling?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 minute ago, Oxford said:

LD that's usually reserved for when you've disagreed rather than because of what you've said. Mind you bringing up TWP on a T O Thread you were asking for it, no argument!

By the way is it it just this forum or do you do multiple trolling?

None intentionally.

I've had some weird nights in Germany.  Usually after one of those Zombie drinks.

9 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

The Temple Bar itself is a Pub on Temple Bar.  Cracking New Years eve and worth every penny.

Some people seem to expect to drink in the main centre of a capital city, with free live music, and pay no more for a beer than the cost of a pint of carsleburg in Wakefield’s working men’s clubs. 

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

And your point is?

1 minute ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Some people seem to expect to drink in the main centre of a capital city, with free live music, and pay no more for a beer than the cost of a pint of carsleburg in Wakefield’s working men’s clubs. 

Wakefield can be quite pricey on a weekend, I find Leeds much more inexpensive (if you know where to look).

One thing I would say about Dublin, the pints might be 100% more in price, but they're worth it for the 100% more pub.

8 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

No they don’t. 

Archived