Will the Championship be resuming?

20 hours ago, dkw said:

Arent part time players classified the same as contractors etc, so self employed?

No.They are PAYE when they play part time.Some players in the Championship are self employed with their main work.

I know a self employed electrician who plays in the Championship 

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

The issue is that a lot of clubs ambition is to exist, they have few fans, few ST sales and rely on away support  to put cash in tills. The Government comes along offers to pay 80% of wages, it’s like all birthdays came at once for 70% of clubs

There is an element of truth in that I think.Survival is the ultimate aim.
I think right now as we speak survival has to be the name of the game.

But once this is over then I think it will be time for the conversation as to where our next destination is especially with what is coming ie the renewal of the current TV deal and the likelihood of the money being much less than now. And the possibility that current  Championship and Championship 1 clubs are frozen out.

32 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

How about for those who are the unfortunate ones who can't afford much, that clubs do a 'honesty box', those who can afford to pay do so, but those who can't pay what they can when going to a game resumes, I know some will 'try it on' but those with any feelings for their club definatley wouldn't.

It would be interesting to see what would happen, those who have a few spare bob on occasion may well even pay extra to get in n help keep the side in business.

9 minutes ago, Nearenough said:

It would be interesting to see what would happen, those who have a few spare bob on occasion may well even pay extra to get in n help keep the side in business.

Aye, for me a concession price would be £16.00 I wouldnt be hanging around awaiting my £4 change.

2 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

No.They are PAYE when they play part time.Some players in the Championship are self employed with their main work.

I know a self employed electrician who plays in the Championship 

Cheers, for some reason I thought they were all classed as Self employed when it came to tax etc.

18 hours ago, Griff said:

Is it 0?

?

I think there may be 2 or 3, but no more.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

15 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

The issue is that a lot of clubs ambition is to exist, they have few fans, few ST sales and rely on away support  to put cash in tills. The Government comes along offers to pay 80% of wages, it’s like all birthdays came at once for 70% of clubs

I think that is a bit simplistic SC and dismissive of those that you might regard as "lesser" clubs than your own. Existence might be an ambition (it is mine personally, for example) but not an objective. These clubs have the vision of providing competitive RL for their fans and communities at whatever level they are able to. I really can't see anything wrong with that.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

8 hours ago, Sainthamish said:

I agree. My point is that this furlough limbo, may help the finances of many clubs and is good to keep many players getting paid during the lockdown, but it isn't good for the game.   Routes to getting the season back on should have been investigated with more effort rather than only setting up working groups to look into it 2 months after the game went into it's hiatus.

It's expected that the RFL will approve training in groups of six with no contact in line with the government statement from the other day.  Therefore, amateur teams will be able to start some form of team training whereas, pro teams can't because the players are furloughed and training is work from a players perspective.

Just what plans could anybody have done before now ? 

7 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Aye, for me a concession price would be £16.00 I wouldnt be hanging around awaiting my £4 change.

Sure that £4 would arrive in the club's coffers ??

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Part time clubs should be ok in the short term. They have minimal outgoings with no players to pay due to the furlough scheme. Long term as we head into recession may be a different story

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

6 hours ago, SL17 said:

You read to much into things.How’s about supermarket profits up by 14%..? 

You are right on one thing the retention scheme has saved many. 

The economy being one. But the majority of businesses have gained profit, as they had no loss.

The whole world will fall into recession will it? Or only a country that had set aside a pot just for an eventuality as this.

I would probably say the £16m gained by the RFL will be used on clubs who own their stadia.

That sort of puts the clubs renting at an advantage.

Without turning it into an economic debate all of the supermarkets are PLCs majority shares will be owned by pension pots and foreign investors. The economy is driven more than by supermarkets, if you were to invest in a supermarket you would invest in technology which ironically could cost jobs and affect amongst the lowest paid in society 

34 minutes ago, HarrogateKnights said:

Without turning it into an economic debate all of the supermarkets are PLCs majority shares will be owned by pension pots and foreign investors. The economy is driven more than by supermarkets, if you were to invest in a supermarket you would invest in technology which ironically could cost jobs and affect amongst the lowest paid in society 

Supermarkets mainly sell food it is an essential we can't do without, to my knowledge no one has yet died because of a lack of Rugby.

15 hours ago, DEANO said:

Part time clubs should be ok in the short term. They have minimal outgoings with no players to pay due to the furlough scheme. Long term as we head into recession may be a different story

Those that own their own grounds still have significant outgoings and no income from other commercial activities which have also come to a halt. The more peripatetic clubs might actually be benefitting but still won't be happy not to be playing.

23 hours ago, DEANO said:

Part time clubs should be ok in the short term. They have minimal outgoings with no players to pay due to the furlough scheme. 

Not true from August 1st.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Let’s say that for an average Championship club,no one club in particular,let’s say that it costs say a sum in excess of £25K PER MONTH to pay 17 players their contract money as they would be coming off furlough so therefore the clubs would have to pay them,and to pay for the other running costs that are involved in the running of the club.

Now with only the central funding monies coming and no gate money,match day sponsors etc ,clubs will very soon find themselves in financial trouble if they resume the season at this level.

You do not need to be a mathematician to work it out,and I am certainly not one as my maths aren’t the best.

But even I know resuming the season at this level is a non starter.

And I say that with sincere regret.

17 hours ago, SL17 said:

You read to much into things.How’s about supermarket profits up by 14%..? 

You are right on one thing the retention scheme has saved many. 

The economy being one. But the majority of businesses have gained profit, as they had no loss.

The whole world will fall into recession will it? Or only a country that had set aside a pot just for an eventuality as this.

I would probably say the £16m gained by the RFL will be used on clubs who own their stadia.

That sort of puts the clubs renting at an advantage.

Really? I very much doubt that is the case. Most businesses will have lost money over the last 3-4 months

1 hour ago, SL17 said:

They are furloughed are they not?

Yes it is my understanding that most if not all players are on furlough,even if part time.

The only players that might not be furloughed are those on Pay as you play deals.

6 hours ago, SL17 said:

Guys there is an opportunity to open the game. Why are people sat waiting?

Again! Why are people waiting for answers   Instead of creating them?

What exactly are you doing, other than moaning about it on an internet forum?

8 hours ago, SL17 said:

So who’s going to pay for all the tests

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

9 hours ago, SL17 said:

If it was that easy, don't you think people like Derek Beaumont, Mark Campbell and Ralph Rimmer would have already done it?

9 hours ago, SL17 said:

The essence of RL is that it is a spectator sport, this being the reason for the 1895 split. Without spectators there is no Championship RL.

What are you proposing to open, exactly?

Archived