Jump to content
The Daddy

Will the Championship be resuming?

Recommended Posts

All depends on whether some sort of crowds are possible in the Autumn. Current planning seems to suggest they are, so, maybe it will be played after all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem for the Championship is that the numbers don't add up.

It's unlikely that there'll be any spectators so no revenue but the clubs would have costs.  Not only the costs they already have but more costs from testing and social distancing measures.  I appreciate that a few clubs have invested heavily in recruitment to go all out for promotion but it'd make more financial sense to slip them a few quid in compensation.

And then there's the ethical issue of whether we should be using testing capacity for games that the public can't even watch. The requirement isn't just once per player.  It's twice a week for each player, something like 1500 tests per club.

We mustn't let our hearts rule our heads.

On the other hand, things are changing all the time.  Who knows what the position will be in two months' time ?

  • Like 3

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it will be a no go . Players are part time and have other jobs they cant afford to take risk .

  • Like 3

Chief Crazy Eagle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know where people are getting the idea from the crowds are going to be permitted in the Autumn.

Yes, there are people touting the idea on forums, but all of actual statements 'coming down from above' are saying that it is more likely to be 2021 before we can have crowds. 

And that's assuming there is no second peak, which - judging by the stupidity we are seeing from people  - looks inevitable.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, paulwalker71 said:

I don't know where people are getting the idea from the crowds are going to be permitted in the Autumn.

Yes, there are people touting the idea on forums, but all of actual statements 'coming down from above' are saying that it is more likely to be 2021 before we can have crowds. 

And that's assuming there is no second peak, which - judging by the stupidity we are seeing from people  - looks inevitable.

Its not just on forums. Virtually every leader of the game has suggested October as an optimistic aim for crowds, with the delayed finishes into November, December and January all posited on the basis of Crowds being increasingly likely by those dates.

Regardless, a second peak is probably going to display chances of happening before we even restart in August, by which point we'll all be wiser as to the impact anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The difficulty is that no club will want to unfurlough their staff and begin training until a firm plan is in place - but we probably won't know even by the beginning of July what the autumn is going to look like. It's going to be a bit of a leap in the dark when the decision to go ahead is made. Can clubs afford to take that risk? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have posted before and maintain my belief that you will have socially distanced crowds (about 10% of capacity)  by late August / September that will allow ST holders in.

What would prevent the Championship restarting though will be a decision from on high on Promotion and Relegation. If there is no P&R what's the point of the season ?


?

Quote

The dominant ideas in society are always and everywhere the ideas of the ruling class. And always and everywhere they portray us as stupid, untrustworthy with bad motives. Show us respect sir. We gave you everything progressive there is. We gave you democracy. We demand some too.

 
Eddie Demsey RMT
 
Quote

There were 17.4m people who voted to leave the European Union.

"Any attempt to try to cast their vote aside, as if they didn’t mean it or didn’t understand the consequences, whereas everybody else did, is a bit of a slur on the individuals who took the time to vote, many of them for the first time

Ian Lavery - Labour party chair  - 29th March 2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

I have posted before and maintain my belief that you will have socially distanced crowds (about 10% of capacity)  by late August / September that will allow ST holders in.

What would prevent the Championship restarting though will be a decision from on high on Promotion and Relegation. If there is no P&R what's the point of the season ?

I was thinking about this scenario and season ticket holders: does it really help the Championship clubs financially? 

The clubs already have the season ticket holders money and, if the season was cancelled, I reckon a fairly large percentage of them would write off the money if it helped their clubs survive. 

Whereas if the Championship season goes ahead, season ticket holders will expect to be able to access the full slate of games they've already paid for, while the clubs have to start paying their players and staff again. 

Very little extra money unless clubs think they're going to get a significant walk up crowd - which seems unlikely in the current circumstances - whereas they're taking on significant extra cost. Still looks iffy to me. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Its not just on forums. Virtually every leader of the game has suggested October as an optimistic aim for crowds, with the delayed finishes into November, December and January all posited on the basis of Crowds being increasingly likely by those dates.

 

3 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

I have posted before and maintain my belief that you will have socially distanced crowds (about 10% of capacity)  by late August / September that will allow ST holders in.

Can anyone point to anything the Government have said that supports this view?

The Huddersfield Town chairman was quoted on the BBC website recently saying that 'they' (presumably football chairman)had been told by the Government that there wouldn't be crowds until 2021.

I get that the RFL and Club Chairman hope that there could be crowds in a few months. Of course they are going to be hoping for that. But I don't think that hope is based on anything concrete (that I've been able to locate anyway)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

 

Can anyone point to anything the Government have said that supports this view?

The Huddersfield Town chairman was quoted on the BBC website recently saying that 'they' (presumably football chairman)had been told by the Government that there wouldn't be crowds until 2021.

I get that the RFL and Club Chairman hope that there could be crowds in a few months. Of course they are going to be hoping for that. But I don't think that hope is based on anything concrete (that I've been able to locate anyway)

Thats fine if you want official government advice, it isn't what you said originally though. I agree government advice has been thin on the ground but up until a few weeks ago we were unsure when sport would get the green light to go. Clearly things have the capability to advance and regress in the space of weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can’t see crowds being allowed, plus I can’t see and promotion or relegation as Super League isn’t even sure of a full season, therefore I don’t see anything below Super League starting till next year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To me I think the situation is fairly clear. Championship clubs can't afford to play in front of empty stadiums so there will be no resumption until crowds are allowed. That isn't going to happen for some time. By the time it does happen, in what sense would it be the same season if the season were to resume? 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The harsh reality is that Championship clubs simply cannot afford to resume playing.

Firstly the players would have to come off furlough.The clubs would then have to pay their salaries, and I will assume at whatever their contract states,basic money etc etc.A huge expense at the best of times being frank.

Then no doubt the games will be being played behind closed doors.No gate money. And probably no match day sponsors money either.Paying the wages is therefore a big problem without that money.

And then of course there will be the twice weekly testing for Coronavirus that will have to be paid for privately at say about £3K per week or more often.A huge expense without gate money etc on top of players salaries.

And the players are not full time so I cannot see their employers willing to allow their employees play rugby league at semi pro level,just in case someone catches it.

 And I very much doubt that the RFL will give Championship and Championship 1 clubs the extra money as it will per club no doubt be six figure sum per club.... and the money they have loaned off HM Government will not be available for that as that money will have to be paid back by the RFL and any club that gets a loan off the RFL.

And another thing to throw in the mix is Toulouse,they would have to”relocate”their games here as I believe the French Government has banned all or most sporting events until September.

Basically for the vast majority of the clubs in the Championship and Championship 1 clubs it is simply just not financially viable for them to resume the season.

And it does not take a genius to work that one out.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Might an adapted ‘Hetherington Plan’ of playing until January work for the Championship? Perhaps there could be a post-furlough mini-comp in November, December and January for interested clubs? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Might an adapted ‘Hetherington Plan’ of playing until January work for the Championship? Perhaps there could be a post-furlough mini-comp in November, December and January for interested clubs? 

The issue is I think finance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

The issue is I think finance.

That and the number of teams actually able to make it work, those who share soccer grounds probably can’t, Toulouse will depend on Government policy at that time, so who would be left? Leigh, Fev, London, possibly York and Bradford. Could a 5 team comp work? If so what’s at stake?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Oldbear said:

That and the number of teams actually able to make it work, those who share soccer grounds probably can’t, Toulouse will depend on Government policy at that time, so who would be left? Leigh, Fev, London, possibly York and Bradford. Could a 5 team comp work? If so what’s at stake?

The Covid-19 Cup. Winners receive a week stay in Barnard Castle.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Oldbear said:

That and the number of teams actually able to make it work, those who share soccer grounds probably can’t, Toulouse will depend on Government policy at that time, so who would be left? Leigh, Fev, London, possibly York and Bradford. Could a 5 team comp work? If so what’s at stake?

York ground share with York City FC although groundsharing isnt the issue, with them as the season does cross over usually anyway, as mentioned above if players and staff are furloughed to October and you have a lot of trade/self employed players is it worth the risk for the players for one and two: financially not viable to play behind closed doors. Potentially you could play a December/January Yorkshire & Lancashire cup or play a revised 1895 Cup. Dewsbury & Batley would be OK in that list too. Championship and League 1 generally are cheap options to watch with most season tickets paid in advance and for under £200 often with really cheap concessions with York under 16s are free and during lockdown they have been doing a club lottery which will more than makeup for the squadbuilder 50/50 draw lost income and with them not making money from beer sales at Bootham crescent I am happy to wait until the new stadium which may as well be next year now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Oldbear said:

That and the number of teams actually able to make it work, those who share soccer grounds probably can’t, Toulouse will depend on Government policy at that time, so who would be left? Leigh, Fev, London, possibly York and Bradford. Could a 5 team comp work? If so what’s at stake?

Bradford have been clear that they want the season to end, and that having to play behind closed doors could cripple the club (again)

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/sport/18472787.bradford-bulls-fear-financial-impact-closed-doors-games/

So don't put the Bulls on any lists of 'willing participants' in some sort of mini-league

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I think the clubs should be more pro active in finding a way to get the season back up and running, within government guidelines, instead of sticking with the furlough limbo that they're in.  I was a bit disappointed to hear that the working groups were only set up a couple of weeks ago.  I reckon the working groups should have been set up, to investigate routes to restarting the season, weeks before they did.

Although the players are on furlough it is likely that some will be facing financial hardship since no match or win bonus are being paid.  This could account for the main rugby income of a significant number of players though out the championship and most players in league 1.  We're at risk of losing players as they seek to make up this loss through work outside of rugby.  It may not be so easy for these players to return to flexible hours or to drop their hours to fit rugby back in.

Also, if the season does get cancelled then I guess the clubs will be liable to repay the sponsors and season ticket holders back unless they have contractual clauses protecting them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Sainthamish said:

Personally, I think the clubs should be more pro active in finding a way to get the season back up and running, within government guidelines, instead of sticking with the furlough limbo that they're in.  I was a bit disappointed to hear that the working groups were only set up a couple of weeks ago.  I reckon the working groups should have been set up, to investigate routes to restarting the season, weeks before they did.

Although the players are on furlough it is likely that some will be facing financial hardship since no match or win bonus are being paid.  This could account for the main rugby income of a significant number of players though out the championship and most players in league 1.  We're at risk of losing players as they seek to make up this loss through work outside of rugby.  It may not be so easy for these players to return to flexible hours or to drop their hours to fit rugby back in.

Also, if the season does get cancelled then I guess the clubs will be liable to repay the sponsors and season ticket holders back unless they have contractual clauses protecting them.

So you're going to put up the finances to test and put on the games then ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

The Covid-19 Cup. Winners receive a week stay in Barnard Castle.

And the runners-up get a fortnight in....(insert your least favourite 'heartland' venue!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...