State of Origin may permanently move to end of season

eal

What does the international game hold for UK and Europe in general if SOO is moved to the end of the season permanently as Peter Vlandys is suggesting? Good luck getting the Kangaroos to tour in the proposed mid-season international window.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve never liked clubs playing games around Origin and even some players doubling up and playing two games in a matter of days. Origin always comes across as huge to me. The coverage and pre-game hype draws you in and the Origin concept is big enough for it to be its own standalone events and the only way you’re getting that would be at the end of the domestic season. 

That said, I don’t think they’re daft in the NRL and they do recognise the importance of the International game, so I’m not sure how they’d have both and still have enough of an off-season for its players to recover. 

1 hour ago, 17 stone giant said:

I'd want to wait and see what his plans were for the international game, if this idea went ahead.

At a push you'd get some Tonga/PI matches tied in around the same time. Anything other than that ... nah.

I'd be surprised if they lost TV viewers from moving it but others may know better.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

At a push you'd get some Tonga/PI matches tied in around the same time. Anything other than that ... nah.

I'd be surprised if they lost TV viewers from moving it but others may know better.

Other than an International calendar set in stone? Oh, how terrible that would be. 

17 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Other than an International calendar set in stone? Oh, how terrible that would be. 

No opportunities for matches in the northern hemisphere.

Sounds tremendous.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

20 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Without Australia in it it would be a damp squib though. 

In your mind perhaps but I’d be chomping at the bit for Samoa v Tonga. 

15 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

No opportunities for matches in the northern hemisphere.

Sounds tremendous.

Not necessarily. 

29 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

In your mind perhaps but I’d be chomping at the bit for Samoa v Tonga. 

Not necessarily. 

Tonga v Samoa mid way through the NRL season wouldn’t be played in the UK though. In fact I doubt any SH side would tour over here. 

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Tonga v Samoa mid way through the NRL season wouldn’t be played in the UK though. In fact I doubt any SH side would tour over here. 

I’m not sure what you’re on about. Which isn’t a first. 

England’s arrogance is not a concern for the NRL, nor should it be. They have a proper international calendar now (and would continue to do so if Origin was moved to the end of the season), we have teams playing out of amateur rugby union grounds and England barely playing a game. 

3 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I’m not sure what you’re on about. Which isn’t a first. 

England’s arrogance is not a concern for the NRL, nor should it be. They have a proper international calendar now (and would continue to do so if Origin was moved to the end of the season), we have teams playing out of amateur rugby union grounds and England barely playing a game. 

Nice snide opening comment. Anyway no idea where England’s arrogance (perceived by you) comes into it, the fact is SOO moving to the end of the season would mean England would rarely  play any SH sides, once every two years (away) at the absolute best. That would leave us with Wales and France to play. Maybe you couldn’t care less about that but I suspect you’d be in the minority. 

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

If its held on Sundays it would have a massive audience. The only way that could impact this will be the players wanting to celebrate premiership victory and mad Monday's.

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Nice snide opening comment. Anyway no idea where England’s arrogance (perceived by you) comes into it, the fact is SOO moving to the end of the season would mean England would rarely  play any SH sides, once every two years (away) at the absolute best. That would leave us with Wales and France to play. Maybe you couldn’t care less about that but I suspect you’d be in the minority. 

It wouldn’t necessarily mean that. Not in the slightest. But this is my point. The arrogance here about the England national side is baffling. 

The Australians allegedly care little for the International game, except, there is an International calendar set in stone annually and includes mid and post season games. That’s far more than we’ve got. The post season International games, much like the mid-season games now, between NZ, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga and PNG would continue with Origin moving to October/November time. That doesn’t mean England cannot play these sides. If anything, it creates a gap because Australia are less likely to play as many games due to Origin taking place and there’s still opportunity to bring nations over here and/or travelling to the Southern Hemisphere. 

But hey, while we’ve got this chip on our shoulders, we’ll continue to see the International game in the northern hemisphere played at amateur rugby union grounds while England are too stupid to play at all. 

The professional international game in the northern hemisphere is pretty much just England though. If we want to play anyone meaningful it’s the Southern Hemisphere and that will mean going over there every year. The PIs are unlikely to have the resources for a tour and that just leaves New Zealand, again. 

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

The professional international game in the northern hemisphere is pretty much just England though. If we want to play anyone meaningful it’s the Southern Hemisphere and that will mean going over there every year. The PIs are unlikely to have the resources for a tour and that just leaves New Zealand, again. 

I’ve advocated binning Scotland, Ireland and Wales before, I agree, it’s mainly England. England should be playing France at least once a year. 

Playing anyone meaningful in International RL has meant the Southern Hemisphere for the best part of 30-40 years. This won’t change with Origin moving. Nations could quite easily play here. Its all about sponsorship and broadcasting. It’s as much an excuse as “Australia don’t care about International Rugby League”. 

9 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I’ve advocated binning Scotland, Ireland and Wales before, I agree, it’s mainly England. England should be playing France at least once a year. 

Playing anyone meaningful in International RL has meant the Southern Hemisphere for the best part of 30-40 years. This won’t change with Origin moving. Nations could quite easily play here. Its all about sponsorship and broadcasting. It’s as much an excuse as “Australia don’t care about International Rugby League”. 

I’d like to see England play France more too, maybe alternating the venue each year. Wales I think could be a legitimate side, if they restricted to just people born in or who’ve lived in Wales for a decent amount of time, but agreed Ireland and Scotland are pointless - I’d rather watch amateur sides made up of real Irish and Scotsmen than the current lot of English and Aussies.

Archived