State of Origin may permanently move to end of season

eal

Won't happen....just V'landys shooting his mouth of as usual.

Origin has been tried on Sundays a few years ago wasn't as successful.

Had the ashes continued with the growth it had upto 1994 I dare say it would have been bigger then origin.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, rlno1 said:

Won't happen....just V'landys shooting his mouth of as usual.

Origin has been tried on Sundays a few years ago wasn't as successful.

Had the ashes continued with the growth it had upto 1994 I dare say it would have been bigger then origin.

It was booked in for a Sunday this year too. In what way was last year’s Sunday Origin not successful?

I think the NRL could leverage NSW and Qld to boost the Kangaroos brand. Someone earlier mentioned incorporating NSW and Qld into a series against other PI nations.

A post season two or three week series for NSW and Qld against tier 2 nations as above, following into a Kangaroos series or 4 nations would really increase public interest in the Kangaroos and the international game.

19 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

I think the NRL could leverage NSW and Qld to boost the Kangaroos brand. Someone earlier mentioned incorporating NSW and Qld into a series against other PI nations.

A post season two or three week series for NSW and Qld against tier 2 nations as above, following into a Kangaroos series or 4 nations would really increase public interest in the Kangaroos and the international game.

Or just have the Kangaroos play those tier 2 countries... Countries playing states screams small time and undermines international Rugby League. 

As we currently struggle to get the Kangaroos to play end of season matches as is and have complaints of too many games I don't see how 3 NSW and Queensland games against tier 2 countries plus 3 Kangaroos games will ever be a goer anyhow. 

14 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

It won't happen, International football will have to take preferance,  BUT if as you say Vlandys gets his way then the insular thinking the Aussies have been accused of for a long time will reach it's pinnacle.

not quite harry see what he actually says about international rugby league and SOO qualification

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Or just have the Kangaroos play those tier 2 countries... Countries playing states screams small time and undermines international Rugby League. 

As we currently struggle to get the Kangaroos to play end of season matches as is and have complaints of too many games I don't see how 3 NSW and Queensland games against tier 2 countries plus 3 Kangaroos games will ever be a goer anyhow. 

How is that any different to the UK pretending it's three different countries?

5 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

It was booked in for a Sunday this year too. In what way was last year’s Sunday Origin not successful?

I was referring to 2001 when all 3 were played on a Sunday night, the only time the whole series has done so.

As a one off game in the series to shorten it is OK. But not all three.

V`iandys and Gould are tight and I have heard Gould say repeatedly on different occasions of the importance of International Rugby League and SL. These two are important points of difference with our main rival.

They will be well aware of the dilemma of players having to choose between SOO and National teams. Possibly having SOO at the end of the year will make that decision easier for those affected. They can play for their home nation mid-year and again at the end of the year.

I am not convinced they are going to move it however, this may just be an an attempt to deflect the headlines away from the pitiful circus this week of where the afl gf is going to be played this year.   

5 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

If Origin does become an end of season competition, there should be a Four Nations every year at the same time with 4 of New Zealand, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji and PNG taking part. The Nation not taking part can travel to play games against England and France. 

Exactly, there’s possibilities there. It wouldn’t be the death knell of International Rugby League, like some wish. 

There’s scope for what you say, a five/six nations competition, tours and tests both here and down under. 

10 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

If Origin does become an end of season competition, there should be a Four Nations every year at the same time with 4 of New Zealand, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji and PNG taking part. The Nation not taking part can travel to play games against England and France. 

So Australia absent themselves from international rugby league in perpetuity.

Meanwhile, England get to play against "whichever side isn't in the Four Nations ... and France".

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

22 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Meanwhile, England get to play against "whichever side isn't in the Four Nations ... and France".

That’s not been suggested anywhere. NRL Grand Final in early October/late September, Origin for three weeks and then November, as is the case now, would be for Internationals, of which Australia would be present in. That’s what Vlandys has said in that video attached to this thread.

But hey, they’re the arrogant ones. 

8 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

If they choose to play origin in the international season that’s up to them. Nobody had said they can’t play, only other Nations can and should play each other during origin. 

4 hours ago, POR said:

not quite harry see what he actually says about international rugby league and SOO qualification

I clicked on that video link expected to be disappointed but what I actually heard is someone who wants to develop the profile of the international game and make the Green and Gold jersey the pinnacle of the Australian sport again.

There was no mention of choosing between Origin and International sport - in fact he specifically said that Origin should not be a barrier to international growth and players should be free to represent both their Polynesian country of heritage (or birth) and their State in SOO if they decide.

None of what was said in this video is negative for international League.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I clicked on that video link expected to be disappointed but what I actually heard is someone who wants to develop the profile of the international game and make the Green and Gold jersey the pinnacle of the Australian sport again.

There was no mention of choosing between Origin and International sport - in fact he specifically said that Origin should not be a barrier to international growth and players should be free to represent both their Polynesian country of heritage (or birth) and their State in SOO if they decide.

Exactly but till people stop feeding Gledhill’s delusions of grandeur and actually read/listen to things themselves, we’ll continue on this cycle. 

We have Bob Elstone and I want to support him but he’s absolutely clueless and doing a great invisible man impression at the minute. 

Would players really play SOO and then head of the UK for a tour. I reckon most Origin players would sit out the international fixtures. And who could blame them if they have battled through the playoffs and Origin back-to-back!

4 hours ago, The Rocket said:

V`iandys and Gould are tight and I have heard Gould say repeatedly on different occasions of the importance of International Rugby League and SL. These two are important points of difference with our main rival.

They will be well aware of the dilemma of players having to choose between SOO and National teams. Possibly having SOO at the end of the year will make that decision easier for those affected. They can play for their home nation mid-year and again at the end of the year.

I am not convinced they are going to move it however, this may just be an an attempt to deflect the headlines away from the pitiful circus this week of where the afl gf is going to be played this year.   

I saw you put the puzzled emoji on my reply earlier Rod, regarding Vlandys when I said what are his intentions for International Rugby League, I do not know if you are aware but the Inter'l Board had GB touring Aus in our Autumn of '23, I consider that International teams should be the best a country or selector can provide and not requesting player's make up their mind if they want to play in a domestic comp or to represent your country, to my mind there is only one answer to that! Who does not want to represent their country it is the biggest honour any player at whatever the sport happens to be they can hope to acheive.

I would have made the trip for the '23 test series no question under normal circumstances, but if the strongest possible Australian team is not competeing, I will just stay at home instead.

23 minutes ago, eal said:

Would players really play SOO and then head of the UK for a tour. I reckon most Origin players would sit out the international fixtures. And who could blame them if they have battled through the playoffs and Origin back-to-back!

Yes I could definitely blame them, surely an International Jersey beats all else.

8 hours ago, MEXICO WILL PAY said:

How is that any different to the UK pretending it's three different countries?

We're definitely 3 kingdoms, England and Wales, Scotland, and (Northern) Ireland, with distinct legal codes and identities that decided to compete internationally between themselves first in most cases. England v Scotland accounts for some of the earliest internationals in many sports. 

Its only in places we compete against other non British nations first that the UK/GB comes about.

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Which would instantly turn SOO into a laughing stock and kill it dead.

So maybe some of you guys should be applauding the moves V'landys is making.

4 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

Which would instantly turn SOO into a laughing stock and kill it dead.

So maybe some of you guys should be applauding the moves V'landys is making.

Didn’t turn into a laughing stock when Tonie Carroll was turning out for Qld & NZ

Archived