Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Robthegasman

Championship and Championship 1 2021

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Griff said:

And yet the sport remains 90+% amateur.

Absolutely, but this thread is about the >10% that are deliberately not.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

I think that there could well be a huge rethink as soon as the Super League season is over.

 And quite honestly I would not be surprised if the”Super League”becomes 2 divisions of 8 ie a Super League”Elite”division and a Super League”One”ie 4 clubs from the current Championship going into a Super League”One”division.

And the rest of the part time clubs form maybe 2 regional divisions perhaps?

There’s no way Super League clubs would vote to relegate a third of its clubs. There’s also very few people (if any at all) who want to see teams play each other 3/4 times a season in the league either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, yipyee said:

My oh my it so is, no one pays to watch 7 year olds, no one invented sport for people to watch and make money off.

The problem now is its become a money making thing.

It really has become a chicken and egg situation.

Look at the origins of cricket with the gifted amateurs vs proffessionals to see more

The origins of cricket were as a vehicle for betting between the landed gentry.

  • Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

The origins of cricket were as a vehicle for betting between the landed gentry.

So not to create jobs for players then.

Did they look around and say listen chaps there are no paying punters today do we wont be bothering!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, yipyee said:

So not to create jobs for players then.

Did they look around and say listen chaps there are no paying punters today do we wont be bothering!

You referred to the origins of the game, didn't you? 

Try "A Social History of English Cricket" by Derek Birley.

 

Now, back to RL.

 


Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

You referred to the origins of the game, didn't you? 

Try "A Social History of English Cricket" by Derek Birley.

 

Now, back to RL.

 

I did in terms of sport wasnt created to provide jobs but if you cant read between the lines fair enough

Back to RL, thats what we were on about with an example comparing to another sport, not to nit pick at another sport

Now back to the 21st century

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

There’s no way Super League clubs would vote to relegate a third of its clubs. There’s also very few people (if any at all) who want to see teams play each other 3/4 times a season in the league either. 

I definitely wouldn't want to play each other 3/4 times a season but as a championship fan I would rather we started Easter weekend in Mid march/April than 1st weekend of February. Personally I think the season needs to be shorter or better organised out of the top flight even if that means 1 division but divided for less travelling I would be in favour. Before the entrance of Ottawa and New York things have to be sorted otherwise realistically if things went a set way with P&Rs you could have 3 Cumbrian teams, Toronto, New York, Ottawa, London and Toulouse in the 2nd tier in 3 years. That's more than half of the teams in the league! I am in favour of expansion but that's taking it too far! Where Super League would be M62 corridor plus Catalans 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

There’s no way Super League clubs would vote to relegate a third of its clubs. There’s also very few people (if any at all) who want to see teams play each other 3/4 times a season in the league either. 

Indeed, it’s bad enough with 12 teams and loop fixtures. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, yipyee said:

So not to create jobs for players then.

No - they already had jobs.  As coachmen, butlers, footmen, farm workers ....

It's a mistake to try to apply today's standards to the world even 50 years ago, let alone 250.

  • Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/09/2020 at 15:52, Griff said:

No - they already had jobs.  As coachmen, butlers, footmen, farm workers ....

It's a mistake to try to apply today's standards to the world even 50 years ago, let alone 250.

Erm my point is thatthey should just play not that theres no point if theres no crowd there.

Imagine your local team ready for kick off... come on lads theres no point playing theres no one here to watch!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, yipyee said:

Erm my point is thatthey should just play not that theres no point if theres no crowd there.

Imagine your local team ready for kick off... come on lads theres no point playing theres no one here to watch!

They would be amateurs.  Playing for their own entertainment.  There would be no "duty" to play.

The whole scenario would be different.

  • Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/09/2020 at 12:05, HarrogateKnights said:

I definitely wouldn't want to play each other 3/4 times a season but as a championship fan I would rather we started Easter weekend in Mid march/April than 1st weekend of February. Personally I think the season needs to be shorter or better organised out of the top flight even if that means 1 division but divided for less travelling I would be in favour. Before the entrance of Ottawa and New York things have to be sorted otherwise realistically if things went a set way with P&Rs you could have 3 Cumbrian teams, Toronto, New York, Ottawa, London and Toulouse in the 2nd tier in 3 years. That's more than half of the teams in the league! I am in favour of expansion but that's taking it too far! Where Super League would be M62 corridor plus Catalans 

I agree that starting the season later is the correct thing as you would expect the weather to be better, and yes with a better planned season.

 I think the issue is what would you do with the divisions.That is the difficult one.

You could have a Championship of say 16 clubs where all teams play each other once and then divide the division top 8 bottom 8 where the teams play each other again once,that would be 22 league games in total.The problem is we would lose 7 or 8 clubs. And what would I wonder happen to them?

It is a mess at the moment.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/09/2020 at 12:05, HarrogateKnights said:

I definitely wouldn't want to play each other 3/4 times a season but as a championship fan I would rather we started Easter weekend in Mid march/April than 1st weekend of February. Personally I think the season needs to be shorter or better organised out of the top flight even if that means 1 division but divided for less travelling I would be in favour. Before the entrance of Ottawa and New York things have to be sorted otherwise realistically if things went a set way with P&Rs you could have 3 Cumbrian teams, Toronto, New York, Ottawa, London and Toulouse in the 2nd tier in 3 years. That's more than half of the teams in the league! I am in favour of expansion but that's taking it too far! Where Super League would be M62 corridor plus Catalans 

I know I'm not Championship fan but I'd be in favour of the Championship starting earlier on the basis that the window for signing out of contract players opens in June/July and is basically done by the time any promoted club can confirm they're up, severely hampering their chances for the next season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

I know I'm not Championship fan but I'd be in favour of the Championship starting earlier on the basis that the window for signing out of contract players opens in June/July and is basically done by the time any promoted club can confirm they're up, severely hampering their chances for the next season.

If only the clubs knew what their budgets would be for the following season then this might be possible. In reality this can almost be the last thing that the RFL decide upon.

  • Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

If only the clubs knew what their budgets would be for the following season then this might be possible. In reality this can almost be the last thing that the RFL decide upon.

Its not just that though, Super League players want to play in Super League don't they. And despite what Fev have said there's no way we can have a part time club in Super League or a part time club can go fully pro for Super league in an off season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/09/2020 at 12:05, HarrogateKnights said:

I definitely wouldn't want to play each other 3/4 times a season but as a championship fan I would rather we started Easter weekend in Mid march/April than 1st weekend of February. Personally I think the season needs to be shorter or better organised out of the top flight even if that means 1 division but divided for less travelling I would be in favour. Before the entrance of Ottawa and New York things have to be sorted otherwise realistically if things went a set way with P&Rs you could have 3 Cumbrian teams, Toronto, New York, Ottawa, London and Toulouse in the 2nd tier in 3 years. That's more than half of the teams in the league! I am in favour of expansion but that's taking it too far! Where Super League would be M62 corridor plus Catalans 

So start at Easter and end when ?

How many games are you suggesting they play ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We can plan to start at Christmas if we like but the reality is that crowds won't be back until the Government say so.

Without crowds, I don't know whether it'd be worth playing. I don't have the access to the detailed budgets of every single club that Craiq seems to have.

Whether we get crowds depends on how the infection figures go.  On the one hand, figures seem to be rising alarmingly.  On the other hand, are we not just testing more folk ?

It may well be we start in March or Easter (Good Friday is 2 April next year).   If we start at the beginning of March, I dare say we can shoe-horn the February games into the schedule over the season.   If we start in April, we may have to cut down the number of games or take the play-offs down to two rounds or summat.  I suspect that starting on Boxing Day is pie in the sky but - hey - things can change in days.

We'll just have to wing it.  The 2020 $uperleague 20 game programme looked doable six weeks ago.   Now it looks like a bit of a shambles.  Nobody's fault - it's just how it is.

 

  • Like 2

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

April for me we need a decent break and come out with ALL GUNS BLAZING:) 

Paul

Some of our boys will certainly have all guns blazing.

They qualify for the Winter Fuel Allowance.

  • Haha 1

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Griff said:

They would be amateurs.  Playing for their own entertainment.  There would be no "duty" to play.

The whole scenario would be different.

Bit like league 1 oh thats this thread

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I know I'm not Championship fan but I'd be in favour of the Championship starting earlier on the basis that the window for signing out of contract players opens in June/July and is basically done by the time any promoted club can confirm they're up, severely hampering their chances for the next season.

But then, if you were London, Huddersfield, Hull KR and Wakefield last year, none of those sides could have planned for 2020 until September, so they would then be hampered. It works both ways and has repercussions in Super League and in the Championship. 

Unless you move the transfer window or start both seasons at the same time so that all can have a fair crack at transfers, I can’t see how it could be done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

perhaps to help the clubs be more prudent we could go back to clubs not been able to spend more than 50% of income on players wages or even reduce it to 40% given additional costs and debts that will have built up 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

But then, if you were London, Huddersfield, Hull KR and Wakefield last year, none of those sides could have planned for 2020 until September, so they would then be hampered. It works both ways and has repercussions in Super League and in the Championship. 

Unless you move the transfer window or start both seasons at the same time so that all can have a fair crack at transfers, I can’t see how it could be done. 

It's a reflection of how shallow our playing pool is.

  • Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

So start at Easter and end when ?

How many games are you suggesting they play ?

Personally I would merge the 2 divisions of Championship and League 1 and based on a ranking system have a new restructure of what will then be 4 divisions of 7 teams in each home and away with playoffs from winner of each pool. I would have of the overseas teams in each pool. You play 6 home and away could easily have the 1895 Cup seeded locally in earlier rounds to keep the interest. 

Edited by HarrogateKnights

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HarrogateKnights said:

Personally I would merge the 2 divisions of Championship and League 1 and based on a ranking system have a new restructure of what will then be 4 divisions of 7 teams in each home and away with playoffs from winner of each pool. I would have one of the overseas teams in each pool. You play 6 home and away could easily have the 1895 Cup seeded locally in earlier rounds to keep the interest. 

Even though I am not a massive fan of Union, Pro 14 are making that work with 2 conferences with teams from South Africa, Italy, Scotland, Wales and Ireland. I think some lessons could be learnt 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...