State of Origin Game 1 Match Thread

Sadly again no post match analysis from Sky , did " Joey" say as he has previously " they dont get it they just dont get it "

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Came across as a really good match on the radio.  Not sure whose commentary BBC 5 live sports extra used but it was top notch.

The lead commentator laid it out well and seamlessly slipped in messages received from listeners. 

Crowd sounded loud, unless the commentators were sat in amongst them.

1 hour ago, Rupert Prince said:

How can be call that time with 1 second still on the clock?  The ball was heeled with the clock still running.

They all do that now. It`s part of the general media-induced ref paranoia. If they allow the play to be completed (as they legally should), they have a vague alarm-bell-ringing fear that it might be a crunch moment and they could get the blame for something. Safest option is to blow the whistle, draw a line, get off the park, and breathe a sigh of relief that at least for that play the media won`t be coming after you.

5 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

They all do that now. It`s part of the general media-induced ref paranoia. If they allow the play to be completed (as they legally should), they have a vague alarm-bell-ringing fear that it might be a crunch moment and they could get the blame for something. Safest option is to blow the whistle, draw a line, get off the park, and breathe a sigh of relief that at least for that play the media won`t be coming after you.

Thank you.  I have no axe to grind about either team.  But there was 1 second left when the ball was heeled and I'm amazed there was was no comment made.

What is it about that Maroon (mar-oon NOT mar-ohn) shirt that so inspires those who wear it? Qld were immense today and Gould hit the nail on the head with his comments about Bennett's inspirational half-time gee-ups. Mind you, a backroom of Alfie, Mal and the old man would get you to slaughter your first born if asked. Freddie and Brandy are novices in comparison. 

In many respects the game was won on the white board and the training paddock. NSW's backroom are two levels below. 

On the pitch Qld's pack tore NSW's a new one. Papalii and Friend are known performers but this season Welch has really done the biz, and again today he excelled. Before the game I genuinely felt that Qld's pack, despite having fewer 'big names' were the more in-form of the two. Even Hess, the weakest 'mar-oon' link stepped up. (prediction... 2021 will see him re-discover his mojo). 

Cleary and Keary? Yadda, Yadda, Yadda. Natch. 

Munster and DCE played 'em for most of the match, both intelligent heads up players (but with' Yes Mate' Munster it's probably only footballing intelligence!). 

Gagai is one of my favourite players. The guy has Queensland written through him like Blackpool in a stick of rock. You could play him at prop against NSW and he'd still come up with 9/10.

The second half belonged to the Penrith substitute, Kurt Capewell, the Sunshine State's Caped Crusader. That shot on the Fox had the NSPCA calling. John's had the banana kick: Cape well has the 'Wow-that-hit-my-foot' kick. 

Qld left nothing in the tank. 

As for NSW... who cares. 

It's bizarre, but I'm passionate for Qld, despite being from Carlisle, Cumberland, England. Why? Maybe it's the word 'Wales' in NSW. 

Been busy so just watched the recording, NSW ambushed in the second half. Qld played it just perfect after the break, dismantled the Blues to Bennett's orders. In the first half I thought it was Cook who made the difference as the Half's were poor throughout, with nothing to work off he couldn't do anything in the second.

I was amazed when Cordner passed his HIA with his recent record same with Christian Welsh, they are 2 player's who's future you have to be concerned about with the knocks they take in every game.   He's been one of the best but Ray Warren really should be put out to pasture, the game's too quick for him now, it's error after error and take Gus with him too, they remind me of the two old codgers arguing in the US at present.

12 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

He's been one of the best but Ray Warren really should be put out to pasture, the game's too quick for him now, it's error after error and take Gus with him too, they remind me of the two old codgers arguing in the US at present.

that could be the worst statement i have ever read on these forums 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

27 errors in the game according to NRL.com. sums it up for me, lots of effort but poor execution a lot of the time today.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Funny we spent time talking about the way rep teams there at times fit in the best players and count on their quality to adapt , but both Wighton and King Gutho were very very average , targeted in defence - and found wanting -  and largely peripheral in attack . I’d also be surprised if Cody Walker isn’t much more involved next week 

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

27 errors in the game according to NRL.com. sums it up for me, lots of effort but poor execution a lot of the time today.

It was an enjoyable game but a game very poor on quality. It also seemed to lack the intensity of normal Origin games. Bennett won it for Queensland with his brilliant, big game, grind it out tactics. Fittler is only marginally less of a joke than Walters as a coach. Great player, poor coach. NSW just didn't seemed fired up, maybe they were complacent. They were rubbish in the first half and went in 10-0 up. All the back line of NSW, bar Addo-Carr, were awful.

NSW should be wiping the floor of Queensland with their roster..............overall a very disappointing game (if still enjoyable due to the closeness).

19 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

It also seemed to lack the intensity of normal Origin games.

I thought this also . It seemed pretty low key for an Origin . The physicality , execution and intensity weren’t at top Origin levels , and I don’t know how many was there but they didn’t ( from the coverage ) provide much atmosphere . I’m not sure how the Blues managed to blow that so spectacularly , they had the roster to win comfortably and they had the lead , but just looked devoid of plan , creativity , edge and ideas in the second half . Maybe they get spooked by Queensland , I don’t know , and it’s between their ears . Either way it’s a game they should have won and controlled from in front - but the tries they gave away were horrendous from their perspective . Fittler doesn’t exactly look like a tactical genius , more a motivator , but he certainly was wanting there and Bennett schooled him 

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I thought this also . It seemed pretty low key for an Origin . The physicality , execution and intensity weren’t at top Origin levels , and I don’t know how many was there but they didn’t ( from the coverage ) provide much atmosphere . I’m not sure how the Blues managed to blow that so spectacularly , they had the roster to win comfortably and they had the lead , but just looked devoid of plan , creativity , edge and ideas in the second half . Maybe they get spooked by Queensland , I don’t know , and it’s between their ears . Either way it’s a game they should have won and controlled from in front - but the tries they gave away were horrendous from their perspective . Fittler doesn’t exactly look like a tactical genius , more a motivator , but he certainly was wanting there and Bennett schooled him there

On the atmosphere, it did appear that way but it's difficult to judge from the TV - it could be the production. Or it could be the Oval nature of the field with the crowd further away (that has an effect at SCG). I'd be interested to hear @Adelaide Tiger thoughts as I think he attended

12 hours ago, Graham said:

Hope Origin returns there when these strange times are over (hopefully) when the ground can be full.

The game certainly came alive in that second half, giving you plenty to cheer about.

Good to hear from you, AT.

The aerial shots of the ground we got on TV were amazing.

Good to see a traditional cricket score board that was shown and commented on.

Are you from Darrington near Pontefract?  As when I saw your ‘logo’ in blue I initially thought you were from NSW.

Adelaide Oval is a beautiful ground where they have incorporated heritage with the new build a few years ago.  Been to the MCG and while it has history the stands IMHO have no unique character.

4 hours ago, DoubleD said:

On the atmosphere, it did appear that way but it's difficult to judge from the TV - it could be the production. Or it could be the Oval nature of the field with the crowd further away (that has an effect at SCG). I'd be interested to hear @Adelaide Tiger thoughts as I think he attended

We were sat in the upper tier of the South Stand and whilst the noise in first half was muted the noise certainly cranked up and reverberated around the South Stand in the second half with chants of ‘NSW’ and ‘Queenslander’.  The nature of using cricket grounds means that where spectators are sat in the open the noise just evaporates away.

P.S. Not one shout of ‘gerrem onside’ which I found extremely disappointing 😄

17 hours ago, DavidM said:

Funny we spent time talking about the way rep teams there at times fit in the best players and count on their quality to adapt , but both Wighton and King Gutho were very very average , targeted in defence - and found wanting -  and largely peripheral in attack . I’d also be surprised if Cody Walker isn’t much more involved next week 

New South Wales have two of the most exciting and natural centres in the world in Zac Lomax and Stephen Crichton.  I would love to see these two get out there in game 2 rather than players out of position. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

New South Wales have two of the most exciting and natural centres in the world in Zac Lomax and Stephen Crichton.  I would love to see these two get out there in game 2 rather than players out of position. 

That backline looked disjointed offensively and vulnerable defensively . Queensland had good success on the fringes . I think Crichton should have played originally , Fittler will stick with Wighton I’d guess . I also think that’s two big games in a row that Cleary hasn’t really taken a grip of , I thought he was poor . He never really got any control of that team . Keary has taken some flak but they  need much more from both halves for a start 

Just now, DavidM said:

That backline looked disjointed offensively and vulnerable defensively . Queensland had good success on the fringes . I think Crichton should have played originally , Fittler will stick with Wighton I’d guess 

I didn't call out Fittler for picking Wighton at left centre.  He was very effective there last year and so deserved to keep his spot.

But the difference now is that NSW are one down and Crichton has had a stand out year on the left side for the Panthers in their run to the Grand Final and I think he should be in for game 2.

15 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Are you from Darrington near Pontefract?  As when I saw your ‘logo’ in blue I initially thought you were from NSW.

Adelaide Oval is a beautiful ground where they have incorporated heritage with the new build a few years ago.  Been to the MCG and while it has history the stands IMHO have no unique character.

Yes, that’s right. Not that far from Cas! You may be disappointed to hear I follow Rovers. 😀 Great to have you with us. We have a nice mix on here of folk from UK, Oz, NZ and worldwide. 

With reference to earlier comments about the apparent early final whistle. The NRL have clarified what happened. Here’s a tweet from Warren Smith:

“Don’t shoot the ref! In 2014 the NRL changed the way the clock counts down the final seconds of a game for the referee. The TV clock is independent of the official clock, with the seconds counted down in the referees earpiece. Storm-Dragons finish on MNF 2014, changed the system.”

7 hours ago, Graham said:

With reference to earlier comments about the apparent early final whistle. The NRL have clarified what happened. Here’s a tweet from Warren Smith:

“Don’t shoot the ref! In 2014 the NRL changed the way the clock counts down the final seconds of a game for the referee. The TV clock is independent of the official clock, with the seconds counted down in the referees earpiece. Storm-Dragons finish on MNF 2014, changed the system.”

In lower grade games these days, if there`s any doubt whether the ball has been played when the siren goes, refs err on the side of calling time early. Defenders sometimes stop playing when they hear the bell, and even though it`s their fault for not knowing the rules, it still means controversy, which officials are understandably keen to avoid.

15 hours ago, DavidM said:

. I also think that’s two big games in a row that Cleary hasn’t really taken a grip of , I thought he was poor .

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/queensland-s-storm-connection-have-unlocked-secret-to-stopping-cleary-20201106-p56c52.html

Thought you might be interested.

Archived