Boring

GUBRATS

1 minute ago, whatmichaelsays said:

I'd rather replace the hard cap with an FFP-style system. Instead of a blanket cap that's pegged to what the smaller clubs can afford, make the cap a turnover-based system - the cap essentially becominga club-by-club limit based on the lower of 60% of turnover or a much higher hard ceiling. 

I'd look at what mechanisms you could put in place to limit the influence of "directors loans" (to avoid the issue of "financial doping" that you see in football's FFP system) and if clubs want to compete with the big boys, the onus is on them to grow the business to facilitate that. 

On the one hand I get that, on the other, the vast disparity between some of our clubs, even with directors loans, is already massive.

Whilst I think an FFP style percentage could work in general fiscal terms, the truth is that for Wakefield or Salford or even a Leigh or Newcastle from the lower divisions to consistently break into that group of clubs contesting, and even smaller group that is winning, the top competitions in our game, they require major financial injections. I do like how a percentage of turnover could work to encourage growth of the clubs as businesses though.

I think an element of reverse feedback loop should be looked at. F1 is giving lower placed teams more wind tunnel development time. NFL famously has draft picks weighted towards the weaker teams from the year before. Considering a major problem in RL is that the less successful clubs have to spend more for less, perhaps a leeway on the basic cap could be a solution to readdress the imbalance?

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I think an element of reverse feedback loop should be looked at. F1 is giving lower placed teams more wind tunnel development time. NFL famously has draft picks weighted towards the weaker teams from the year before. Considering a major problem in RL is that the less successful clubs have to spend more for less, perhaps a leeway on the basic cap could be a solution to readdress the imbalance?

Tommy this is the sort of thinking needed but some clubs like the monoply of success.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

Or were the greediest?

Or the slowest to react?

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

Or were the greediest?

Or simply stupid but rich, like nice by dim only investment heavy and missed the memo (in Hollander) about them going down as well as up!

31 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Tommy this is the sort of thinking needed but some clubs like the monoply of success.

To some extent yes, but equally clubs such as your own, Wakefield, Hull KR and in the past London for example don't spend the cap either so its a bit problematic when it comes to that.

On 22/11/2020 at 20:09, Tommygilf said:

I'm not sure about your solution but you're spot on with the problem. 

Off the top of my head, NFL and F1 have some form of breaking negative feedback loops. Maybe that is something the game can explore?

Equally I agree, the game at the top has to be open to greater money being spent. Running everything by this low standard ensures the top clubs remain unchallenged.

I I was just thinking of an idea but I would change the cap rule which says that you can’t exceed the cap whatsoever to say that you can exceed the cap but there would have to be some sort of penalty, whether it is what I suggested or something like having a reduced cap for the next season.

10 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

spacer.png

Just leaving this here. 

Do you want to actually explain your point ?

Pretty much 79 minutes was fairly boring , two teams battering away at each other with not much real quality on show , plenty of offsides could have been pulled but weren't , incredible finish 

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Pretty much 79 minutes was fairly boring , two teams battering away at each other with not much real quality on show , plenty of offsides could have been pulled but weren't , incredible finish 

You should have watched tonight's game on Sky. Saints V Wigan in the Grand Final. The complete opposite of the game you watched.

24 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I couldn't care less what you think 

Clearly you do care what people think, or you wouldn't have started a thread.

FWIW, that was a cracking final - one based on brutal and uncompromising defence, rather than than care-free attacking abandon. 

We all like to see tries, but that was a classic of resilience, determination and stubbornness.

An 80 minute Grand Final that is decided after 79 minutes and 59 seconds? Yes please. 

49 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

If you can't appreciate the skill on display in the defence, the brutal hits, the desperate plays in defence to stop some certain tries, then I don't think you like the sport as much as you think you do.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

9 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Well Gubby you got the offsides right!

That was a great psychological and strategic game, a close run thing, that could've gone either way and ended dramatically. I don't know what you were watching??

The eye of the beholder comes to mind once again. It may be you're just tired of the game, take a break for a while and come back to it later. And don't listen to anyone on a forum. This comes recomended to you by our sponsor today Wellbeing.co.uk.

52 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Well Gubby you got the offsides right!

That was a great psychological and strategic game, a close run thing, that could've gone either way and ended dramatically. I don't know what you were watching??

The eye of the beholder comes to mind once again. It may be you're just tired of the game, take a break for a while and come back to it later. And don't listen to anyone on a forum. This comes recomended to you by our sponsor today Wellbeing.co.uk.

Take a break ? , I've not watched a game for 8 months 

I notice you think it's funny John , it's live rugby watching a team I have an emotional attachment to I class as my involvement in RL , not just watching on TV

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

Take a break ? , I've not watched a game for 8 months 

Except for last night? And with one you were not happy about in the first place?🤒

4 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Except for last night? And with one you were not happy about in the first place?🤒

I preferred last year's without doubt , a classic story with some open attacking play , helped as I put by a ref keeping both teams onside allowing space to play 

By allowing them to be constantly offside it encouraged the defensive battle 

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

I preferred last year's without doubt , a classic story with some open attacking play , helped as I put by a ref keeping both teams onside allowing space to play 

No last years was better beacuse it had SRD in it, innit? It was a different type of game but just one sided enough for it to be less entertaining. And offside seems to be an area where you noticed last night but didn't pick up last year, that's interesting in itself.

6 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I found last year rather dull as a game. A bit like 2017. Only 1 side in it as the other froze like rabbits in headlights. Eminently predictable sadly as the "open play underdog" got taught a lesson in winning a grand final. This year instead was in the balance all the way till literally the final second.

Oh and this year Wigan lost, in truly heartbreaking fashion, which has to be a positive.

Archived